• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Scoliosis

xtacy

xtacy

i'm 28. just been diagnosed with this ****ing shit. turns out i was born with it but never noticed. it's not that serious now but my doctor said i shouldn't be touching weights again or else i can be severely injured in the future. he said i should only walk, swim and do chin ups along with some exercises to strenghten my back. didn't say anything about push ups but i guess they are ok too. quitting weight training is simply devastating.

anyone else here has/had the same problem? if so how did you deal with it?

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
xtacy:

I do not have the medical problem that you do, but I did quit weight training because my class schedule did not allow for it. For the first month was difficult but it was easy to not be concerned with it when I used my time elsewhere. Get another hobby. I immersed my self in my education. I don't miss the gym at all and I am glad I chose to focus on my education. Honestly, bodybuilding is not all that healthy anyways. Your kidney and liver have to do a lot of work to deal with all that food, you are likely better off with out it. Also, if you are interested in the mind/body aspect of weight training then the weight you use does not matter, why not just go through the motions with really really light weight. Being huge is a waste of time, in my opinion.

I think you will find this much less of an issue if you find something you enjoy to replace it.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ I agree with the "why not go through the motions with really really light weights" bit!
Look with Chinups you are NOT really lifting light... so not sure why you are considering chin ups... but BigBen is right in that you can do almost all the exercises with very little weight!

COACH

COACH

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
We are 3 in the same direction!
Faithfully believe, that physical activity puts you at a disadvantage if you do not take
Proper instructions!
For my taste and experience in the sport and with this disease
Start working without any type of high impact activity you can enjoy
physical activity as any other normal person!
Because if you have good muscular support around the joints
You'll feel less effect when these, starting to degenerate their composition

I have that limitation for over 15 years and this has limited me
Only a high-impact activities
Try working with some professional sport an Athletic Trainer
And learn how to live with your limitations!

I wish you luck, thanks for sharing!
hug

i'm 28. just been diagnosed with this ****ing shit. turns out i was born with it but never noticed. it's not that serious now but my doctor said i shouldn't be touching weights again or else i can be severely injured in the future. he said i should only walk, swim and do chin ups along with some exercises to strenghten my back. didn't say anything about push ups but i guess they are ok too. quitting weight training is simply devastating.

anyone else here has/had the same problem? if so how did you deal with it?

xtacy:

I do not have the medical problem that you do, but I did quit weight training because my class schedule did not allow for it. For the first month was difficult but it was easy to not be concerned with it when I used my time elsewhere. Get another hobby. I immersed my self in my education. I don't miss the gym at all and I am glad I chose to focus on my education. Honestly, bodybuilding is not all that healthy anyways. Your kidney and liver have to do a lot of work to deal with all that food, you are likely better off with out it. Also, if you are interested in the mind/body aspect of weight training then the weight you use does not matter, why not just go through the motions with really really light weight. Being huge is a waste of time, in my opinion.

I think you will find this much less of an issue if you find something you enjoy to replace it.

^ I agree with the "why not go through the motions with really really light weights" bit!
Look with Chinups you are NOT really lifting light... so not sure why you are considering chin ups... but BigBen is right in that you can do almost all the exercises with very little weight!

xtacy

xtacy

ty all for responses.

well at first it was devastating to hear that i won't be able to do something i enjoy this much but i'm starting to get over it. i also valued weight lifting this much because i'm tiny (only 5'4) and my ultimate goal was to get big. but after all health comes first. gonna start swimming regularly and probably do pilates. heard it helps.

speaking of chin ups/pull ups. my doctor told me to do them. they strengthen back without putting pressure on it.

once again thanks you for answers.

pakiman

pakiman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Best of luck... and like BigBen said theres a whole world out there outside of BBing... and a very good one I might add! Go get em :)

The King Of Lurkers

The King Of Lurkers

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Agree with all of the above, stay positive and healthy

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have scoliosis. I've been diagnosed at 13 years old. I have an "S" in my spine, almost 22º of angle, in my lower back my spine goes to the right, on my upper back to the left. I have therapy for a couple of years and I was very good at controlling my muscles around my back, so the scoliosis never went worse.

I've been weight training since 17 y/o, I train HARD, I do every exercice I want and yeah, I need to control my gut more than the average Joe, maybe I get some more aches in my lower back while squatting, etc, but I've been never told I shouldn't lift! In fact, I don't want to know how painful I'll be if I didn't lift weights/have an strong back.

I also have pain in one on my foot if I ran more than 10 mins, that's because my hip gets more weight than my left hip.

You'll live with the scoliosis all your life and you'll probably get used to it.