• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Peyton Manning wins third MVP

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
NEW YORK (AP) -- Peyton Manning took a different approach to earning a record-tying third Associated Press NFL Most Valuable Player award.

The Indianapolis Colts quarterback got hurt, struggled when he came back, then lost a bunch of games. Hardly vintage Manning.

But when he rediscovered the touch that has made him one of football's dominant players for a decade, Manning and the Colts were virtually unstoppable.

Now Manning can tell Brett Favre to move over and make room for him atop the roster of MVPs.

"I really feel like it's a team award," Manning said Friday. "Just what our team went through this year and the way we responded and bounced back to a little bit of football adversity at the beginning of the season, being 3-4.

"It's been the most rewarding regular season that I've been a part of in my 11 years, and I have to believe a lot of the other players and even coaches might feel the same way."

Manning received 32 votes in balloting by a nationwide panel of 50 sports writers and broadcasters who cover the NFL. He also was the league MVP in 2003, when he shared it with Tennessee quarterback Steve McNair, and in 2004.

Favre, then with Green Bay, took MVP honors in 1995 and '96 before sharing it with Detroit running back Barry Sanders in 1997. The award has been given by The AP since 1961.

Manning finished far ahead of Miami quarterback Chad Pennington and Atlanta running back Michael Turner, each with four votes. Pittsburgh linebacker James Harrison and Minnesota RB Adrian Peterson each got three votes. San Diego QB Philip Rivers (2), Tennessee rookie RB Chris Johnson (1) and Arizona QB Kurt Warner (1) also earned votes.

"I'm honored to receive this award because of the number of other worthy candidates who had some great years," Manning said. "It was just fun for me, truly, to watch them. I'm just glad to be a part of it."

Manning has been part of a most unusual season for the Colts, who normally have the AFC South just about clinched by Thanksgiving. Manning had two operations on his left knee in the preseason, cutting into practice time, blunting his usual precision as a passer and, eventually, leading to that 3-4 start.

From there, with Manning getting sharper by the week, the Colts won nine straight games to secure a wild-card berth and a meeting Saturday night with San Diego.

In that streak, Manning is 209-of-290 for 2,248 yards and 17 touchdowns, with only three interceptions. He extended his NFL record with his ninth 4,000-yard season and finished with 27 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions and a 95.0 passer rating.

"In other years, everything started fast," Colts running back Dominic Rhodes said. "He's still breaking records. But this year, there were a bunch of negative things said in the beginning, and he brought his best when we needed his best. This is probably the best ball I've seen him play."

The folks in Indianapolis might take for granted having Manning behind center, just as Packers and now Jets fans have assumed Favre would be there every week. Favre has started 269 straight regular-season games, the record for quarterbacks. Manning's string is 176 -- every game since he was the No. 1 pick in the 1998 draft.

The Mannings, of course, are the first family of NFL quarterbacking, from father Archie to Peyton to younger brother Eli of the New York Giants.

"To be able to come back and play the way he has, especially the last nine or 10 weeks where they have been winning and getting into the playoffs, I'm very proud of him and the season he has had," said Eli Manning, the MVP of last February's Super Bowl.

Added Peterson, the league's leading rusher: "I know Manning is definitely worthy of the award. He's an outstanding player and I take my hat off to him."

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
Deserved. Not much else to be said. The man runs the offense on his team. Probably the most exciting athlete to watch in sports right now, seeing how every play he calls is a symphony of expertise.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Fan of Peyton. Seems to handle pressure well and "get it done".

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
fuck him!

Adrian Peterson deserved it way more !!! i mean this guy just rushed almost 1800 yrds in his second season !!!

Line

Line

Chaos reigns.
VIP
fuck him!

Adrian Peterson deserved it way more !!! i mean this guy just rushed almost 1800 yrds in his second season !!!
Do you actually watch football? Peterson's good for bursts but nowhere near as valuable a player overall as Peyton. Manning literally runs his offense, the success of which is largely on his shoulders. He's easily the most focused player in the NFL and the best leader to boot. The MVP award isn't about individual feats, it's what you did to make your team as successful as they are. I doubt one arbitrary stat, regardless of how impressive it is, contributes to a team more than the way Manning conducts things. His impact is immeasurable.

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do you actually watch football? Peterson's good for bursts but nowhere near as valuable a player overall as Peyton. Manning literally runs his offense, the success of which is largely on his shoulders. He's easily the most focused player in the NFL and the best leader to boot. The MVP award isn't about individual feats, it's what you did to make your team as successful as they are. I doubt one arbitrary stat, regardless of how impressive it is, contributes to a team more than the way Manning conducts things. His impact is immeasurable.

I couldn't agree more. This was a well deserved award for him. :xyxthumbs:

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well i hate both eli and peyton.. so who cares about him and the damn colts LOL

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

i agree. peterson is a more impressive physical specimen though. but manning is more valuable to a team no doubt.

oh and manning < brady

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i agree. peterson is a more impressive physical specimen though. but manning is more valuable to a team no doubt.

oh and manning < brady

I think Peyton should spend less time being a great player and contributing to the team and work on creating a pleasing physique. That matters far more in sport. :methman:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think Peyton should spend less time being a great player and contributing to the team and work on creating a pleasing physique. That matters far more in sport. :methman:

i don't even know what your going for here. is this the misguided notion you have as to why i am such a fan of adrian peterson? i agreed with line in manning being the deserved winner of the MVP in comparison with peterson. so ya...........no.

and manning < brady

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ No I just thought it was funny that you felt inclined to talk about his physique. There are some great athletes that look more like monkeys, doesn't make them any less of a player.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ No I just thought it was funny that you felt inclined to talk about his physique. There are some great athletes that look more like monkeys, doesn't make them any less of a player.

you're a monkey

:hsughr:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ I'm an ape. Orangutang's are a member of the great ape family.

:D

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

agreed.