• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Rack Pull vs Dead Lift - Good and Bad of both?

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have done some research into rack lifts vs dead lifts and have found it mainly falls into two camps, those who say only the dead lift can do the job properly and those who say rack pulls are a perfectly acceptable replacement provided you work your legs properly in other ways.

What do you all think? I value the opinion here far more than I trust what I can find on the Internet!

TalkAdmin

TalkAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
Staff
Well the rack definitely helps you get the correct form but the dead lift uses more muscles to stabilize so I'm not sure which is better.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That makes me think - would it be beneficial to do rack lifts for a few month, THEN mov to dead lifts to carry the routine a step further?

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That makes me think - would it be beneficial to do rack lifts for a few month, THEN mov to dead lifts to carry the routine a step further?
Would be great to alternate every workout!

jimyiapanis

jimyiapanis

I'd stick to deadlifting (vary grips, stance). Why short change yourself with a partial movement? Use rack pulls as a tool to improve that part of the range of motion if need be.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good points everyone. I like the idea of alternating rack and dead, both appear to have their place.

If someone is new and is at Planet Fitness, were you have to use a Smith Machine for deads, are there any benefit to them over racks? I have a friend who is asking.

BruceBanner

BruceBanner

I've never been there.

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've never been there.

I assume you have used, or at least are quite familiar with, a smith machine though. Doing dead lifts in them sucks, due to the angle the smith machine makes you move the bar. My friend lacks the confidence to go to a move expensive place that has free weights, such as Gold's Gym (which is only 2 miles away from the Planet Fitness), because he is still around 45% body fat. He is worried about being judged, and from the people I have seen at that specific Gold's Gym, he is right - they would judge him. I am helping him work out and setup a meal plan to lose fat so he gains the confidence to go to a real gym. Though I have to say, there are MUCH more fine looking women at the Planet Fitness. For only $10 a month, it might be worth it to have a membership to both gyms - one to get fit and the other to pickup hot women (which is easier because of being fit from the other gym). :)

So anyway, with this info in mind, would there be any benefit to doing Deads over Racks if a Smith Machine must be used?

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
I've been doing deadlifts for the past few months (haven't done them since 2010 or so) and I learned to love them again. I would say for bodybuilding, you can get away and be safer with rack pulls. If overall strength is your goal, then the deadlifts are the main choice.

Reactions: cybrsage