Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform

Poll: Are You Interested In Line Including Write Ups For Each Film?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    I witnessed the Lynch experience for the first time a week ago; Mulholland Dr. I was hooked the whole time. I heard Lynch has quite a few must sees, so I threw his name on my "must see" list.
    Outside of Eraserhead there are still a few more of his films on my list here, one coming up quite soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by 20inchgunstucson View Post
    fair enough. but what are your thoughts on the movie line?
    Braaq was right, I just meant it was far from the greatest war film of all time.

As for my thoughts you'll have to forgive me if I'm purposely vague because I don't want to keep giving away what is and isn't going to be on the list. It was quite an epic directional feat on the part of Spielberg and the inspired attention to detail astounds me at times. While it is certainly a moving picture he did misfire on a few occasions and took conventional Hollywoodesque routes instead of sticking to naturalism induced reactional motifs. The movie is very decidedly about the weight of life but it wades a bit too shallowly at times within a more inspired, philosophical realm. It's a film with heart and meant to evoke a specific response which it does accomplish but Spielberg, to me, has always been a greater storyteller and technician than one to really offer any existential thought.

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Quote Originally Posted by Line View Post
    Outside of Eraserhead there are still a few more of his films on my list here, one coming up quite soon.

Braaq was right, I just meant it was far from the greatest war film of all time.

As for my thoughts you'll have to forgive me if I'm purposely vague because I don't want to keep giving away what is and isn't going to be on the list. It was quite an epic directional feat on the part of Spielberg and the inspired attention to detail astounds me at times. While it is certainly a moving picture he did misfire on a few occasions and took conventional Hollywoodesque routes instead of sticking to naturalism induced reactional motifs. The movie is very decidedly about the weight of life but it wades a bit too shallowly at times within a more inspired, philosophical realm. It's a film with heart and meant to evoke a specific response which it does accomplish but Spielberg, to me, has always been a greater storyteller and technician than one to really offer any existential thought.

interesting and i see where your coming from. thanks for your thoughts

Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Wiene, 1920

Years ahead of it's time in terms of narrative and insight, Cabinet is often heralded as having the first great twist ending ever put to cinema and one wouldn't be incorrect to call it one of the best finales, period. Instances in film such as this, where the director is capable of dealing so competently in perspective, are such savored treats for the cinephile as its ideologies inspired both audience and filmmakers in ways beyond foresight. Of course, even the common filmgoer, or one that dabbles in silent film perhaps, will be first to point out the expressionalist set pieces (as seen above) that encompass every corner of the frame. They indeed not only form a singular work of art but are art at the highest level in themselves as they do not exist in order to purport mood but to create a contextually inspired masterpiece that which encapsulates the ferocious inner workings of our protagonist Francis. It's in the very least a technical element that transcends mere craft and it makes the (for the time) unthinkable motifs of the film flourish. Alas though, I shall let the pictures do the talking...

Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Lynch, 1980

Throughout my critiques I think it has, by this time at least, become apparent that I have a penchant to disregard the emotional throngs that a film might put one through unless of course it is realized in itself and necessary to the conceptualization of the film as a whole. Here, in a movie that most judge as being a very noteworthy emotionally burdening experience, it's Lynch's handle on the motifs and themes that has me much more intrigued and couple quite nicely with the noteworthy technical merits as well.

Throughout the course of what is one of Lynch's more narratively straight-forward tellings we the viewer examine the relationship between Dr. Frederick Treves (Hopkins) and "elephant man" John Merrick (Hurt). What had begun as a rescue of Merrick from a side-show lifestyle quickly evolves into a series of trying times, reflecting, in part, man's innate desire to, in a sense, create via seeing something through. Treves for all intents and purposes is indeed a good man as his motives, which can appear to be self-promoting at times, pale in comparison to those of the common, everyday man. I don't believe the statement in itself is that the common folk are necessary morally bankrupt as individuals but instead as people in regard to extreme social shifts. The film can and does succeed as a somewhat subversive look into man's willingness to react towards something it does not understand. For some time now people have been musing over the actual intent behind laughter and other superficially joyous expressions, many of which we see demonstrated by Merrick's "early followers". Surely comfort and joy are stretches within the context of a side-show so one would assume (at least I would) that said feelings demonstrate the desire for escapism, for something outer-worldly and impractical; the way they saw Merrick as a man. The guiding light in the case of the film is that as viewers, regardless of his appearance, there is a clear and incredibly developed mapping of humanity which in turn asks what our true enjoyment in escapism and entertainment comes from if there is indeed more below the surface. Merrick as a whole is a real person and not a metaphor though the demonstration of his life can be seen quite allegorically. It's up to us, again, as the viewer to take what we get from not only the film but from people and the world itself as we peer out through our own limited windows.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

The Elephant Man has to be the only movie that made me shed a tear. Great write up.

Please visit our forum sponsors

Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Pain View Post
    The Elephant Man has to be the only movie that made me shed a tear. Great write up.
    Thanks. It is quite a moving and affecting film which is something I rarely say.

New entry in a minute.

Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

Evans, 1993

Though this choice may be seen as one that is less technically proficient when placed in the company of its surrounders, The Sandlot remains the greatest family film I've seen; a moving and responsibly resonant picture that adequately explores our inner nostalgist. It's also the greatest film about baseball ever made.

The journey and transformation of Scotty Smalls is not only a highly recognizable one but one that is also culturally apt and well-defined. Of course, keeping in my tradition of touching on little in terms of plot, Smalls moves into a new neighborhood and is forced to reconcile his socially phobic yearnings by meeting new friends and thus discovers baseball. While the film takes place in 1962 it's quite evident that Evans was appropriately musing heavily on the current state of adolescence and how technological interference is an ever-growing problem. Trust me, such themes are there. Twice in the movie we actually see the use of technology stall the growth and progress of our main characters as Smalls uses his Erector Set toys as a social crutch and again when confronting "the beast". In the latter of the two instances, several attempts are made using childlike ingenuity to foil what can best be described as a force of nature. The beast wins handily every time. It is only when another character was willing to scrap the advances of modernity and pickle the beast (save, PF Flyers but this again harps on motifs of mythology) that such a daunting task could be overcome, which says quite a bit about the film's stance on growing up in modern America.

Obviously, the environmental recapturing of 1962 was necessary in terms of creating a fulfilling atmosphere but it was not a throwback piece for the director as it was the year he was born. Therefore the longing can't come from memories themselves but of a cultural repetition; where once again an era of pureness and self-discovery are taking a back seat to a new movement. Of course, that isn't to say that the film is anti-progressive but aware of its feelings and the important of roots. The idolization shown by the boys for many sports figures, most notably Ruth, plays distinctly well against the ideology that such perspectives will be forever changing in their eyes, regardless of their age. Their spirit is that of innocence and discovery, a combination that greatly resonates when accompanied with the purest of games, in the most important of arts.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I remember watching The Sandlot when I was young, great family movie.

I love the Sandlot, great write up as well Definitely deserves to make the list. "Your killing me smalls!" :keke:

[April|MOTM] Braaq

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

The Sandlot is very enjoyable, I'll never grow out of it. Kind of a random choice of picture for the banner. :dunnodude:

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    The Sandlot is very enjoyable, I'll never grow out of it. Kind of a random choice of picture for the banner. :dunnodude:
    I know it should have been with her oiling herself

the sandlot? make no mistake i love the movie. but it seems to me your putting it on this list because its the best family/baseball film you've ever seen, not one of the best 100 ever made. its a cute movie and i remember it fondly but i'm not seeing it anywhere near the top 100 of all time.

Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

the sandlot? make no mistake i love the movie. but it seems to me your putting it on this list because its the best family/baseball film you've ever seen, not one of the best 100 ever made. its a cute movie and i remember it fondly but i'm not seeing it anywhere near the top 100 of all time.
    Why not? And I'll warn you now that you will lose this debate if you choose to pursue it.

Why not? And I'll warn you now that you will lose this debate if you choose to pursue it.

i'm not debating with you line. i'm not a movie buff as you clearly are. i just think the inclusion of the sandlot on your list of the best 100 films EVER based more on it being your favorite family film is a little odd.

i'm not debating with you line. i'm not a movie buff as you clearly are. i just think the inclusion of the sandlot on your list of the best 100 films EVER based more on it being your favorite family film is a little odd.
    Just throwing this in here, it is Line's Top 100 Greatest Movies of all Time.. not ours. With his knowledge and passion he gives us write ups explaining why he chooses the movies, but he doesn't have to because this is his list of his choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Braaq View Post
    Just throwing this in here, it is Line's Top 100 Greatest Movies of all Time.. not ours. With his knowledge and passion he gives us write ups explaining why he chooses the movies, but he doesn't have to because this is his list of his choices.
    true. idk i just never saw my favorite childhood movie as being one of the greatest films ever. more just a feel good movie about growing up :dunnodude:.

it is a good list and i'm really not objecting to the inclusion of the sandlot as i do like it. i just found it weird to be on this list with so many other classic films

Height
    5'8"
    Weight
    188 pounds
    Biceps

Chest

Waist

true. idk i just never saw my favorite childhood movie as being one of the greatest films ever. more just a feel good movie about growing up :dunnodude:.

it is a good list and i'm really not objecting to the inclusion of the sandlot as i do like it. i just found it weird to be on this list with so many other classic films
    It has to do with weighted criticism based on values and objective. The Sandlot has an encompassing purity and understanding of itself that overshadows basic lines of critical thinking such as how well a film is acted or shot. Yes, those are important attributes to a technically sound film but there's no guarantee that it will even graze artistry. Does this mean I'm calling The Sandlot art? Maybe, but either way the progressive display of its director is an important realization in terms of filmmaking geared towards a younger audience.

It has to do with weighted criticism based on values and objective. The Sandlot has an encompassing purity and understanding of itself that overshadows basic lines of critical thinking such as how well a film is acted or shot. Yes, those are important attributes to a technically sound film but there's no guarantee that it will even graze artistry. Does this mean I'm calling The Sandlot art? Maybe, but either way the progressive display of its director is an important realization in terms of filmmaking geared towards a younger audience.

i had to read this a little slowly (your analysis have a lot of depth) and i see your reasoning and it does make sense. i guess i am thinking more that a great film needs superb acting/directing to be considered great. but the quality of the story is what puts the sandlot on this list and i agree with the inclusion. thanks for explaining it.

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY

Similar Bodybuilding Threads

1. 15k - Line's NEW Top 100 Films of All Time
    By Line in forum Movies, Games, TV and Music
    Replies: 78