• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

A look at a few advantages of owning a home gym

A

ASimpson86

Author

A look at a few advantages of owning a home gym

Hi there. Before I proceed any further, I feel I should just point out that I am in no way affiliated with any supplement companies, home gym equipment manufacturers, or any other health and/or fitness-based communities. I’m simply an avid fan of bodybuilding, with a passion for the sport, as well as a passion for writing too, which is how I earn my living. The views and opinions expressed within my articles are mine and mine alone.

Now that we’ve gotten the boring and formal legal stuff out of the way, let’s get down to business and talk about home gyms. We all know just how tough life can be financially, especially with Christmas just around the corner, and unfortunately, not all of us can afford luxuries such as gas for our vehicles on top of expensive gym memberships, which is why many of us simply go through the motions at this time of year, working out when we can, and picking things up in the (incredibly busy) New Year. A great way of saving money in the long haul, and ensuring that you can work out pretty much whenever you like, is to invest in home gym equipment and set up your gym at home. There are several advantages associated with owning a home gym, so let’s take a look at a few of the more beneficial ones, shall we?

Convenience – One of the best things about training at home is the convenience of the entire operation. If you’re heading back from work, you don’t need to take a detour and head out to the gym from the office, you can come straight home, throw on some sweats, and get your workout in as soon as you get home. Alternatively, you can wake up a little earlier, work out in the morning, jump in the shower, and head to the office, safe in the knowledge that you’ve gotten your workout out of the way, so you can essentially relax and unwind once you get home. With a home gym, there is no traveling to and from the gym, which can add hours onto your day, hours which you may not have.

No huge crowds – This is especially appropriate at this time of year as we’ll soon be seeing an influx of “New Year’s Resolutioners” who has promised to lose their holiday weight and “get into the best shape of their lives” for the New Year. Needless to say that 90% of them quit after the first two weeks, but those first few weeks can make working out in commercial gyms a real nightmare. You’ll have people constantly shouting at one another, queuing up for machines and equipment, jumping onto machines the second you get up to grab some water, snapping “selfies” of their 13.5” biceps so they can upload them to Facebook and Instagram, and just generally annoying the crap out of you. With a home gym however, you can listen to the music you like, as loud as you like, without huge crowds of people getting in your way, rushing you, and stealing your equipment the second your back is turned.

Cost-effective – Another great benefit of owning a home gym is that they’re so hugely cost-effective. All you need is a spare room or a garage, a decent adjustable bench, a set of dumbbells, a barbell Olympic set, and preferably a power rack or squat rack and you now have all of the tools to get a fantastic workout in that hits all of your major muscle groups. If you do have the added luxury of a spare garage or open space, you can perhaps pick up some more complex pieces of equipment, with sites such as Craigslist proving extremely useful for snagging a bargain. Many of the IFBB pros and former pros choose to work out at home 90% of the time, and if you’ve ever seen 8x former Mr. Olympia winner Ronnie Coleman’s home gym, you’ll see that with the right space, (and funds) you can create a hell of a gym. Not only will you be saving on gas money, but you will also be saving on expensive gym memberships too, and with a little research, you can pick up some great deals online.

You create the environment that you enjoy – Some of you love the dark, dingy, dungeon-type appeal of gyms such as Metroflex and Dorian Yates’ Temple Gym in the UK, and so do many of the pros. Branch Warren immediately springs to mind for some reason. These gyms are dark, the weights and bars are rusting, the mats are caked in chalk and dust, the music is loud and laden with expletives, and many of you will no doubt thrive in that environment. For others, however, you may prefer shiny new equipment, natural light, and mats that don’t emit a cloud of dust when you set down your dumbbells. What I’m getting at here is that with a home gym, you can set things the way you like them. If you like things neat and are borderline OCD (like me) then you can keep your gym and your equipment neat, clean, and tidy. If the underground dungeon look is what motivates you, then great, crank up the volume, set down the vacuum, and go pump some heavy iron. You create the right environment that helps motivate you and drives you to have fantastic workouts day in and day out.

Last edited by a moderator:
tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
Great read. I completely agree.

It's been a dream of mine to have my own home gym in the near future. I need more space first, then a power rack where one could also do some pull ups / dips and of course squats..etc. This setup would save me a lot of time: going to the gym, making my way through the crowd, waiting for others to use a bench or something, and more.

G

GOTGrowth

Owning a home gym everything is right in front of you. With the only thing keep you from the weights is yourself. Its an advantage over regular gyms because you have the time and privacy to develop a strong muscle mind connections.

A

ASimpson86

Author
Completely agree with all of the above. I'll try and get some pics up of my current setup at some point in the near future.

T

teamuscle

I used to think that having a home gym was not a good idea until I decided to set one up for myself. Like the things that you have said in the article the amount of benefits that I have gotten from having a home gym are huge. I just like the fact that I do not have to wait until someone finishes with one machine so that I can use it. When I have to wait on someone I lose my momentum easily.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If there was one, smaller (about the size of a treadmill) piece of equipment that would be considered a Must Have at home, what would it be? I am looking to expand my home gym and no one uses the treadmill any longer, so I now have about that much space. So far, I have a set of dumbbells and..well, that is it. :)

ArnoldS

ArnoldS

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If there was one, smaller (about the size of a treadmill) piece of equipment that would be considered a Must Have at home, what would it be? I am looking to expand my home gym and no one uses the treadmill any longer, so I now have about that much space. So far, I have a set of dumbbells and..well, that is it. :)
I still use a treadmill and my only other equipment is a bench press and weights.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hmmm....a bench and weights for it should fill the same spot. If the bench folds up towards the weights, it will have the same storage footprint as the treadmill when it is folded up too. Have to do some searches now.

Mountain-Man

Mountain-Man

i wish i had a home gym no matter how small just need the basics and i would be in heaven

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That's a good idea but I be from time to tome you'll miss the motivation of "competing" against other guys. You'll eventually need some "inspiration".

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am more motivated when I notice the women looking at me in the mirror. :)

A

animal87

I have a little home gum in my garage. Squat rack, adjustable bench, few random db's., very old cable machine lol