• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Lose or Use Fat

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I'm wondering what would be more beneficial for me. I'm 6'1" around 235 lbs. I've already 15 lbs. I still have quite a bit of fat which I know is not good. What I am planning on doing is cutting down to around 190-200, then going on a clean bulk to regain strength & size. Is that counter productive to slim down to turn around and bulk right back up? Albeit it will be much cleaner without all the fat, I just don't want to shoot myself in the foot when there was a better option staring me in the face.

This is my routine in case it matters:
Mon:
Squats, Bench Press, Pullups, Military Press, BB Curl
Tues: LISS Cardio (30 Min)
Wed: Bent Over Rows, DB Inc Press, Side Lat Raise, Seated Tri Ext, Hammer Curls
Thurs: LISS Cardio (30 Min)
Fri: Deadlift, Lunges, Dips, Calf Raise, Ab Work
Sat: LISS Cardio (30 Min)
Sun: LISS Cardio (30 Min)

Point me in the right direction!

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
If you diet, you'll have a rebound and thats good to gain mass though

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

So basically, I need to get rid of this fat first, then concentrate on building back up?

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
So basically, I need to get rid of this fat first, then concentrate on building back up?

Thats one way to do it..The body will be like a sponge after a "hard" diet..So if you eat lots of clean food during your rebound that body will build some good mass. The other way would be to bulk right now, then cut

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Well, I'm kind of already bulked. I'm overweight. I'm where someone would be after a bulk (not clean) without the strength, I am very weak. I feel the weight is holding me back in terms of energy and my cardiovascular.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, I'm kind of already bulked. I'm overweight. I'm where someone would be after a bulk (not clean) without the strength, I am very weak. I feel the weight is holding me back in terms of energy and my cardiovascular.

Than cut down for a few weeks and perform a clean bulk after that. Make sure you keep track of your bodyfat and cals and if needed make adjustments along the way.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Than cut down for a few weeks and perform a clean bulk after that. Make sure you keep track of your bodyfat and cals and if needed make adjustments along the way.

Up to now, I've lost 15 pounds in 4 weeks. That's roughly 3.5 lbs a week. The more I look through threads about fat loss, the more I hear that this is an unhealthy number. I've been eating about 2000-2200 calories a day, which seems right for me (6'1''-235) as my maintenance is about 2400. Is this look unhealthy to you?

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
A guy your size are dieting with 2400kcal. If you lose a couple of pounds the first week maybe even at the second week, its mostly water.
I'de say 1lbs a week, max 2lbs in weight loss is good. Anything over that could be muscle

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Are you saying I should be eating 2400 calories a day, up from 2000? If so, that's fine with me, I don't mean allowing myself the extra food.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Are you saying I should be eating 2400 calories a day, up from 2000? If so, that's fine with me, I don't mean allowing myself the extra food.

No, not necessary. I use this formula to see how much I should eat.

(Weight in lbs) x (Training intensity)

The training intensity is between 10-20. 10 is a day without any stress from the gym. Pretty much idle level. 20 is a day with a high level of stress in the gym.

This is how it looks like for me right now

A normal training day:

(240) x (15) = 3600kcal

A day out of the gym with no cardio

(240) x (10) = 2400kcal

And on a really high day.

(240) x (20) = 4800kcal

50-60% of the total kcal intake should be protein. Then you fill up with carbs to a level you are comfortable with. The rest will come from good fats. Carb cycling could be good too On a low carb day, increase the fat intake a bit for the energy

This dont count in the height of the individual, but it works good for me

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Very interesting...I will apply that to my stats.

Note: I see you live in Sweden. I live in the U.S., is a kcal the same as a U.S. calorie?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Very interesting...I will apply that to my stats.

Note: I see you live in Sweden. I live in the U.S., is a kcal the same as a U.S. calorie?

1 kcal is equal to 1000 calories. The amount of "calories" we eat every day are actually kcals. I'm not sure why, but I would assume people would just rather say that they eat a 2,000 calorie diet, rather than a 200,000 calorie diet, for simplicity.

I like your idea of cutting down, but when you do, don't clean bulk right away, your body will also be like a sponge for adding fat back as well.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I like your idea of cutting down, but when you do, don't clean bulk right away, your body will also be like a sponge for adding fat back as well.

Wow, I didn't know that. I was planning on bulking almost immediately after I finish cutting, but now I may have to re-think that. Maybe I'll wait a month before I start to bulk, I assume that'll be enough time. I think I'm just gonna start a thread to document my cutting, like a training log.