• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Simplified my workout. Any tips?

madakira

madakira

So I simplified my routine because I was tired of walking around the gym waiting for equipment and stuff. I do about 2-3 exercises per body part. Sometimes 5 sets for 5-8 reps.
Chest -incline barbell 5x5 225,225,275,225 225
flat barbell 5x5 225, 225, 275, 315, 315
incline dumbell 5x5 100, 110, 120, 110, 100
shoulders -military dumbell 5x5/front raises 75, 85, 95, 95, 85
military barbell 5x5/lateral raises 185, 185, 185, 185, 185
back -weighted chins 5x8 45 lbs plate
bent over barbell t bar row 5x5 4 plates
biceps -preacher curl 5x8 100-110
one arm preacher 5x8 40-55
triceps -skull crushers 5x8 110, 110, 125, 125, 110
-one arm overhead 5x8 45, 45, 50, 50, 50
legs -squats 10x8 225, 225, 315, 315, 315, 225, 225, 225, 225, 225
calf raises 5x10 differs from machine to machine. usually 4-6 plates on the seated

I know my squat kind of sucks, but i am just going to concentrate on those and probably add some SLDL next workout.
Any criticism is greatly appreciated.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Is that all in one session?

madakira

madakira

I do chest on monday just like the rest of the planet, then back on tuesday, shoulders on wednesday, bi's and tri's on thursday and legs on friday. It is usually in that order and i might take a day of rest inbetween workouts. I am 5'9 180lbs.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So you do more work for chest or shoulders than you do for the entirity of your lower body?

The first point you make could actually be solved by changing the days you train things. Monday doesn't have to be chest day, in fact if your squats suck then Monday should be squat day.

Second point is that body part splits (suck) need to be fostered around a heavy compound exercise, a supporting exercise, an accessory exercise and possibly a finisher. So you are looking at a bare minimum of 3 exercises with the primary one being low reps plenty of sets.

An example for chest would be BB bench 8 sets of 3, incline DBs 3 sets of 8, dips/pushups for a couple of sets of as many as you can, and maybe finish with some cable flys, pushups or the like.

When you start hitting several things per day, a couple of times per week (i.e. upper/lower, push/pull, etc), then you can back off on the number of exercises per muscle as the volume comes through the week instead of on one day.

Next point I'll make is that you need to balance things better. Hamstrings, and legs in general are very important. Back probably needs more work than the rest of the upper body combined. Arms really only need a minor amount of work.

madakira

madakira

So you do more work for chest or shoulders than you do for the entirity of your lower body?

The first point you make could actually be solved by changing the days you train things. Monday doesn't have to be chest day, in fact if your squats suck then Monday should be squat day.

I do squats on friday because I can rest them for two days before I have to go to work again.

Second point is that body part splits (suck) need to be fostered around a heavy compound exercise, a supporting exercise, an accessory exercise and possibly a finisher. So you are looking at a bare minimum of 3 exercises with the primary one being low reps plenty of sets.
I will add a finisher. My compound will of course be bench.

An example for chest would be BB bench 8 sets of 3, incline DBs 3 sets of 8, dips/pushups for a couple of sets of as many as you can, and maybe finish with some cable flys, pushups or the like.

So 8 sets of 3 is better for building strength than 5 sets of 5? I didn't think I was benching heavy enough to just do 3 reps. I thought that was for heavier stuff like 400 lb bench. I will definitely take your advice on this. I also usually finish my chest workout with sets of dips. I do 2 45's, then 3, then 2, then i just rep out 30 for 2 sets. So would dips be a good accessory? And flys a finisher?

When you start hitting several things per day, a couple of times per week (i.e. upper/lower, push/pull, etc), then you can back off on the number of exercises per muscle as the volume comes through the week instead of on one day.

I actually just stepped away from this a week ago and was looking for a change

Next point I'll make is that you need to balance things better. Hamstrings, and legs in general are very important. Back probably needs more work than the rest of the upper body combined. Arms really only need a minor amount of work.

My back is pretty big already. Do you think I should lower the amount of work I am putting my arms through? I want to gain some size in them. right now they are a little over 17 1/4. Am I doing the right exercises for mass for my arms? I will add some leg press and SLDL or hamstring curls to my leg workout

I am mainly trying to add mass in my shoulders and arms, and upper chest. I do appreciate any criticism, as it is always constructive.:borat:

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You're better off hitting squats on Monday because you've had the weekend for your body to recover.

I also agree that you should be putting more effort into your back than chest and shoulders combined, no matter how big your back is already.

If you're concerned about strength then wh not dump the bodypart split and do upper/lower, push/pull/legs or even full body?

madakira

madakira

You're better off hitting squats on Monday because you've had the weekend for your body to recover.

I also agree that you should be putting more effort into your back than chest and shoulders combined, no matter how big your back is already.

If you're concerned about strength then wh not dump the bodypart split and do upper/lower, push/pull/legs or even full body?

Well, I do weighted chin ups everyday as a warm up. Usually 4 sets with a 45lbs plate. I do the same thing with dips everyday with 3 45lbs plats for four sets, but I do it at the end of my workout. I can deadlift 445 currently and I only try once every month or so. I will move my leg workout to Monday and see how it feels. I think I will like it.