• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

How should I do hyperextensions?

A

Archon

I would appreciate some help on how to perform hyperextensions properly. Most people I ask say that the back should be bent and then rolled upp, but after looking up hyperextensions on exrx.net I found this link:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/WtHyperextension.html

As you can see, the person there performs it with a straight back. I personally like the exrx variant the most but I've heard people say you can get injured that way. Anyone have an opinion?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
mhm, my advice is this.

skip the hyperextensions and do deadlifts instead:2:

A

Archon

mhm, my advice is this.

skip the hyperextensions and do deadlifts instead:2:

That's some good advice there, thanks, but I do quite a bit of bike riding so I like to keep the legs fresh :) Now, about those hyperextensions...

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the exercise like you discribed will mostly work your hams. If you do a back extension while immobilize your pelvis than you will work your back. Imo Goodmornings, RDL or deadlifts are better choices

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
hyperextensions are incorrectly named. They shouldn't hyperextend the spine.

They should also be performed so that you have a posterior chain contraction, so neutral spine is the way to go.

A

Archon

hyperextensions are incorrectly named. They shouldn't hyperextend the spine.

They should also be performed so that you have a posterior chain contraction, so neutral spine is the way to go.

Ok, uhm... "neutral spine", is that with a straight back as in the link i posted? :dunnodude:

EDIT: Nevermind, I should've known what it meant :keke:

L

lorri_01

straight back n try n bend knees slightly so takes stress off the hams