• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Protein powder and cholesterol

xtacy

xtacy

i'm using optimum nutrition %100 whey protein powder.

last week i got my blood checked and it turns out my cholesterol level was way high for my age. i checked powder's ingridients and i saw one scoop involves 30 mg cholesterol. i take 2 scoops per day 4 times a week.

anyone had the same problem before? any suggestions on low cholesterol protein powders?

thanks in advance.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
There are good and bad cholesterols. You'd need to know the breakdown of those before you get worried. That said, I've managed to significantly reduce my cholesterol levels (7.2 down to 4.9) while using protein powder regularly so I highly doubt that its worth worrying about.

Clean your diet up, increase good fats and omega 3 intakes (avocado, tuna, salmon, etc), exercise.

cereal

cereal

Cholestor is story made up by pharmaceuticals... without cholestelor one would be dead.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Cholestor is story made up by pharmaceuticals... without cholestelor one would be dead.

Seriously??? Your ignorance is harmful to other's health.

xtacy said:
i'm using optimum nutrition %100 whey protein powder.

last week i got my blood checked and it turns out my cholesterol level was way high for my age. i checked powder's ingridients and i saw one scoop involves 30 mg cholesterol. i take 2 scoops per day 4 times a week.

anyone had the same problem before? any suggestions on low cholesterol protein powders?

thanks in advance.

First thing to consider is that diet has a minimal impact on blood cholesterol - ~80% is manufactured by the body, or ~3000mg. The next thing is to consider your general bodyfat levels and family history of cholesterol. Freako is spot on about his points. Some fats do promote upregulation of blood cholesterol, but this is only in ~30% of the population who are sensitive to this. Thus lowering saturated fats and increasing "good fats" can be beneficial. The next point to consider is being fitter and healthier, basically being reasonably lean and being active can improve your normal usage and production of cholesterol.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Says cholesterol religious guy.

Do you play with parked cars or are you this stupid naturally?

Cholesterol is a very well understood part of the body and diet. Scientific research has been done on this topic for decades. Read some science, it has been known to cure idiocy.

A

Asher99

Its good to know, thanks for sharing. Tell me one thing.
I recently watched a documentary on the protein powder that it can cause
liver cancer.
Comment??

K

kathleenjames

Firstly cut down all oilly foods items from your daily meal list and start jumping,running,swimming all theses exercise consumed your energy and burned your extra calories.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A high protein diet and protein powders are not unhealthy, and a high protein diet has a lot of health benefits - protein powder is a good way to bolster your protein intake. I think the real problem with these powders is poor nutrition. A lot of these products are unbalanced and have to much sugar, artificial flavors, perservatives and a lot of other unnatural things, you don't want to eat.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There are good and bad cholesterols. You'd need to know the breakdown of those before you get worried. That said, I've managed to significantly reduce my cholesterol levels (7.2 down to 4.9) while using protein powder regularly so I highly doubt that its worth worrying about.

Clean your diet up, increase good fats and omega 3 intakes (avocado, tuna, salmon, etc), exercise.

You are right that there are 2 types of cholesterol - the good and the bad. If the bad is high but the good is also high then it is like being neutralized. Maybe you have to check which kind of cholesterol is over the allowed limit. I am drinking lemon grass tea for my bad cholesterol and it is now controlled.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Some supplements we do take in order to enhance our health are bound to have some side effects when they are not used properly.

Maybe the cause of your high cholesterol might be as a result of not taking the supplements as they were prescribed.

J

jpk0007

Well, that is very true. One has to be very particular when taking any health supplements. Generally people do not follow the guidelines that are expected to be followed while taking these supplements. People either completely don't take them regularly or they may go overboard and consume more than the stipulated quantity which may result in negative effects. One has to follow all the guidelines in order to get optimum results from these supplements.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, that is very true. One has to be very particular when taking any health supplements. Generally people do not follow the guidelines that are expected to be followed while taking these supplements. People either completely don't take them regularly or they may go overboard and consume more than the stipulated quantity which may result in negative effects. One has to follow all the guidelines in order to get optimum results from these supplements.

Well, to chip in another important point in what have already mentioned above, it's a very common problem especially with African or developing countries citizens to not take the proper channels when it comes to taking drugs and supplements likewise. They are so much into getting drugs over the counter and taking self medication. This is so very wrong and a serious danger to one's general health. There have been many news about some people getting hospitalized as a result of self medications and use of over the counter drugs.