• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

My brother needs to gain weight

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
my bros almost 25yrs old
he's bout' 5'10 and 125lbs
needs to gain mass, don't get me wrong
for his size he's pretty strong
db flat presses 65lbs for now
he just needs to gain general mass.
we stopped at the nutrition store saw
serious mass, BSN true mass, After max
hmmm muscle milk, muscle milk collegiate...
which one out of those would be good for him?
he also has a habit of shitting and farting alot
with the ones that have lots of fiber...
plus is there a good pill/supplement that can
help him gain weight? or at least increase his appetite?
he wanted me to post this for him, cus' he is very skinny

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
At that weight just having regular meals would help. I'm betting breakfast is nonexistent or at least minimal, I'm betting that there aren't any snacks throughout the day, and I bet he doesn't have much of an idea of how much he eats.

One way is to record his food intake in a food log for a week. See what he eats, when and how much. Then work out his calorie intake and his calorie needs and then add ~500 cals to this per day. This is as simple as a morning and afternoon snack.

Keep the foods healthy and with as little processing as possible. There is absolutely no need for any supplements at this stage (unless it is support for his training like a PWO shake, creatine, fish oil, glucosamine, multivit).

Reactions: Hypocrisy86 and loveofbodybuilding
bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ or he just has an extremely high metabolism/thyroid problem

I could help you out with this. When I graduated high school I didnt weigh but 190 and every college coach told me to gain weight. Instead of constantly buying weight gainers another football coach told me to just buy whey and put oatmeal in with it for the carbs, and some dextrose. 3 of these a day packed on some mass pretty quick like.

The food log that tim mentioned is a great idea though.

They have a pill called Black hole that supposedly you take before you eat and it blocks the enzymes that tell your body that your full so that you can eat more than normal. I'm a little skeptic on that one but if I only weighed 125 I would be willing to do anything.

Reactions: Hypocrisy86
The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Tim and Bam give some great tips. Supps should not really be considered at this point unless he refuses to eat, or is unable to eat sufficient calories to put him in surplus.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ or he just has an extremely high metabolism/thyroid problem
Yes he could have, but pretty unlikely, that's why I didn't mention it. Besides he would have other symptoms.
I could help you out with this. When I graduated high school I didnt weigh but 190 and every college coach told me to gain weight. Instead of constantly buying weight gainers another football coach told me to just buy whey and put oatmeal in with it for the carbs, and some dextrose. 3 of these a day packed on some mass pretty quick like.
:jerkoff1: You ate more food/meals and you gained weight?! Shit really?
The food log that tim mentioned is a great idea though.

They have a pill called Black hole that supposedly you take before you eat and it blocks the enzymes that tell your body that your full so that you can eat more than normal. I'm a little skeptic on that one but if I only weighed 125 I would be willing to do anything.
I wouldn't be advising to take anything. Especially as that supplement encourages gorging which is wasteful, counterproductive to lean gains, and inefficient.

I wrote a satirical piece a year or two ago about the wonder supplement FORK. Until people learn to eat properly and healthily there is no supplement or radical diet that will help. Teaching a noob to eat poorly will just make it harder in the long run.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^hyperactive and hypoactive thyroids arent actually that uncommon. I was just adding to what you said and saying that that was a possibility, there was no reason to get hostile. I was just saying I did not have the money to buy those weight gainers which usally only consist of 15-30 servings and it was much more cost effective for me to do this. I was not making the argument that eating more would make him gain weight thats common sense I was sensibly offering a cheaper outlet than what hypo offered. Obviously your too smart too see that I was saying that because you were writing your piece.... glad to see you get an ego boost on putting down other peoples suggestions.

I agree with the creator, food is the best thing you can do for mass. Peanutt Butter sandwhiches before bed helps a lot too.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Tell the motherfucker to eat! If he has 3 meals a day, up it to 5, if he has 5, up it to 8.

Supps don't make you gain weight, they're just a helpful "supplement"...

theweapon

theweapon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^hyperactive and hypoactive thyroids arent actually that uncommon. I was just adding to what you said and saying that that was a possibility, there was no reason to get hostile. I was just saying I did not have the money to buy those weight gainers which usally only consist of 15-30 servings and it was much more cost effective for me to do this. I was not making the argument that eating more would make him gain weight thats common sense I was sensibly offering a cheaper outlet than what hypo offered. Obviously your too smart too see that I was saying that because you were writing your piece.... glad to see you get an ego boost on putting down other peoples suggestions.
X2:bowroflarms:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I agree with the creator, food is the best thing you can do for mass. Peanutt Butter sandwhiches before bed helps a lot too.
I wasn't being hostile, I was being blunt because I thought what you were saying was either erronous or poor advice. I don't get an ego boost out of posting on forums.

The thyroid conditions you refer to as being common are not physiological conditions that require treatment in most cases. These are usually diet induced conditions that can be fixed by proper eating, only in extreme cases is it something that needs to be treated. Ironslave is the physiologist he can correct me on this if I'm off track.

You are still recommending (while a much better shake than a weight gainer) a supplement approach to the problem. This limits dietry variety, increases reliance on supplements (whey in this instance, but also vitamin and nutrient supplements), and creates long term poor eating habits. Essentially half the meals will be shakes rather than whole food. This may sound "normal" to a BBer who has been exposed to endless supplement marketing, but it really is poor advice. This is why I was so blunt in replying to your post, the beginner needs to learn to eat properly first!!!! He needs to learn to eat more of the right foods, not just blend and drink.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok ok guys chill .
i have some more info for you all bout this

he takes after my moms side of the family skinny basically
my mom has a thyroid problem too and takes medication
also my brother did go to a dr. while back, he said he had something wrong with him i dunno, but he was one steroids of some sort, to help out....he also took painkillers, cus he, somewhat like me has joint, bone pain etc..
he eats when hes hungry, like when we were driving back home
from the gym once he said "IM FUCKING HUNGRY"
well man he eats a shit load, but not enough Per day in meals
i'll try to talk to him about the log idea too, he might go for that,
thanks guys! :)

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
tell him to eat one kg of oatmeal per day, thatll make him gain weight i assure you:D

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
well hes at work right now
but im going to implement what yall said
hope he listens lol.
Thanks BB, oatmeal is gooood

Workingatit46

Workingatit46

I wish your brother the very best:xyxthumbs:

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanks man! :D

frezzy

frezzy

maybe you could get a few diet logs posted on here?

that way suggestions can be made based off of the meal plan, that might be helpful..

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
shall do. i'll wait till he gets home

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
To gain weight, eat more calories than your body burns, eat more meals(smaller meals are better), eat more protein and lift heavy, and be consistent as well with your eating.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For me, it is not the kind of food that I eat but the manner. When I am not hungry yet and I eat expect a weight gain especially when I eat rice. Try eating every 3 hours even a meal of a snack regardless of the physical activity that you do.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, if you need to gain weight pretty quickly, then you shouldn't worry about eating healthy. Just eat about anything that comes your way and you can be rest assured of gain weight very quickly.

H

Henrywrites

Banned
For me, I don't think it is something that should be a worry to him. What is important is to keep training and eating loads of protein supplements. That is the best way to gain muscles, and not weight though. The thing about gaining weight and not muscles is that you will have to train again to shed those fats.