• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Question on Chest

T

tgw85

I've seen some pics of Arnold when he was really young (age:20), and in some of the pics/vids of him (age 20) the very bottom of his chest looks slightly thicker then compared to some pics/vids of him in his prime (age:27/28). Almost as if while his whole chest was growing, the very bottom grew as well but got thinner?

My question is, AS YOUR VERY LOWER CHEST GROWS would it EVER start to physically get thinner? I don't mean atrophy, and I know the fibers don't "grow thinner". Once the muscle grows so big it starts to succumb to gravity, although slightly (like Branch Warren, Ronnie, or Arnold's chest). Well as it grows, it droops down more although slightly, again b/c gravity, and basically it looks like the chest gets longer as overall it gets bigger. As it starts to droop more, would it do it in such a way that the bottom becomes thinner and then keep getting thinner as it's growing and as this process continues?...Even though the fibers are still technically growing bigger?

For example, Ronnie Coleman (back in his prime)... if his chest were to keep growing... as it drooped down more, grant it slightly b/c of gravity, would it do it in such a way that the bottom gets thinner? OR would the bottom continue to get thicker and LOOK like it gets thicker?

Last edited:
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Its not that the lower part of the chest gets thinner it still grows, its that the upper chest gets a hell of a lot thicker.

Pickle

Pickle

Team Winklaar
VIP
seriouskm9-1.png

T

tgw85

Yeah, it is a serious question... how about some actuall bodybuilding insight?
Mr. Sarcastic Pickle Cat...

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Its not that the lower part of the chest gets thinner it still grows, its that the upper chest gets a hell of a lot thicker.

Its not that the lower part of the chest gets thinner it still grows, its that the upper chest gets a hell of a lot thicker

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^I agree with both Skeptic quotes.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To answer your question you can look at your surrounding statements.

If hypertrophy is about enlarging the muscle then ipso-facto the muscle gets larger. It won't get thinner, it won't get squashed under the force of gravity, etc, etc. If anything the intramuscular fat levels of a long term competitive BBer are likely to change and cause more definition to be shown.

T

tgw85

Its not that the lower part of the chest gets thinner it still grows, its that the upper chest gets a hell of a lot thicker

Okay, but you know I am not talking about atrophy, right? And I know the fibers did not "grow thinner". I mean, I know it got bigger, but am talking about how it appears (simply relaxed). I just don't want people think I'm asking if the bottom shrunk or atrophy, just would it ever start to appear thinner. I just want to be sure we're on the same page, thanks for answering btw.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I never mentioned anything about atrophy. The lower portion of the pectoral CAN appear smaller/thinner (whatever), mostly due to the growth of the upper portion of the chest.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
dilatedmuscle

dilatedmuscle

Mecca Super-*****
VIP
Everything else got bigger and more ballanced so his lower pecs were less overpowering.... Kinda like how steroids make your balls shrink but in turn make your cock look bigger by comparison.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
Everything else got bigger and more ballanced so his lower pecs were less overpowering.... Kinda like how steroids make your balls shrink but in turn make your cock look bigger by comparison.

lol wut? hahahaha

T

tgw85

I never mentioned anything about atrophy. The lower portion of the pectoral CAN appear smaller/thinner (whatever), mostly due to the growth of the upper portion of the chest.
Okay, but would the lower portion ever actually physically get thinner (physically appear thinner), even though it kept growing? The only way that might make this happen is if: gravity pulled MORE on those very bottom fibers (since it's closer to the ground) and this would make it look like it was getting thinner, even though all the fibers were technically growing bigger. But the connective tissue membranes should be able to support it enough from gravity to allow it to keep getting thicker, I think.

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
gravity pulling more because thery are closer to the ground? mate, you know what's the proportion of the distance between your lower and uper pecs and the center of the planet? Man we don't live in a black hole, no need to worry about spaghetification.

If you're a troll you're a funny one, i'll get you that.

T

tgw85

gravity pulling more because thery are closer to the ground? mate, you know what's the proportion of the distance between your lower and uper pecs and the center of the planet? Man we don't live in a black hole, no need to worry about spaghetification.

If you're a troll you're a funny one, i'll get you that.
uh... ok, ur right about the proportion thing but still I'm gonna ask....
I'm not a troll, or whatever, I'm 19, and I understand that I'm concerned with the extreme, but that's what affects my "perception". I just don't want to think, or be the only one who thinks, that eventually the lower part would ever stop getting thicker and instead start to look thinner, like droop down to being paper thin, even though all the fibers were still technically getting bigger. I know the fibers don't grow thinner, but would they ever stop appearing to get thicker but instead, even though they're still growing, start to appear thinner and then keep getting thinner?

Basically, all I'm asking is if you excersise your chest, and in particular the lower part. As the fibers grow bigger, shouldn't the bottom always keep appearing to get thicker, at least generally? Like just for example, wasn't Arnold's very bottom chest the most thickest it's ever been, of course when he was his prime, age 27/28 (excluding factors of body fat just the muscle itself)?
That's why I made the pic above.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
If you train your chest, and its growing, there will be no 'thinning' or 'shrinking' of any part of the chest, only the visual illusion of the lower portion being smaller due to the increase in size of the upper portion. I don't see how this question has gone on for 15 posts...

Aeugh

Aeugh

In Arnold's Encyclopedia of Bodybuilding, he mentioned how in his early years he would do tons of flat bench and heavy weighted dips. Once his Olympia career started he noticed his lower chest was too overpowered, so he stopped doing heavy dips and replaced it with incline bench.