• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Preferred Method of Squatting

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Everyone fears squat day, it suck there no getting around it yet it's an awesome exercise that hits muscle in no other way shape or form.
So my question is that is your preferred method of squatting? Why is there a difference.

Personally while people knock my favorite method is Front Squats, reason why is because it focuses on the upper and front quads more and also works the back which ultimately helps both my squat and my deadlift.
I like it when an exercise compliments or aids another usually for a month I'll do nothing but front squat then spend another two month afterwards doing regular wide stance squats.. I'll write it out.

January: Front Squats Only.
February: regular wide stance squats
March: regular wide stance squats
April: Front Squats Only.
May: Regular Narrow Stance Squats
June: Regular Narrow Stance Squats
July: Front Squats Only.
August: regular wide stance squats
September: regular wide stance squats
October: Front Squats Only.
November: Regular Narrow Stance Squats
December: Regular Narrow Stance Squats

I find that not only does this add variety to my leg workouts but at the same time allows focus on multiple areas of the quad throughout the year helping to increase overall strength and explosiveness factor.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
I preffer Bellow Parallel - ATG squats with a shoulder width stance.

I feel like much less pressure on my knees and gut this way. I used to like front squats a lot but i felt a lot of pressure on my abdomen as well as other areas during that exercise. Sometimes i just do the hammerstrength hacksquat with the same stance. I do a lot of narrow and shorter range of motion squats as accessories for quads but i feel like my typical quat is good for overall leg development, my posture feels comfortable during them and it releives pressure off my gut (I hate the feeling of kuatu trying to reach out of me during exercises).

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
I find the shoulder stance to be the best for me both for strength and muscular development.

One thing I do think it helps a lot is arm position, if you grab the bar in a narrow way it forces you chest to come out and up allowing for a correct back posture and bar positioning. giving you an overall better and stronger squat.

Like this:

pic_1207506524_3-1.gif

Instead of this:

EdCoanSquat-1.jpg

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
January: Front Squats Only.
February: regular wide stance squats
March: regular wide stance squats
April: Front Squats Only.
May: Regular Narrow Stance Squats
June: Regular Narrow Stance Squats
July: Front Squats Only.
August: regular wide stance squats
September: regular wide stance squats
October: Front Squats Only.
November: Regular Narrow Stance Squats
December: Regular Narrow Stance Squats

I squat ATG, shoulder width stance (slightly wider), Kai Greene style, like in his latest video on flexonline.com, and alternate every 2 or so weeks with front squats (were my fav some time ago).

Your routine is interesting though. I'm gonna give it a try.

dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
@ Paki's pic, i don't like how he has his heels raised. I think that increases pressure to the forefoot and knees.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
"Paki's pic" Hunh?
Raised heels is preferred by weight lifters, apparently it gives them a little bit of added leverage... personally I like flat footed squats though.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I used to keep my hands widened out to the plate but only do that with narrow squats now, I've adapted my hand placement more and more to narrow because it does force your chest to "puff" out better and keep a better squat posture and technique.

TkD that method is awesome, it's kept my legs getting stronger and keeps my muscles from getting use to any one method while still keeping the squat workouts consistent and building larger, I've actually increased my squat by 150 lbs since implementing that method of leg training over the course of 2 years.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I prefer to squat medium and deep with a high bar and narrow grip. Even if I'm going wider and low bar I tend to keep a deep squat and narrow grip. Variety is good, especially if you are squatting anything over 1.5xBW. At that level it is good to rotate away from high box, back squat and low rep stuff for periods to take stress off of the spine and joints. Front squats and band squats can be great in this respect.

Throughout the year I will rotate what sort of squats I use, usually rotating between front squats, back squats, box squats, band squats etc. Although just recently I've had knee problems (strained patella tendon) and have moved away from single leg work, especially lunges and step downs, which I use as accessories. This last month I haven't been able to do any leg work, hoping that the knee recovers with just cycling.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Sorry to hear about your tendon, but yeah that was my sentiments especially on an excersice that can lay such heavy stress on the joints and while I hate doing high reps on the squat mostly cause it hurts I do them anyway for that very reason, good input tim.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think the knee is getting better. I deadlifted the other night without any issues, I'll front squat tomorrow to see how it fares. I had been on the road to a 200kg squat by the end of the year, but I'll be happy to have the knee healthy and comfortable with anything over 140kg again now.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff