• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Need New Training Program Suggestions

C

CRAZY CJ 20

Hey there, I am in need of some new ideas for specific training programs that some of you know of or some of you have experienced first hand with good results. My goals for this training program are to primarily build more strength.

I am 19 and I have been training ever since I got a gym membership at age 14. I've hit a lot of speed bumps when it comes to health related issues (mono and GAD) but I feel primed and ready to make a big step. I'm about 5'7 and i weigh between 195-202lbs (fluctuates). My max's at the moment are bench: 385lbs, squat: 545lbs, deads: 505lbs. I know I'm somewhat pushing it for my weight and age but I really want to increase everything for the strength teir of my football training, so feel free to give me suggestions about ANY training programs. It does not have to be football-specific I can tie my other drills such as sprints and agility movements into it later. Thanks in advance to those of you who want to help.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
What programs have you already done?

C

CRAZY CJ 20

Critical Bench, several pyramid tecniques, nothing very specific besides the critical bench to be honest. Critical bench worked well for increasing my bench, but it lacked a good back and leg program to go with it, so I modified that part because they listed pretty much the same thing every week for back and leg days which i found to be quite poor. Usually I just go from heavy periods to medium then to light periods. I used to keep training logs but it got too tedius. Once I get a specific program ill log it for sure. I just recently made an account on here (made one on bodybuilding.com but most ppl on there were immature and couldnt get over me being 5'7, talk about rediculous), this site seems to be much more mature and logical, so im hoping to learn and interact with you all and hopefully get some good educational suggestions!

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I recommend this 5x5 routine as far as strength building goes, I've used it a few times and its given me great strength gains each time. The principals behind it can be utilised in future programs aswell.
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

I used the advanced routine each time but its up to you to decide where you think you should start, considering the weight you seem to be throwing around already I'd say the advanced wouldn't hurt you either.

BB.com is pretty immature I agree, I started up and account there a couple of years ago and have not once used it. What problem did they have with 5'7? That's my height also...

C

CRAZY CJ 20

I recommend this 5x5 routine as far as strength building goes, I've used it a few times and its given me great strength gains each time. The principals behind it can be utilised in future programs aswell.
http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/table_of_contents_thread.htm

I used the advanced routine each time but its up to you to decide where you think you should start, considering the weight you seem to be throwing around already I'd say the advanced wouldn't hurt you either.

BB.com is pretty immature I agree, I started up and account there a couple of years ago and have not once used it. What problem did they have with 5'7? That's my height also...

thanks for the link, im definently going to look into it. i dont know what their problem was, I guess they found it funny for some reason that i was short, yet it doesnt seem to slow me down one bit. i guess some people are just ignorant and seem to think height is everything, when really basketball is probably the only sport that would require me to be a little taller, but i dont play it so not my problem =)

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Just remind them that being 5'7 makes squats and deads easier.

C

CRAZY CJ 20

Just remind them that being 5'7 makes squats and deads easier.

haha well i stopped going on there, it was very nonproductive in those forums. so with this 5x5 program, does it really only require 3 workouts per session?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
3 exercises per session you mean? And 3 sessions per week. Its based around the core compound lifts and essentially works by small incremental increases each set. Believe me, once you get towards the later stages of the program you'll be feeling it. It only uses the bare minimum of exercises so that there is more of a focus on recuperation.

C

CRAZY CJ 20

3 exercises per session you mean? And 3 sessions per week. Its based around the core compound lifts and essentially works by small incremental increases each set. Believe me, once you get towards the later stages of the program you'll be feeling it. It only uses the bare minimum of exercises so that there is more of a focus on recuperation.

i see, this would certainly be different for me because im used to going 4-5 times per week doing each muscle once a week.

lately this has been my schedule:

legs

chest + abs

Back

shoulders + abs

tris + bis

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
I've always done the same and have often had problems with the 5x5 and its lack of volume, but its always been just in my head. The results spoke for themselves. Its just back-to-the-basics training, no isolations and maximum focus on recuperation.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
C

CRAZY CJ 20

I've always done the same and have often had problems with the 5x5 and its lack of volume, but its always been just in my head. The results spoke for themselves. Its just back-to-the-basics training, no isolations and maximum focus on recuperation.

yeah well i am definently considering giving it a shot. any other ideas?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Well if you don't want to do that particular routine I would suggest taking the incremental increases principle out of it and applying it to your routine. Also whatever you do, if strength is your real focus, just stick to the compound movements. Squats, Presses, Rows, Deads, Clean-and-presses. You can't go wrong with these.

Have you looked into any powerlifting routines maybe?

C

CRAZY CJ 20

Well if you don't want to do that particular routine I would suggest taking the incremental increases principle out of it and applying it to your routine. Also whatever you do, if strength is your real focus, just stick to the compound movements. Squats, Presses, Rows, Deads, Clean-and-presses. You can't go wrong with these.

Have you looked into any powerlifting routines maybe?

not really, honestly, ive used bodybuilding approaches through most of my 4 years training. the strength came as my size increased but now im at a bit of a stop

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Well since 5x5 sound so different to you I think it might be just what you need, something new! Wait around and see what other people say though, there's lots of smart people round here.

C

CRAZY CJ 20

Well since 5x5 sound so different to you I think it might be just what you need, something new! Wait around and see what other people say though, there's lots of smart people round here.

yeah im gonna take in as much info as i can from people on here and decide something to start up next week. for now ill just keep doing what ive been doing. i just started taking cell tech again last week so im noticing some good little gains, nothin like creatine :xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm using 5x5 atm and I'm really pleased with the results so far.

You could also try a westside barbell routine. Most of them are build around strenght but its till possible to gain some muscle mass.

wrestling lyon

wrestling lyon

I would say try a HIT program
high intensity low-volume
I'm currently doing a mostly HIT style training routine with and upper/lower body split and I love the way I'm responding