• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Long term steroid use in bodybuilders can damage the kidneys

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Athletes who take anabolic steroids may gain muscular bulk and strength, but they can also impair kidney function, according to a report given at the 42nd Annual Meeting and Scientific Exposition of the American Society of Nephrology in San Diego, CA. The data suggest that long-term steroid usage has substantial negative consequences on the kidneys that were previously unknown.

Reports of elite sportsmen abusing anabolic steroids are becoming more widespread. Most people understand that taking steroids is bad for your health, but their effects on the kidneys were unknown until today. Leal Herlitz, MD (Columbia University Medical Center) and colleagues have published the first research documenting renal impairment caused by long-term anabolic steroid misuse. The researchers looked at a group of ten bodybuilders who had been using steroids for a long time and had developed protein leaks into their urine as well as substantial losses in kidney function. Nine of the ten bodybuilders tested positive for focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a kind of scarring within the kidneys, according to kidney testing. When the kidneys are overworked, this illness develops. The kidney damage reported in bodybuilders appears to be more severe than that seen in morbidly obese persons.

With the exception of one guy with severe renal illness who suffered end-stage kidney failure and required dialysis after discontinuing steroid usage, the bodybuilders' kidney abnormalities improved after they stopped using steroids. In addition, one of the bodybuilders resumed using steroids and experienced a recurrence of severe renal disease.

The researchers argue that excessive gains in muscle mass force the kidneys to raise their filtration rate, putting these organs under unnecessary strain. Steroids are also likely to have direct harmful effects on the kidneys. "Athletes who take anabolic steroids, as well as the doctors who care for them, must be informed of the potentially catastrophic hazards to the kidney," Dr. Herlitz stated.

Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What kind of steroids did they use? and at what dosage and for how long at a time did they run it?

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
looks like just another one of those mainstream steroid articles, until you dig up the complete details i`d classify it as just a PR article with PR aim rather then anything remotely useful or that we could benefit from,
details would be nice

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Also it would be interesting to know if they used painkillers, weekend drugs and so on.

Painkillers is a big one. Also, did they compete? IF so what other drugs did they take? Was it strictly anabolic steroids or how about some HGH, IGF-1, Insulin, etc?

IS, let us know if you find the whole study. I would be curious to know the answers.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
looks like just another one of those mainstream steroid articles, until you dig up the complete details i`d classify it as just a PR article with PR aim rather then anything remotely useful or that we could benefit from,
details would be nice

Yeah, another mainstream PR from the American Society of Nephrology's annual meeting... why not criticize the author for "not knowing about it unless they tried it" too while you're at it?? Where do you come up with your posts, honestly?

Will try my best to get the rest of the info guys....

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
reading it is misleading.. because it doesnt tell you how much, what these guys did before etc... so why would he omit these?
they could be ALL the difference between these guys having problems and other guys not having problems,

or rather who ever wrote the article may have omited them, if these guys put it up i dont see why they would omit all these details since it would only be of use to medical personal.

and FYI i read a study related to overall HEALTH between 2 sets of healthy adult males, the steroided ones came out healthier, believe it or not, i will look for it and post it ASAP

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
reading it is misleading.. because it doesnt tell you how much, what these guys did before etc... so why would he omit these?
they could be ALL the difference between these guys having problems and other guys not having problems,

or rather who ever wrote the article may have omited them, if these guys put it up i dont see why they would omit all these details since it would only be of use to medical personal.

and FYI i read a study related to overall HEALTH between 2 sets of healthy adult males, the steroided ones came out healthier, believe it or not, i will look for it and post it ASAP

It's a summary report, it's not going to say those things, that is what the presentation is for.

I don't believe you read a study.

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i read a the results of a clinical trial... is that good enough?

well you didnt give links or any info basically, how was i supposed to know its a summary report? i mean does it not bare resemblence to the mainstream steroid article we read which lacks references etc..

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how was i supposed to know its a summary report?

By reading it.

i mean does it not bare resemblence to the mainstream steroid article we read which lacks references etc..

Nope, it reports the results of a study, mentions the conference, and has a brief quote on the author summarizing the report.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Looking at the extremes a bber goes to even a guy who is not pro, high calories, high protein, i am not surprised at all that their is some sort of damage done. I would not be surprised to see a natural bodybuilder who eat excessive amounts of protein year in and year out have some sort of damaging effects on the kidneys.

Nice post IS i always enjoy reading these

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Looking at the extremes a bber goes to even a guy who is not pro, high calories, high protein, i am not surprised at all that their is some sort of damage done. I would not be surprised to see a natural bodybuilder who eat excessive amounts of protein year in and year out have some sort of damaging effects on the kidneys.

Nice post IS i always enjoy reading these
Exactly. Bodybuilding isn't exactly a healthy lifestyle.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Of course the bodybuilding lifestyle at the professional level is unhealthy. I think this study is a great start. Obviously, there are so many other extreme factors that bodybuilders take to really pin point steroid use on this one but I believe it could lead to something. Also, the fact that there were only 10 subjects doesnt lead to any striking facts but it definitely could. I am kind of surprised this study got approved by the IRB.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Notice how he specifically pointed out "long term use". Obviously a difference from one short cycle that was not abused.

You will not find any real convincing studies in regards to steroid use. It is very unethical according to the IRB. I saw one such study of a 6 week cycle of test e at 500mg/week where no apparent health ailments were seen. Much different than long term abuse.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Got a reply from the author:

Unfortunately I'm not going to have most of the information you are
interested. In doing the research we were often unable to get particular
details about the cycle lengths, dosages etc. We may have this on one or
two of our subjects, but for the most part the extent of the detail we
could get was the use of a variety of anabolic steroids for many years
(ranging from 8 to 20 yrs). I don't have details on the competition
history of the body builders -- one I know is one a fairly successful
professional who has recently competed in the "Arnolds" etc. One is a
professional "strong man" competitor - pulling trucks and the like. The
others may have had aspirations at making it big, but as far as I could
tell were not successful at the professional level.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
long term use/abuse of steroids will lead to

heart disease(led from bad cholesterol), possibly lead to liver disease ( I wouldnt be concerned if you dont take diuretics and or heavy doses of orals, competitors are mainly the ones that should worry about this) kidney failure is also a concern for anyone who does long cycles with high doses.. a normal cycle of 12 to 16 weeks with time off will not affect any of these things mentioned..

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Athletes who use anabolic steroids may gain muscle mass and strength, but they can also destroy their kidney function, according to a paper being presented at the American Society of Nephrology's 42nd Annual Meeting and Scientific Exposition in San Diego, CA. The findings indicate that the habitual use of steroids has serious harmful effects on the kidneys that were not previously recognized.

Reports of professional athletes who abuse anabolic steroids are increasingly common. Most people know that using steroids is not good for your health, but until now, their effects on the kidneys have not been known. Leal Herlitz, MD (Columbia University Medical Center) and her colleagues recently conducted the first study describing injury to the kidneys following long-term abuse of anabolic steroids. The investigators studied a group of 10 bodybuilders who used steroids for many years and developed protein leakage into the urine and severe reductions in kidney function. Kidney tests revealed that nine of the ten bodybuilders developed a condition called focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a type of scarring within the kidneys. This disease typically occurs when the kidneys are overworked. The kidney damage in the bodybuilders has similarities to that seen in morbidly obese patients, but appears to be even more severe.

When the bodybuilders discontinued steroid use their kidney abnormalities improved, with the exception of one individual with advanced kidney disease who developed end-stage kidney failure and required dialysis. Also, one of the bodybuilders started taking steroids again and suffered a relapse of severe kidney dysfunction.

The researchers propose that extreme increases in muscle mass require the kidneys to increase their filtration rate, placing harmful levels of stress on these organs. It's also likely that steroids have direct toxic effects on the kidneys. "Athletes who use anabolic steroids and the doctors caring for them need to be aware of the potentially serious risks to the kidney," said Dr. Herlitz.

in my opinion, the only drug one would need to worry about if they are concerned with this happening to you is TREN.. i have recently decided that I will not be taking trenbolone unless iam competing and i will not stay on longer then 6 weeks.. i got blood work done while i was on tren 100mg EOD and my liver values, my kidney functions were all off, it actually burned when i pissed, i thought it was an std but it wasnt.. it was all the shit hurting the kidneys while on tren.. my piss was almost brown in color.. either way.. just listen to your body.. some abuse ibuprofen and get kidney damage, not to mention the popular drug accutane for acne.. that shit is worse then anything for your vital organs.. i would like more info on this study, when was is done.. what were they on, how long etc.

for me personally.. i only stick with test and deca from now on.. i feel great on it, never have issues and my test results are always very good..

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
in my opinion, the only drug one would need to worry about if they are concerned with this happening to you is TREN.. i have recently decided that I will not be taking trenbolone unless iam competing and i will not stay on longer then 6 weeks.. i got blood work done while i was on tren 100mg EOD and my liver values, my kidney functions were all off, it actually burned when i pissed, i thought it was an std but it wasnt.. it was all the shit hurting the kidneys while on tren.. my piss was almost brown in color.. either way.. just listen to your body.. some abuse ibuprofen and get kidney damage, not to mention the popular drug accutane for acne.. that shit is worse then anything for your vital organs.. i would like more info on this study, when was is done.. what were they on, how long etc.

for me personally.. i only stick with test and deca from now on.. i feel great on it, never have issues and my test results are always very good..

Sorry, I should have posted my question to her first. I asked her the types of questions people already mentioned (which steroids, what doses, what cycle lengths, did they compete and use diuretics, etc), and you can see her reply to that.

Sure, other drugs like ibuprofen can lead to harmful problems in the body, so what? You can't "just listen to your body" with things like this. People with cancer feel fine for a while, often even to the point where they discover the lump, that doesn't mean that there isn't something wrong.

There will never be a precise cohort study in humans which is able to look at the precise dosages/cycles etc. All you can go by is examining the health outcomes in people such as these, and essentially theorizing from the level of competition they are at approximately what they used.

a 10 week cycle of anything might do absolutely nothing harmful, multiple 10 week cycles over 20 years certainly could.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
im willing to take the risk.. im never coming off a HRT dose of test as long as i live.