• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

mega "crash" post workout

J

jguruz

Hi guys, just wanted your advice on post workout "therapy", if thats the correct word. i currently train just before going to work, i typically have 6-7 egg whites with 2 slices of whole wheat toast. Then its universal shock therapy and off to the gym for a 1 hour weights session. Takes about 30 mins to get back home which is when i take my protein shake which contains 50g protein, 100g carbs, 3g of creatine mono. After this i head to work with a really weak, crashed out sensation, wondering if anybody else has experienced this and if theres anything i can do to avoid it.

I've been training steady 3 years now, currently bulking, weigh 80kg, diet in check at about 250g protein, 500g carbs and about 50-70g of fat. Nil cardio at the moment.

Any advice would be appreciated

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You are in recovery mode after a hard bought of training. Only real suggestion I would make is that maybe you need to take the shake earlier so that you are switching to recovery sooner.

It also depends on how much you like or need work. If this is a career then you probably need to think about not beating yourself into the ground in the gym. If this is just a job then don't worry about it.

X

Xiva

Banned
"50-70g of fat"

- You need more :)

1g per kg weight (Unsaturated fat ofc)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Except he is already running ~3300cals a day at 80kg, so I doubt the 50-70g fat (8-9%).

But it is a good point, +60% carbs is a bit much unless you are an endurance athlete or doing a lot of training. More fats so that you get 20% would be good.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The shock therapy is definitely going to cause a crash. Caffeine hits its maximal effect about an hour after ingestion and about an hour after that is when it leaves. Try to have another meal about an hour after your shake that is high in ALL macros. Training is always going to make you tired because of its drain on your body and CNS but you can do things to make it less of a problem.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok a couple of things come to mind.I think you are getting so tired becasue a lot of things that are going on. When you wake up first thing i would do is get liquids into your body try a 8oz glass of water. I would also choose a liquid meal first thing in the morning in place of a solid meal. Their is less of an energy requirement to digest a liquid meal than their is to gdigest a solid meal.

I would have whey protein 30g a banana 25g carbs and 2 tbsp peanut butter16 g fat and a pinch of salt(seriously) blend that up in a blender and drink it. I would wait 30 mins then take my preworkout supps. then wait 30 more mins and go drive to the gym.

Workout

When u come home go for 50g of whey and 50g of dextrose with another 2 tbsp peanut butter mixed in a blender.

I think your carbohydrates in general are to high if you are just bodybuilding. i would cut them back by 100 g a day. Keep your fat at 80g and the protein at 250g.

My guess is that your a victim of a few things that are making you tired.

The first being you are eating so much food upon waking. Digestion is one of if not the largest energy expendature a human has o perfrom. The second being that when you have a high carbohydrate meal not only does blood sugar spike then drop, high carbohydrate meals cause release of a neurotransmitter called seratonin(sp?) which will make you sleepy as well. Another possibility that comes to mind is how long have you been using stimulants? Caffiene or any stimulant that causes your adrenals to respond if used for a prolonged period of time with no break can make you crash HARD simply because the adrenal glands are not able to keep up. Being a lifter is already requiring more from your adrenals than the normal function. Keep these things in mind. Your caloric needs are based off of your weight, metabolism and workload, keep the calories relative to those things, to much calories of any kind will have a negative effect on performance. Keep work load relative to recovery, which is based on sleep and your nutrition, among other things but those are the two biggest factors.