• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Shoulder Pain when bench pressing

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Hey guys,

I have been trying to push up the weight on my chest work out and have started getting some sharp pains in my left shoulder. Is this something I can work through or is there something wrong with my shoulder? It is only the left side but it is very painful and I am not sure if I over did it or not.

I last did chest on Thursday and wanted to do a light chest day on Saturday but it was too painful. Later today I am thinking about trying again with less weight, no power sets but I am not sure if this is something I need to let heal or not.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
My brother has the same problem with the left shoulder when barbell bench pressing. Try working only with the dumbbells for a while, see how it goes.

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
I will try that. I think it is my rotator cuff. I am not sure if I over did it or if it will heal but I had to back off on weight for now and not do power sets. Sucks..

T

teamuscle

I have been having serious pains in my left shoulder when I am pressing as well. It had gotten so bad that I had to spend a few weeks out of the gym just to recover. These days I just try to take it a bit easy when I am benching.

L

ljwright

Yes I agree with him, try using dumbbells to see if there's any change in the stress on your shoulder muscle. What about something like cable crossover?

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Yes I agree with him, try using dumbbells to see if there's any change in the stress on your shoulder muscle. What about something like cable crossover?
I had to back off on the weight and have been doing inclined instead. For some reason they are not as painful.

I tried dumbbells but it was actually more painful.

My shoulder feels better and I'm able to do the inclines ok now but I'm afraid to start boosting the poundage again.

Thanks for the reply and for participating here.

T

teamuscle

This is something that I have been experiencing a lot of as late as well but sometimes the pain comes on and I am not even in the gym at the time and I am thinking to myself what it wrong. The pain always comes in my left shoulder so I went and used Google to see if there was anything that I could read up on and I found something on one of those pages that said something about heart attacks and such. I think that I will go to see the doctor on Monday and find out what it is that is really going on with my body because it isn't something that I am accustomed to. I think that just to be safe that you should just go and see a doc before the pain gets any worst and then it becomes something that you have to live with for the rest of your life.

K

kellyleon

well shoulder is the secondary muscle when doing chest workout. Try to lift weight by the strength of your arms, not with shoulders and squeeze your chest. May be this will help you.

xyzhustler

xyzhustler

you ever tried foam rolling. There are some awesome videos that can help you, buddies have told me it's done great for them, massage would work too. Lotions (emu oil based like Blue Goo), anything to release tension would be great. Try doing rotator cuff exercises with minimal weight, like seated cuff curls - i believe thats what theyre called warm up with some of them with really light weight with controlled and medium pace

SamClemensMT

SamClemensMT

Hi friend. You should keep in mind that injuries will take time to heel, or you can really mess yourself up. Very bad weight training injury can take months to to heal. By getting back in the gym too early you could turn a simple injury into a nightmare. I'm speaking from experience. What you want to do is see a doctor before it's too late. Goodluck!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
T

teamuscle

I am still going through something that is like this. I have been having some pains in my shoulder as of late. I am going to the doctor to have it checked out but lately I have been thinking that the best thing that I can do is just lower the amount of weight that I have been using so that I do not damage myself more then what has already been done.

W

wulfman

I don't workout even if I am sore so if there is pain then stop immediately. I doubt you are doing anything wrong since it is a simple press. Work through the pain is not a good idea man. Let it heal, and if it does not get it checked out. Once you are good to go, then go full force again in the gym.