• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Amazing & Landmark photos

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
While I was looking for pics for my celebrity photo thread I came acros a site which is where a lot of these pics come from and thought it would be interesting to have a thread devoted to photo's that define an era, or just capture a moment , or have an emtional effect or are indicative of any number of things.

Take the time to read about the origin of these pics and feel free to add your own pictures that define an era or you find impressive, moving or whatever:

burningmonkms3-1.jpg

June 11, 1963, Thich Quang Duc, a Buddhist monk from Vietnam, burned himself to death at a busy intersection in downtown Saigon to bring attention to the repressive policies of the Catholic Diem regime that controlled the South Vietnamese government at the time. Buddhist monks asked the regime to lift its ban on flying the traditional Buddhist flag, to grant Buddhism the same rights as Catholicism, to stop detaining Buddhists and to give Buddhist monks and nuns the right to practice and spread their religion.

While burning Thich Quang Duc never moved a muscle.

alex

alex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
While burning Thich Quang Duc never moved a muscle.

i heve seen this picture but i didnt know the guy did move at all while he was burning.:hhj:how is that possible ?

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The image of firefighter Chris Fields holding the dying infant Baylee Almon won the Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography in 1996.Two people, Lester LaRue and Charles Porter, standing just three feet apart took almost the same image yet it was Charles Porter’s image that won the Pulitzer.

At 9:02, on April 19, 1995, Gulf War vet, Timothy McVeigh detonated 4,800 lbs of fertilizer and fuel oil. The resulting blast destroyed the Alfred P. Murrah Federal government Building and killed 168 people. The bombing, largest act of domestic terrorism, in America, shattered pre-911 America’s innocence.

As the fires raged rescue services and bystanders rushed to pull victims out of the twisted wreckage. Sifting through the rubble police officer, Sgt. John Avera found a small half buried body. Shouting. “I have a critical infant! I have a critical infant!” he thrust the, 1-year-old Baylee Almon into the arms of nearby firefighter Oklahoma City fire Capt. Chris Fields.

oklahomacitybombingvc2.jpg

The baby died.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is the picture of a student who tries to stop the tanks in Tiananmen Square standing in front of them. The tank driver didn’t crush the man with the bags but shortly after, the square filled with blood. The photo showed the Chinese that there is hope. However, China is still controlled by a communist regime.

tianamensqjq2.jpg

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i heve seen this picture but i didnt know the guy did move at all while he was burning.:hhj:how is that possible ?

Looks like he was busy meditating

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is an amazing shot - not just the photo but the procedure too:

An experimental – and controversial – procedure for treating a crippling birth defect in the womb offered Trish and Mike Switzer the only chance that their daughter would walk like other children. But the fetal surgery posed a fatal dilemma: Their baby could die before she was born.

Photographer Max Aguilera saiud about this photo: “During a spina bifida corrective procedure at twenty-one weeks in utero, Samuel thrusts his tiny hand out of the surgical opening of his mother’s uterus. As the doctor lifts his hand, Samuel reacts to the touch and squeezes the doctor’s finger. As if testing for strength, the doctor shakes the tiny fist. Samuel held firm. At that moment, I took this “Fetal Hand Grasp” photo.

As a photojournalist, my job is to tell stories through pictures. The experience of taking this photograph has had a profound effect on me, and I’m proud to share this moment with you”

newlifesl5.jpg

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Falling Man is the photograph taken by Richard Drew at 9:41:15 a.m., on September 11, 2001 showing one of the many men jumping from the WTC towers. The photograph provoked feelings of anger in the immediate aftermath of the September 11 attacks, particularly in the United States. It ran only once in many American newspapers because they received critical and angry letters from readers who felt the photo was exploitative, voyeuristic, and disrespectful of the dead. This led to the media’s self-censorship of the photograph, preferring instead to print photos of acts of heroism and sacrifice.

Jonathan Briley, a 43-year-old sound engineer who lived outside of Manhattan, in Mount Vernon, and worked in the North Tower restaurant, was identified by chef Michael Lomonaco as The Falling Man. According to the documentary he was also identified by his brother in the morgue by his orange t-shirt and shoes.

thefallingmanjy2-1.jpg

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is an amazing shot - not just the photo but the procedure too:

An experimental – and controversial – procedure for treating a crippling birth defect in the womb offered Trish and Mike Switzer the only chance that their daughter would walk like other children. But the fetal surgery posed a fatal dilemma: Their baby could die before she was born.

Photographer Max Aguilera saiud about this photo: “During a spina bifida corrective procedure at twenty-one weeks in utero, Samuel thrusts his tiny hand out of the surgical opening of his mother’s uterus. As the doctor lifts his hand, Samuel reacts to the touch and squeezes the doctor’s finger. As if testing for strength, the doctor shakes the tiny fist. Samuel held firm. At that moment, I took this “Fetal Hand Grasp” photo.

As a photojournalist, my job is to tell stories through pictures. The experience of taking this photograph has had a profound effect on me, and I’m proud to share this moment with you”

newlifesl5-1.jpg

Same thing happened to Dr House in the series "House"!

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This shot is heartbreaking when you read about the circumstances:

The photo is the “Pulitzer Prize” winning photo taken in 1994 during the Sudan Famine.
The picture depicts stricken child crawling towards an United Nations food camp, located a kilometer away.

The vulture is waiting for the child to die so that it can eat him. This picture shocked the whole world. No one knows what happened to the child, including the photographer Kevin Carter who
left the place as soon as the photograph was taken.

Three months later he committed suicide due to depression.

strickenchildva3-1.jpg

alex

alex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
this photo is from november 17 of 1973 when the military was in command of the country.people had risen against them...this photo shows the tank seconds before it crashes the door of the university that the risen had taken over and it was the HQ of the rebellion,killing many people that raised their voices against the fascist regime.many people died that night not only from the tanks but from the police that invaded the university afterwards.it was a dark age for my country that ended shortly after those tragic events and ending decades of civil wars making greece a better place to live.

after

it may not be a shocking picture like the previous one but it says a lot about the past of my country and it was the end of an dark age

the video

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ It's still significant as it shaped the way for the country you live in. So ion that repspect it is equally as impressive and relevant.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
those are some intense photos rock. Heartbreaking.

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Raising the Flag on Iwo Jima is a historic photograph taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. It depicts five United States Marines and a U.S. Navy corpsman raising the flag of the United States atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima in World War II.

The photograph was extremely popular, being reprinted in thousands of publications. Later, it became the only photograph to win the Pulitzer Prize for Photography in the same year as its publication, and ultimately came to be regarded as one of the most significant and recognizable images of the war, and possibly the most reproduced photograph of all times.

iwojima1.jpg

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The girl in the picture is Phan Thị Kim Phúc also known as Kim Phuc (born in 1963), a nine-year old running naked and severely burned on her back by a napalm atack.

Photographer Huynh Cong Ut, known by his colleagues as Nick, was working there as a photo journalist for Associated Press at the time and took a number of photographs of the villagers trying to escape the napalm. This one, epitomising the savagery and tragedy of the conflict, won him the coveted Pulitzer Prize and became one of the most published photos of the Vietnam war.

The boy is her older brother Tam who survived the attack but lost an eye. Ut (the photographer) poured water onto the young girl and took her and some of the other children to a hospital near Saigon where she spent fourteen months recovering from the horrific burns to her skin.

Later, the girl studied medicine and now she; a UNESCO member living in Canada.

Napalm_girl.jpg

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hiroshima's atomic bomb killed 80,000 on Aug 6. The later bomb in Nagasaki killed and injured a further 150,000.

nagasaki001-1.jpg

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
This is the iconic image of Space Shuttle Challenger’s smoke plume after its breakup 73 seconds after launch. The accident caused the deaths of all seven crew members of the mission.

On January 28, 1986, the Space Shuttle Challenger and her seven-member crew were lost when a ruptured O-ring in the right Solid Rocket Booster caused an explosion soon after launch. This photograph, taken a few seconds after the accident, shows the Space Shuttle Main Engines and Solid Rocket Booster exhaust plumes entwined around a ball of gas from the External Tank. Because shuttle launches had become almost routine after twenty-four successful missions, those watching the shuttle launch in person and on television found the sight of the explosion especially shocking and difficult to believe until NASA confirmed the accident.

Challenger_explosion.jpg

Mygeeto

Mygeeto

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hiroshima's atomic bomb killed 80,000 on Aug 6. The later bomb in Nagasaki killed and injured a further 150,000.

nagasaki001-1.jpg

the disturbing thing is, the 15kt Fat Boy and Little Man bombs are mearly farts compared to the 50mt Tsar bomb :uhoh2:

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
the disturbing thing is, the 15kt Fat Boy and Little Man bombs are mearly farts compared to the 50mt Tsar bomb :uhoh2:

You mean this one. This would be terrifying:

VIDEO FOOTAGE!!

R

Rocky

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is said this picture killed an industry. On May 6, 1937, the Hindenburg dirigible exploded killing 35 of the 97 people aboard. The incident killed the zeppelin travel industry, which was, at the time, considered the safest mode of air travel available. The funny thing is that it wasn’t the worst zeppelin accident but the only one cought on a picture…

And the original newsreel footage. Amazing stuff: