• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

chest: db's vs bb? poll

dumbells or barbells

• barbell- i can go much heavier and i prefer it all the time or most of the time

Votes: 38 46.9%
  • dumbells for sure.. i get a way better chest contraction and squeeze

Votes: 43 53.1%

• Total voters
SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ive noticed that my chest isnt really getting good contractions lately.. i have been doing mosly bb.. but now im thinkin to switch up to db's.. what do you like best? what affects your chest workout more? db's or bb's include a comment after you vote..

CJU

CJU

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
muscle recruitment is not just how much weight you put on the bar, it's range of motion. you have a better ROM with dumbells so dumbells imo are superior for a chest workout.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
CJU said:
muscle recruitment is not just how much weight you put on the bar, it's range of motion. you have a better ROM with dumbells so dumbells imo are superior for a chest workout.

yes thats what i was thinking.. i think im gonna hit dbs for the next 2 or 3 chest workouts and see how that works out.. cause im not getting a good chest workout with bb

Palmetto

Palmetto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If I hit a plateu w/ my bb training...I switch. With upper chest, incline bb press is a no-brainer.

FOOTBALL FAN

FOOTBALL FAN

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
now I have to explain myself seeing as im the only one who voted barbell, at the moment im constantly doing barbell bench presses because of the program im doing plus I want to add weight onto my barbell bench yes I admit it, its an ego thing lol

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
FOOTBALL FAN said:
now I have to explain myself seeing as im the only one who voted barbell, at the moment im constantly doing barbell bench presses because of the program im doing plus I want to add weight onto my barbell bench yes I admit it, its an ego thing lol

ya thats totally fine.. but do you find the range of motion and muscle contraction as good with bb vs db?

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Db's allow for a much greater squeeze of the pecs, no comparison really if you are talking simply chest contraction.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Minchinator said:
Db's allow for a much greater squeeze of the pecs, no comparison really if you are talking simply chest contraction.

then whats the advantage of bb presses if any?

Minchinator

Minchinator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
SerbMarko said:
then whats the advantage of bb presses if any?
You can use more weight so for power they are probably better, for bodybuilding, really none in my opinion.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wolf said:
Why not use both?

well that would be the ultimate goal.. but if you could only do one, which would you use?

Lanois

Lanois

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
variation is the keyword here I believe

Maxmonzter

Maxmonzter

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i like db´s better couse i get more range of motion and better contraction but i do use both in my chest workout

Paulie

Paulie

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I switch between the two every workout, but I like DB's more.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I think you should use either DB's or BB's depending on your specific situation. If you have symmetry issues then use DB's moreso than BB. If you need to add mass then you should use BB moreso than DB's. If you really want to feel the contraction, which does not necassarily define a good workout, then just go with slower reps.

S

SalGT

I think you should always have some variety in your workouts. The old flat barbell press and the incline barbell incline press on the same day is old and not ideal I think. I like to use a barbell exercise and a dumbell exercise for my chest routines, so I can benefit from both.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I prefer DB's but the BB is my staple. This is both because the BB can be used with greater load, but also because I don't have access to heavy DB's easily.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i like to alternate with both, i love doing both, but i think i like bb better. you can put on more weight, and for overall strength and size its better.
you get a better feel with db but you can always just do over exercizes for that too, even after bb.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i use both

3 month BB and 3 Month DB..

miamiracing

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
I use both depending on how I feel. It's not a real science for me.

However, I do BB more often now because that's what Line prefered over the last semester and I've seen my chest take off. I think part of it might be that it's easier to manipulate a BB; you only have to get a lift off to get set on a heavy BB lift, and a spot is much easier with a BB, allowing you to go heavier and past failure better. Heavy lifting + going to failure = growth, from what they tell me.

That said, I like going heavy on DBs on occassion, too, whereas Line hates it. One of my best chest days was when my working sets with DBs only had 2-4 reps.