• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Back Workout and Tips!

swifty1

swifty1

Hey guys,
Been training now for abit and i'm enjoying it and feeling pretty good but my back workout is doing my noggin, so am just wondering if anyone cud tell me a good workout or tips to gain muscle mass on the back? Cheers guys!!!

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The back can be a very tricky area to work. Because you have to pull almost all exercises for your back through your arms they will alot of the time limit what you can do. So give your arms enough time to get stronger so they don't fatigue before your back.

Now that thats out of the way, the real meat and potatoes. You are going to want to include a variety or pulldowns, chinups, rows and deadlifts to get the most out of your back. The widegrip exercises generally target the lats and teres muscles, which will give your back that "wide" look. To get the that "Thick" look you will need to train the muscles like your traps, rhomboids and spinal erectors. To do that you need to do rows and deadlifts.

Now the grip and how you pull the weight can change the distribution of stresses immensely. So take the time to learn where you feel each exercise, and how a slight change in grip affects how you feel it. Once you have figured that out, workout for your back needs to encompass both the "width" and "thickness" movements. So you will need chins and rows and deads to get the full back workout. Don't forget about shrugs. A nice set of traps will add a lot to the look of your back.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Straps are a great assistance for back workouts if your grip isn't as strong as you'd prefer. They let you get those last big reps out when your hands give out.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just the basics. Back is a difficult muscle to really "feel" when you are contracting. The single best exercise for your back is the deadlift. Aim for a rep range of around 5 for your deadlifts, and keep getting stronger in them.

ie)
week one - 5 sets of 5 deadlifts @ 225 lbs
week two - 5 sets of 5 deadlifts @ 230 lbs
Week three 5 sets of 5 @ 235 lbs.....

week whatever.... 5 sets of 5 @ 405 lbs, by this point, you'll have a large back.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
bb bent over rows/ deadlifts..

Joeb23

Joeb23

What the hell is going on around here?:hhj: Now Serbmarko is banned. Is this some dumb joke that I don't get or what?:angrydude:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
What the hell is going on around here?:hhj: Now Serbmarko is banned. Is this some dumb joke that I don't get or what?:angrydude:

for 3 days, he requested it.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
for 3 days, he requested it.

i don't understand. why would you need to to request a ban? just stop posting and going on the site. or just go out in a whirling dervish and flame everyone and earn the ban.

please explain

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

another great thickness exercise for your back that no one has said yet is t-bar row
I love them I feel them just demolishing my back

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
i don't understand. why would you need to to request a ban? just stop posting and going on the site. or just go out in a whirling dervish and flame everyone and earn the ban.

please explain

why should he explain it. just deal with it.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
why should he explain it. just deal with it.

because it makes no sense to me and ironslave is a nice guy and i'm sure he would elaborate.

and i'm trying my very best to deal with it :jerkoff1: i mean the news just hit me so hard, i'm in shock!

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Here comes Skeptic to save the day. :hsughr: But anyways, the back can be a pretty hard area to master and develop, especially considereing how it's the slowest healing muscle. This in turn required that you fully know how to do the exersices for the back for if you do the wrong form, it can prove to be very costly. In my opinon, doing a lot of deadlifts, t-bar rows, lat pull downs, pull ups, rows, db rows etc. can really hit the back up pretty nicely, especially if they're done with the correct intensity and reps. Also, when doing some of the back workouts, try to contract the part that you're working out. For example, if you're doing a wide-grip pull up, you need to try to contract your back; usually by squeezing the shoulder blades together, in order to recruit and force the additional muscle fibers to get better results and thus a workout. I'll search around the web for some back tips, until then, I hoped this help!

MaKaVeLi

MaKaVeLi

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A mistake people make all too often with back training is that they lift weights that are heavier than required. It's important that you begin with lifting light weights, establish that mind-muscle connection and work your way up to heavier weights as your back strength increases. If you lift heavier weights than are required you end up training your biceps, forearms and rear delts more than your back - which is what probably 90% of people in the gym today are doing.

As mentioned above, if you want to build thickness you should get to work with the rowing and deadlifting. Pulldowns and chinups work well for your lat width but that doesn't mean rowing doesn't either! I'd recommend concentrating on the rowing at first - A good tip for form is to stick your chest out, let your arms be fully outsretched and concentrate on squeezing the shoulder-blades together as you perform the row. Usually a good 5-6 sets of rowing is enough to destroy my entire back and even though I tend not to lift overly heavy my back is a strong point in my physique. Once you've built some confidence in your rowing, start hitting some deads - but again, ensure you know how to perform this exercise with good form.

swifty1

swifty1

Hey guys, all these tips are really helpful! I think am just goin to stick to the basics then - rows, lat pulldowns and deadlifts for the time being then when my strength goes up start varying it! i'll let yas know how its goes, cheers fellas!