• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

eXplain diff btw front,hack and back squat!

X

Xeonen

Hi

What is the difference between these? and which is the best!! please help me im lost, i normally just do the back squat!

please talk about each one for me, google hasnt gotten me information that i required so i ask here!

Regards

J

jolly roger

I'm sure others will chime in with more complete replies, but for what it's worth: I try to use them all from time to time. As is often the case, it's not a question of which is best, but which suits your current focus. Back squats are great, but for me at least they focus a bit more on hams and glutes. Front squats bring in your quads more. I can only do barbell hack squats (home gym), so I'm not sure how the typical hack machine hits your legs. But again, I'd make use of them all from time to time. Hope this helps.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Front squats hit the thigh on the lower part.
Back squats hit the entire leg more or less.
Hack squats hit the lower part of the quad and the sweep on the quad

X

Xeonen

should i do all of them in one leg workout? and should i go right down until i touch my lower leg.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
should i do all of them in one leg workout? and should i go right down until i touch my lower leg.

I would do the hacksquats and either back or front squats.
And yes I think you should go all the way down..that will give you a greater stimulation in the muscle

samsam

samsam

You can't shape your damn muscles lol, they can only grow/shrink.
Try doing each of em first in your workout for a few weeks, the one that made your legs grow the most/best strength boost is the one working best for you as it is very individual.

IMO back squats are the best massbuilders, but doing all of them in the same workout will do you good.

Do not skip parts of the rep, use full range of motion, all the way down! Hit your ass to the grass.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Difference between front/back/hack/inside/outside/diagonal etc. squats as far as what muscles they work is like the difference between pronunciations of "tomato".

Basic back squats are the best exercise for legs, people need to worry less about quad sweep and that stuff, and worry more about overall size development. Can you shift tension more so to the vastus lateralis (the "outer quad muscle"), sure. But, to have legs at the size where it would make a difference is rare as hell. Just worry about getting your legs as a whole bigger, and your sweep will come with it.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i heard that the frontal squats work less on the bum, meanwhile the regular squats work the glute area more

is there any logic behind this?

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
as ironslave said, work to get the thighs bigger all over, then later u may adress weakpoints.

however thigh sweep is mostly genetics, just look at the pros, some people got it others dont, offc that doesent mean u shouldnt work to maximize what u have though...

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i heard that the frontal squats work less on the bum, meanwhile the regular squats work the glute area more

is there any logic behind this?

Yep your right. back squats (depending on stance, bar placement) focus more on posterior chain. Front Squats hit the core and focus on quads

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do them all....choose 2 per workout....just go heavy and hard and u will c development

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

for me when i do front squats I feel it hard in my quads and hardly feel it in my glutes and hams
when I do hack squats I feel it in my quads mostly but I still feel stimulation in my hams and glutes
and back squats I feel it all over but more in my hams and glutes than in my quads

I like starting out with front squats then going to hack squats back to back and then at the end of my workout finishing up with back squats to really hit my legs from all over equally

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I do back squats for the most part, but every 3rd week or so ill do front squats instead just for a change. Just go hard and heavy, use full range of motion, and all of them will give you results, just do some experimenting to find out which one is best for YOU.

C

CRAZY CJ 20

You should include all three of these great leg movements in your routine :xyxthumbs: here's why:

Back Squats are the primary leg builder. They are the "bench press" of the lower body. Nothing puts on mass and strength like squats. They also work your core muscles (abs, hip flexors, lower back) when you're balancing the weight.

Front Squats put the stress more on your quads. They are great for shredding that outer sweep of your quads.

Hack Squats are a great way to work the lower movement involved in back and front squats. They emphasize your quads again, especially the lower part of your quads.

Be careful with your depth of course, dont go too low and dont be scared to go low enough! 90 degrees is the perfect depth, anything less is cheating you of your workout and anything more is increasing the risk of injury in the knees and joints (this is very debaitable as well).