• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Chest exercises

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What is your favorite isolation and compound exercise for chest?

A brief description why they are your favorite would be nice!

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Isolation? Do you mean single joint movement?

FEVER

FEVER

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
decline barbell press with the bar placed high on the chest is freaking incredible.

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I would say bench and horizontal flyes.

I do think db flyes is the best movement for chest development. At least in my case..

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yes, isolation, is single joint like flyes etc.

So you mean a fly exercise that isolates the anterior deltoid, pec major, pec minor and has co-contribution from the triceps and biceps, lateral deltoid and serratus?

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I only train chest once or twice a month. My chest routine is either 1. Flat bench and incline dumbells press or 2. Incline bench and flat dumbell press...

I used to train it every 5 days... then once a week... then twice a week... then every two weeks... Ive noticed my chest grows faster the less i train it and sticking with only those two compound exercises.. I dont do any "isolation" excercises, if i did i would do cable cross overs just for the pump (for fun coz pumps feel cool) but i dont do any type of fly movement, its uncomfortable for my shoulders and hurts my chest tendons.

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So you mean a fly exercise that isolates the anterior deltoid, pec major, pec minor and has co-contribution from the triceps and biceps, lateral deltoid and serratus?

Tim i'm not sure whether your just being a smart ass now! How hard it is, your fav fly type movement for chest and your favourite press! Enough of your anatomy 101 circle jerking! Post some exercises!

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Incline bench and incline flies are my favs for the last 2 years or so. In my chest routine I have like 4 exercises, and prefer sometimes to superset a pressing with a fly exercise.

decline barbell press with the bar placed high on the chest is freaking incredible.

I've seen that in a training video of Brandon Curry and tried it for a couple of times. Felt great.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim i'm not sure whether your just being a smart ass now! How hard it is, your fav fly type movement for chest and your favourite press! Enough of your anatomy 101 circle jerking! Post some exercises!

Of course I'm being a smart ass. I hate the term isolation because there is nothing of the sort occuring. I'm also not a fan of flyes, they are a ****house exercise.

My current favourite "chest" exercises are the good old bench, band bench presses and pushups. Although I have been doing some heavier weighted dips recently and they rock too.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
ironheart

ironheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bench press and incline db press (rarely do these cause my ****ing gym dont have heavy db's. heavy db's seems to be tabu in a lot of gyms these days) are my favorite compuond movements, i also like dips :)

cable flyes for isolation.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I like de dumbell presses ....

J

jackseoexp

Isolated exercises are great for minor tweaking, however for those looking to make significant changes they are not ideal. Here are five reasons why isolation exercises may not be your best option.
1) Number Of Muscle Fibers Stimulated:
2)
Reduced Time In The Gym:
3)
Greatest Release Of Hormones:
4)
Reduce The Risk Of Overtraining:
5)
More Time To Focus On Other Aspects Of Your Fitness:

R

ronnie12

I think bench is best, push ups are also good. They will warm you up for further chest exercises...

J

jacky

There are alot of exercises that you can do for chest. dumbell presses gonna help alot in your matter.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Incline bench and incline flies are my favs for the last 2 years or so. In my chest routine I have like 4 exercises, and prefer sometimes to superset a pressing with a fly exercise.

lol after browsing this thread again, and seeing my reply at the time, I realized that I haven't changed them. I'm still doing these exercises, and every now and then I do some incline hammer strength just to try something new (watched too many Jay and Phil chest training vids lol), but other than that I'm sticking to incline bb bench, incline db press, flies and dips.

A

AndroGenetX

Compound- Weighted Dips because they are my squat equivalent for my upper body.
Isolation- Flat dumbbell fly because it's the only "isolation" type movement I do for chest.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The upper chest is built by exercises done on a 30-45% incline bench- barbell and dumbbell bench press- or inclined dumbbell flyes are great upper chest exercises. The middle chest shows growth from exercises on a flat bench.