• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

5 worst exercise to do in the gym?

Vickeree

Vickeree

I've read in a recent articles that these are the five worst exercises to do in the gym
1. Machine leg extenstion
2. chest flyes
3. Behind the neck shoulder presses
4. Upright row
5. Dumbbell isolation curls

Basically the article said that it's better to do compound exercises that develops functional movement rather than isolation and machine exercises because they make you prone to injury. I agree that compound exercises are great but I think machines have their place too! Which ones of these do you do in the gym?

C

cybrsage

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I do four of the five!!!

2. Chest flyes
4. Upright row

I LOVE the machine leg extension!! It burs so dang good!

Pushtoday

Pushtoday

I've read in a recent articles that these are the five worst exercises to do in the gym
2. chest flyes
3. Behind the neck shoulder presses
4. Upright row

Basically the article said that it's better to do compound exercises that develops functional movement rather than isolation and machine exercises because they make you prone to injury. I agree that compound exercises are great but I think machines have their place too! Which ones of these do you do in the gym?

I do 3 of the 5
Leg Extensions. I alternate doing them before compound move and after, change each week.
Upright Row. I like them with dumbbells. Doesn't limit range of motion as much.
Dumbbell isolation curls. Great finishing move, good squeeze and higher reps for me.

I agree compound movements are a must. But these movements help target specific areas.

tkD

tkD

Administrator
Staff
VIP
#1 worst to do in a gym is to curl in the squat rack. :icon_mrgreen:

111kg

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How about deadlifts with a curved back? I see a lot of people at the gym trying to lift heavy weights and I cringe every time. It is called bodybuilding for a reason, not powerlifting.

Vickeree

Vickeree

I guess it all depends on the context and on your goals. If you have a specific weakness, then doing some of the exercise above would help...

CRobin

CRobin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
4 of the 5! My shoulders cant handle behind the neck movements.

Did the article say why machines made you more prone to injury?

- - - Updated - - -

4 of the 5! My shoulders cant handle behind the neck movements any more.

Did the article say why machines make one more prone to injury?

KaiGold

KaiGold

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Squats can be dangerous of not done properly.

As for machines I think people get over confident.

Posted using the Musclemecca App!

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would make sure to use the proper form first of all, when it come to the gym or doing any exercise at all. The leg press is one exercise that is mechanically bad for your body, because it puts a lot stress on your knees and lower back.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I wouldn't do anything leg weight press or push up for any reason whatsoever because I saw one horrible gym disaster one day when one guy was pushing up massive weight with his legs and they crushed his bones. He became a cripple for life as a result of the accident.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am not a gym enthusiast but we have a dumbbell at home that I use for exercising my arms when I am not feeling well. My main exercise is push-up but I couldn't do that when I have a cold or fever that I resort to the dumbbell for a light exercise. But I don't do excessive dumbbell exercises because I don't want to hurt the joints of my elbow an wrist.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would make sure to use the proper form first of all, when it come to the gym or doing any exercise at all. The leg press is one exercise that is mechanically bad for your body, because it puts a lot stress on your knees and lower back.

You have a very good point about making sure you are using the proper form in carrying out any workout drills which you do at the gym.

Without getting the form well, the exercise is almost useless because you won't get the best out of it.