Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform
Page 37 of 131 FirstFirst ... 273334353637383940414787 ... LastLast
Results 649 to 666 of 2343
  1. #649
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    Skeptic: I have a philosophy; if I can't hold it in my hands I can't really lift it. Your hands can never really get strong unless you throw away the straps and get the hands up to speed. Yes it may limit your max strength on deadlifts, but that should be all. I see people doing chinups and rows with straps and that is just lame in my book.

    And it's good not to have aids....:carduindisguise

    Pickle: I've got a vid or two on my home computer that I'll upload at some stage. One is of me benching the other of me snatching. I would like to take some more but I am training in the evening when the lighting is just no good outside. Plus I wonder how well uploading vids to Youtube is perceived by my boss....

    Braaq: I have to admit that I'm looking forward to the Olympics to see the weightlifters. Nothing like seeing a little chinese girl clean and jerk my max deadlift. The guys that are weighing the same as me have front squats that make my deadlift look lame and double my C&J. So yes while we may both be considered strong for our weight we really aren't. And I think it is important for people to realise that lest people sell their own abilities short.


     



    •   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

      MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Muscle Building Community

        

        
        Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors




  2. #650
    Yeah mate thats what i was doing for ages... but my grip strength just takes so long to increase haha. Deads are the only thing i use straps for... and even then its only for the heavier working sets.


    She really looks like someone set her face on fire and put it out with a bike chain.


  3. #651
    I'm with ya on the no straps side. Maybe that's because I've always had good grip strength- my grip hasn't failed me yet.

    Glad to see you around the board more.


    Tim's Journeyman Log

    Quote Originally Posted by drunk tweak
    REFELECTION Z DVEVICE!!!

    i nedds ed one!! ahadsfa


  4. #652
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    Thanks Arcane; good to be back.

    The question becomes though: have you always had a strong grip or did your grip just develop well because you never used straps?

    Skeptic I know that grip can take awhile, but the thing is the best grip strengthener is the really heavy work. Deads, farmers walks, anything with a thick bar, grippers are all good and the straps used on any of them just limit you in the long run. And lets face it, we want big deadlift numbers to be strong, not so that when we actually have to be strong we have to run and get our straps and gloves and belt and maybe a blanky.


     


  5. #653
    LIFT OR DIE El Freako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
    Age
    35
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    8,264
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    Thanks Arcane; good to be back.

    The question becomes though: have you always had a strong grip or did your grip just develop well because you never used straps?

    Skeptic I know that grip can take awhile, but the thing is the best grip strengthener is the really heavy work. Deads, farmers walks, anything with a thick bar, grippers are all good and the straps used on any of them just limit you in the long run. And lets face it, we want big deadlift numbers to be strong, not so that when we actually have to be strong we have to run and get our straps and gloves and belt and maybe a blanky.
    In total agreement with that, grip strength only comes with gripping. I think straps have their place in deads when your back can keep on going but your grip has gone to jelly but these lifts really shouldn't be counted as your 'max lifts'. Having said that, I won't do heavy deads without my belt, but the right side of my back is fucked and it can get really painful without a belt.


    My log - read it f*ckers!

    My lifting vids

    There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.
    -Mark Rippetoe


  6. #654
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    El Freako: good that we're on the same page as well! I'll post up an article in the articles section soon on using belts. It is a review done by Dr Stuart McGill who is the preeminent expert in the field of back research and blasts a few myths.

    I was meant to train last night. My flu is still in the background giving me niggles and it was raining and dark when I went to do battle with the weights. I have trained in the rain before and it really isn't worth it; the ground gets too slippery and your hands get soft and tear from the moisture.

    Next week I'm at a conference (organising and presenting some research) so I don't know that I'll get the free time I need to actually train. There is a gym next to the conference location and I have trained there before (they don't like weightlifting because they have no bumper plates:crymeariver but I'll have to see how it all goes. Worst case I'll be 100% when I get back and ready to lift again.


     


  7. #655
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post

    The question becomes though: have you always had a strong grip or did your grip just develop well because you never used straps?
    I think it's a bit of both. My dad's always had very strong hands, so I assume a bit comes from there. However, I've never used straps or gloves and I guess my hands have always been able to progress at a rate fast enough to keep up with my lifts.

    I used to arm wrestle a lot with friends throughout middle school and up until a few years ago, so maybe that helped out too. :wutyousay:


    Tim's Journeyman Log

    Quote Originally Posted by drunk tweak
    REFELECTION Z DVEVICE!!!

    i nedds ed one!! ahadsfa


  8. #656
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane1129 View Post
    I'm with ya on the no straps side. Maybe that's because I've always had good grip strength- my grip hasn't failed me yet.

    Glad to see you around the board more.
    i dont understand why u would sacrifice back development only for ur own ego, i mean, thats what it is, straps is a great tool to make sure ur forearms dont die out before ur back, just my two cents also alot of guys have short fingers(myself included) im having a hard time getting a good grip around the bar, so for me straps are very useful


    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate;
    I am the captain of my soul.


  9. #657
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    Sorry Bulkboy, but let me get this straight.

    You want to be weaker in the very part of the body that makes possible strength in the rest of the body (primarily upper body)? If you read about proprioception and loading in the science literature you would see that we receive feedback from our feet and hands when lifting to balance and recruit muscles.

    I keep hearing this argument that "My hands give out before my back". So get stronger hands!!! Don't use a crutch just because you can't be bothered spending the time and effort improving your grip. You end up with a back that has no useful strength. Now this may not matter so much in BBing but this is also what is wrong with BBing. There used to be a direct link between BBing, weightlifting and powerlifting as the athletes usually trained in all the disciplines. Big, strong, athletes, that looked good.

    By the way, the last time I did rack deadlifts, it sure as hell wasn't my grip that was limiting me. So if I can build up my grip strength, why can't anyone else?


     


  10. #658
    I haven't read through your log but what are your goals as far as your training goes and have you set any goals to accomplish with in the year?




    Get Ripped, Get Laid.


  11. #659
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkboy View Post
    i dont understand why u would sacrifice back development only for ur own ego, i mean, thats what it is, straps is a great tool to make sure ur forearms dont die out before ur back, just my two cents also alot of guys have short fingers(myself included) im having a hard time getting a good grip around the bar, so for me straps are very useful
    What makes you think I'm sacrificing back development or that I have an ego? I have long fingers and a strong grip- I haven't had any use for straps. My current grip strength is good enough for any weight that I'd be able to deadlift (or w/e exercise) as of now.


    Tim's Journeyman Log

    Quote Originally Posted by drunk tweak
    REFELECTION Z DVEVICE!!!

    i nedds ed one!! ahadsfa


  12. #660
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    Sorry Bulkboy, but let me get this straight.

    You want to be weaker in the very part of the body that makes possible strength in the rest of the body (primarily upper body)? If you read about proprioception and loading in the science literature you would see that we receive feedback from our feet and hands when lifting to balance and recruit muscles.

    I keep hearing this argument that "My hands give out before my back". So get stronger hands!!! Don't use a crutch just because you can't be bothered spending the time and effort improving your grip. You end up with a back that has no useful strength. Now this may not matter so much in BBing but this is also what is wrong with BBing. There used to be a direct link between BBing, weightlifting and powerlifting as the athletes usually trained in all the disciplines. Big, strong, athletes, that looked good.



    By the way, the last time I did rack deadlifts, it sure as hell wasn't my grip that was limiting me. So if I can build up my grip strength, why can't anyone else?
    its not about me not bothering about grip. i actually do alittle grip training even, i have some pretty hard "grippers" so i try to make it better. but i have pretty short hands and even though my grip is pretty strong, i tend to get problems when i go very heavy on deads. i do the warmup sets and as much as i can without the straps, but when i get past 140-150 kg it becomes a real problem for me, and i dont want to sacrifice back development because of that its also worth noting that i dont use a locking grip on deads, i could lift more without straps had i used that, but i choose not to use such a grip because of personal preference. dont worry tim, i know the importance of strong forearms and grip, so i dont neglect it. but how tall are u? cuz long people tend to have bigger hands, thus making the grip thing less of an issue, for example my training partner is 190 cm tall and for him its easy to get his hands around the bar and hold it tight, im on the other hand is 174 cm and its harder for me naturally. i just view straps as a valuable tool for me, and also i train for bodybuilding and physical development exclusively


    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate;
    I am the captain of my soul.


  13. #661
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcane1129 View Post
    What makes you think I'm sacrificing back development or that I have an ego? I have long fingers and a strong grip- I haven't had any use for straps. My current grip strength is good enough for any weight that I'd be able to deadlift (or w/e exercise) as of now.
    ok the ego thing was alittle over the line, i guess its much a personal preference, good for you if u have long fingers and its easy wish i had longer fingers:crymeariver:


    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate;
    I am the captain of my soul.


  14. #662
    Mecca V.I.P. tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Age
    39
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,270
    Bulkboy: I'm 182cm, like in my stats sheet. I know what you are saying about stubby hands, but lets face it, if your grip is in some way limiting your training (i.e. you can't grip as much as your deadlift) then you have a weak point. So ignoring a weak point, and it is ignoring since it still limits you, will only lead to problems in the long run.

    I know I come at this topic from a different perspective, as I am after strength and health first and foremost. I am not about getting huge, or swole, or about big numbers, or ripped to the bone. I'm the guy that will insist upon squatting ATG without a belt even though I could add 50kg to the bar and just rep out at parallel. As a result I'm likely to still be training when I'm 80, not just in my teens and early 20's.

    JB: I've got a few goals and general aims. Over the past year I've added about 5kg and really thickened up my upper body. I like being 88kg but I really think I need to be a little leaner and more like 85-86kg. I've also added some decent balanced strength, to the point where I can do "new" exercises and use comparitive weights (for example recently used DB incline bench at a commercial gym, after not having used DB's in a year and was able to lift as much as I could use on a BB).

    My weakpoints are my hamstrings and calves. My hammys are weak due to my knee injury and the subsequent graft harvest and difficulties rehabbing. Now 3yrs after my knee opperation my knee is feeling good. My hammies I have been training first on leg day and have seen some good results with a mixed strategy. My calves I'm just training instead of neglecting. I also don't have the best delts and have had a recurring shoulder problem. I'll continue to work on this, but my lateral delt development is likely to remain limited.

    Stength wise I want to be doing the following:
    Front Squat 1.5xBW for reps
    Back Squat 2.0xBW for reps (both ATG no belt)
    Deadlift 2.5xBW for reps
    Bench 1.5xBW for reps
    C&J 1.5xBW
    Snatch 100kg
    Chinup/pullup/Dip BW+50% for reps

    Long term I want to be healthy and able to keep training. I'd like to be doing this when I'm 80. The routine and the like has really just got to fit around my life and work. I was going to compete in a weightlifting comp at some stage, but I'm going to have to be able to approach things differently (which requires changes to my work schedule). I would also like to get on stage in fake tan, oil and a thong; should be able to get some sailor money tucked into it..... No seriously I would like to have a shot at a BBing comp, but I'm in between weight categories and at 182cm I'd really need to compete at ~90kg. Problem is that I'd need to bulk up and I think I'm a bit heavy at the moment. Unless of course I just took it as a challenge and not something I was trying to win.......


     


  15. #663
    interesting goals and approach tim always fun to see someone with a different mindset than myself, keep posting stuff

    anyways, about going ATG instead of paralell on squats and this leading to longevity. ive heard the exact opposite, that going below paralell fucks up ur lower back and knees. care to explain why you think going to ATG is beneficial?


    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

    It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate;
    I am the captain of my soul.


  16. #664
    Quote Originally Posted by Bulkboy View Post
    interesting goals and approach tim always fun to see someone with a different mindset than myself, keep posting stuff

    anyways, about going ATG instead of paralell on squats and this leading to longevity. ive heard the exact opposite, that going below paralell fucks up ur lower back and knees. care to explain why you think going to ATG is beneficial?
    I saw an article on T-Nation.com about going ATG Vs. Parallel and it was a bit more stress on the knees when going ATG but when you went parallel the stress on your hips was increased almost 1000%.


    Get Ripped, Get Laid.


  17. #665
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    JB: I've got a few goals and general aims. Over the past year I've added about 5kg and really thickened up my upper body. I like being 88kg but I really think I need to be a little leaner and more like 85-86kg. I've also added some decent balanced strength, to the point where I can do "new" exercises and use comparitive weights (for example recently used DB incline bench at a commercial gym, after not having used DB's in a year and was able to lift as much as I could use on a BB).

    My weakpoints are my hamstrings and calves. My hammys are weak due to my knee injury and the subsequent graft harvest and difficulties rehabbing. Now 3yrs after my knee opperation my knee is feeling good. My hammies I have been training first on leg day and have seen some good results with a mixed strategy. My calves I'm just training instead of neglecting. I also don't have the best delts and have had a recurring shoulder problem. I'll continue to work on this, but my lateral delt development is likely to remain limited.

    Stength wise I want to be doing the following:
    Front Squat 1.5xBW for reps
    Back Squat 2.0xBW for reps (both ATG no belt)
    Deadlift 2.5xBW for reps
    Bench 1.5xBW for reps
    C&J 1.5xBW
    Snatch 100kg
    Chinup/pullup/Dip BW+50% for reps

    Long term I want to be healthy and able to keep training. I'd like to be doing this when I'm 80. The routine and the like has really just got to fit around my life and work. I was going to compete in a weightlifting comp at some stage, but I'm going to have to be able to approach things differently (which requires changes to my work schedule). I would also like to get on stage in fake tan, oil and a thong; should be able to get some sailor money tucked into it..... No seriously I would like to have a shot at a BBing comp, but I'm in between weight categories and at 182cm I'd really need to compete at ~90kg. Problem is that I'd need to bulk up and I think I'm a bit heavy at the moment. Unless of course I just took it as a challenge and not something I was trying to win.......
    Sounds like some good goals and aims, dude. So what do you want to do the most, weightlifting or BB? You could do both of course.
    Just feeling of standing on stage is awesome and you really get hooked and forget ALL about how much dieting sucks and that cardio can go to hell.


    Get Ripped, Get Laid.


  18. #666
    Mecca V.I.P. Hypocrisy86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas, United States
    Age
    30
    Height
     
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    15,733
    Awesome goals Tim. i assure you can get there !!!






    • MuscleMecca Sponsors

      MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

        

        
         We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY






 

 

collapse Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By agreeing to the above you are also agreeing to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Statement.