• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

different body types - ectomorph, mesomorph, endomorph, but what are they?

kickazz23

kickazz23

Did you ever notice that some people can eat whatever they want and rarely ever become fat? Did you ever notice how some people gain fat a lot easier and a lot quicker than other people? Did you ever notice the same about gaining muscle? It's not your imagination. The reason for this is genetics. You see, there are 3 different body types... ectomorph, mesomorph and endomorph. Learning about all three and knowing which of these different body types you are will help you understand why certain aspects of diet and workout are harder and slower (or easier and quicker) for you than they are for other people.

The main differences between the three different body types are metabolism speed and bone structure. Let's look at them one at a time...

Ectomorph - the naturally skinny body type of the three different body types. Unlike the mesomorph and the endomorph, the ectomorph is the person that has probably been very skinny their entire life. It's not because of a great diet or workout, it's because they are born with a super fast metabolism. This gives them the "ability" to eat pretty much whatever they want, pretty much whenever they want, and pretty much never get fat and never gain weight.

I know, a lot non-ectomorphs are probably pretty angry to hear that such GREAT genetics actually exist.

But, for those of you with one of the other different body types that might be a little jealous of the ectomorph right now, you should probably know that these genetics aren't quite as great as they sound.

The same quick metabolism and genetics that keeps the ectomorph naturally skinny and lean are the same quick metabolism and genetics that makes it extremely hard for an ectomorph to gain weight, and more importantly, gain muscle. I told you mesomorphs and endomorphs, it's not quite as great as it sounds. And trust me... I know this first hand... I am an ectomorph.

While I am pretty happy that I was naturally skinny all my life and never had to worry or care about my weight or my diet (like a mesomorph or endomorph may have), the second I decided to step foot into a gym to begin to workout with the goal of gaining muscle, my genetics finally caught up with me. I noticed right away how much harder it was for my body type than it was for either of the other different body types.

I have to eat insane amounts of food to gain weight. When I say insane, I mean it. And, not only that, but to maintain any weight and muscle I have gained and continue to gain, I have to constantly and consistently eat like this. As an ectomorph, my metabolism is literally so fast that if I miss a meal here and there, I will lose weight. This works out fantastic for losing fat, but for gaining and maintaining muscle and weight, it takes quite a bit of dedication and effort.

Endomorph - the naturally fat body type. If the three different body types were in some kind of diet and workout High School together, the endomorph would be voted "Most Likely To Kill An Ectomorph." These are the people who could eat half as much as what an ectomorph or mesomorph eats and still gain weight. The endomorph is naturally "big boned" and has what some people might describe as a body that is roundly shaped.

The endomorph has the slowest metabolism of the three different body types and can therefore gain weight the quickest and easiest. This is great for gaining muscle and strength, but terrible for losing and keeping off fat. It's basically the complete opposite of the ectomorph.

Mesomorph - the luckiest body type of the three different body types. The prototypical athlete, fitness model and bodybuilder. Where the ectomorph and the endomorph both have a positive and negative side, the mesomorph has pretty much the best of both worlds. They gain muscle almost as well as an endomorph, yet can lose fat almost as well as an ectomorph.

The moral of this article? Endomorphs should not be mad or jealous of ectomorphs, and ectomorphs should not be mad or jealous of endomorphs. Instead we should all be super pissed off at those damn mesomorphs! Ok ok, I'm kidding. The truth is, despite the fact that there are 3 different body types, you CAN make each body type do what you want it to do. You just need to tailor your diet and workout accordingly. The endomorph can lose weight. The ectomorph can gain weight and muscle. The mesomorph can do all of the above as well. Don't be mad at your genetics. Don't use them as an excuse. If you are naturally inclined to be fat, it's your fault if you actually become and stay fat. If you are naturally inclined to be very skinny and have very little muscle, it's your fault for actually becoming and staying that way.

You can't change your genetics. It's just not possible. However, you can change your weight. You can change your body fat percentage. You can change how much muscle you have. You can change how much fat you have. The only reason your body isn't what you want it to be is because of you and you alone. The different body types are just a natural starting point for what your body is. But, whether you are an ectomorph, mesomorph or endomorph, it is you, through hard work and dedication, proper diet and workout, that decides what your body will become.

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I blame my mother and father for being a ecto ;)

Glex

Glex

Diet cat says no spoon 4u
VIP
:49: I'm an endomorph :tear:

R

RY.

Banned
endo/meso

can gain muscle mass very quickly

knight_rider

knight_rider

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i have thin joints, have full muscle bellies, was really skinny until puperty, i think im an endo-meso, but i eat a fucking lot and avoid cardio like it was AIDS, i think i have a bit of all three in me, my mothers side are skinny and good a spriniting, my dads side is German juggernauts...........im somewhere in the middle.

i thinkpeople need to not pay too much attention to this sort of thinking, in general people need to eat more, train a bit less, and shut up and sqaut.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Mesomorph. Can gain the muscle fast but if go to a strict diet for about 3 weeks the arms, shoulders and chest become ripped. But my abs dont come out until im down to about 9 % and thats only them showing a little bit.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I'm an ecto/meso
definetly has its downsides and its benefits as well

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ Why are you bumping old threads?

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I just found it haha

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
skid9832004

skid9832004

im ecto plus i play soccer so its so hard to gain weight

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
True that Skid, I know people that do track and they're ecto's, so they really can't build muscle at all. They try to build muscle during the off season but once Track starts up again, they lose it all.

skid9832004

skid9832004

True that Skid, I know people that do track and they're ecto's, so they really can't build muscle at all. They try to build muscle during the off season but once Track starts up again, they lose it all.

well i really dont lose muscle once i put it on its just hard to put on mass in general its just a slower process

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I'm a wrestler I had to control my weight from last june until the end of february and now I can finally start putting on size again and not just gaining muscle and losing body fat at the same weight...and best of all no more cutting weight