• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

OH_Broker's Training Log

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Well, this is the best way that I know of to keep myself accountable. Even if nobody reads this, I will still have an avenue to document my daily activity. About a year ago, I lost over 60 pounds. In the span of then till now, I gained most of it back, mostly because I had little knowledge of how to do it correctly, which made it almost impossible for me to maintain and build upon my new figure. But I'm OK with that. I realize there will be setbacks along the way and if I don't stand up to them and learn from them, I'm gonna be right back in this boat I don't want to be in.

Here are my current stats:
Weight: 248
Height: 6'0"
Waist: 40"
BF: Not official, but I would guess around 35%

Goals:
Weight: 190
Waist: 32
BF: 15%

I'm in the process of an upper/lower split. It seems the most logical to me to hit as many body parts as I can in each exercise. I try to focus on compound exercises. Today is lower half. I plan on doing 3 sets of leg extensions, ham curls and seated calf raises. I usually finish it up with 11 minutes on the bike. I try to increase a minute a week on the bike.

I love suggestions and constructive criticism. I've already gained so much knowledge from this site; the information at times is overwhelming, but so helpful. If you feel the need, please let me know what I could be doing better and what you think is working.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Good luck with the goals mate!

I would recommend doing Squats or a variation of suqtas instead of leg extensions.

What does the rest of your workout look like? what does your upper body workout look like?

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Good luck with the goals mate!
Thanks!

I would recommend doing Squats or a variation of suqtas instead of leg extensions.
I will substitute today's lower day with squats. :tiphat:

What does the rest of your workout look like? what does your upper body workout look like?
Yesterday Upper:
Incline DB Press - 1 Warmup, 3 Working Sets
BB Upright Row - " "
Lat Pull Down - " "

Part of my problem is I don't have a solid upper/lower routine. I need to find a routine, I know, I've been lazy in that department. Anyone know of one?

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Awesome goals to meet man!. glad to see you in the logs! :tiphat:

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Yesterday's leg workout went extremely well. I can always tell the next morning how effective my leg workout was, and boy was I feeling sore this morning. I substituted my leg extensions with squats and went with ham curls and seated calf raises to finish out the workout. Even though I can't squat that much, it's an exercise I'm going to incorporate into my routine on a regular basis. Part of being new to the area of fitness is learning about new exercises, and the easiest way I know of to learn is to get behind the bar and move some weight.

Today was cardio only. I got on the bike for 25 minutes of LISS cardio. I get so winded it's pathetic, but I know it's important in building my system up and developing a very healthy cardiovascular system. Gradually, I know it gets better with consistent hard work.

Today was also measurement day. Right now I'm only using the scale. Today I weighed in at 246.2. A week ago, I was 249.4, so I dropped a little over 3 pounds this week, which I'm very pleased with. I don't want to fall into the trap of losing too much weight. I want to do my best in retaining what I work very hard for in the gym. Tomorrow is upper body. Until then...

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
You've got good goals mate but your routine can definitely do with some refinement. As Hypo mentioned, dump the extensions in favour of squats. You could also lose the leg curls in favour of stiff-leg deadlifts. On upper I'd hit the normal bench first and replace the upright rows with bent rows or t-bar rows. Do you have a rep range set out? I'd suggest 3 x 8-12 for a beginner.

Here's an example
Upper
Bench Press
Incline DB Press
Bent Row
Lat Pulldown
DB Shoulder Press

Lower
Squats
Leg Press
Lunges
SLDL
Calf Raises (I only really added this in to balance out the program, you could do a different type of squat instead or maybe leg curls.)

I think this covers most basics for a beginner. Here is a website that explains exercises for you as well: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Good luck!

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Are you a stockbroker by any chance.? Also I am from northeast ohio.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

You've got good goals mate but your routine can definitely do with some refinement. As Hypo mentioned, dump the extensions in favour of squats. You could also lose the leg curls in favour of stiff-leg deadlifts. On upper I'd hit the normal bench first and replace the upright rows with bent rows or t-bar rows. Do you have a rep range set out? I'd suggest 3 x 8-12 for a beginner.

Here's an example
Upper
Bench Press
Incline DB Press
Bent Row
Lat Pulldown
DB Shoulder Press

Lower
Squats
Leg Press
Lunges
SLDL
Calf Raises (I only really added this in to balance out the program, you could do a different type of squat instead or maybe leg curls.)

I think this covers most basics for a beginner. Here is a website that explains exercises for you as well: http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html
Good luck!
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm well aware my routine needs some major changing and I'm glad everyone is so willing to point me in the right direction.

Are you a stockbroker by any chance.? Also I am from northeast ohio.

No, I develop real estate in the Cleveland, Canton and Columbus markets.

Today was another cardio only day. I did 25 minutes of LISS cardio on the bike and again found myself very winded. Nevertheless, I persevered and finished the full 25.

My basic routine consists of the following:
M: Upper
TU: Lower
W: Cardio
TH: Upper
F: Lower
SA: Cardio
SU: Cardio

Obviously by looking at that schedule, I have two days off in a row on the weekend. Is this OK? Should I move my Upper to Sunday and just continue accordingly?

Tomorrow's an upper day and I'm going to take some time to go over those compound exercises Freako sent my way.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Have the 2 days off weights on the weekend and enjoy them, you'll probably need them.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
OH_Broker

OH_Broker

I've decided to begin the Rippetoe Starting Strength program. Here will be my split:

A:
Squat 3 x 5
Bench Press 3 x 5
Deadlift 3 x 5

B:
Squat 3 x 5
Stand Military Press 3 x 5
Pendlay Rows 3 x 5

Week 1: M=A, W=B, F=A
Week 2: M=B, W=A, F=B
Week 3: M=A, W=B, F=A

Today was Workout A and I did the following:
Squat:
Warmup - 115 x 10
Sets 1,2,3 - 135 x 5
Bench:
Warmup - 95 x 8
Sets 1,2,3 - 135 x 5
Deadlift:
Warmup - 95 x 8
Sets 1,2,3 - 135 x 5

I have to admit, I felt the weakest on the bench. I struggled with the 3 sets. Although it's not much weight at all, it just proves I have a lot of hard work ahead of me. But it doesn't discourage me. I know everyone starts from somewhere and this is my starting point. Gradually, I know I'll get stronger and gain more confidence. Right now, I'm taking it slow and trying to use perfect form. Tomorrow is cardio only. I'll probably jump on the bike for some LISS cardio, about 20 minutes.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Good work on starting the Rippetoe program. May I recommend you follow it with a beginner 5x5 routine once you've got yourself a good base strength.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Good work on starting the Rippetoe program. May I recommend you follow it with a beginner 5x5 routine once you've got yourself a good base strength.
I will definitely keep that in mind. Also, I think the actual exercises change a bit after a couple months.

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Pretty straight forward today. 20 minutes on the bike. I felt pretty good, though I was a little winded towards the end. I can see an improvement almost daily, which is encouraging.
Lower back is very sore from the deadlifts yesterday, as well as my quads from the squats. Those compound exercises take a toll on you.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Compounds are fun! Keep it up Broker. :xyxthumbs:

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Wow, my quads are screaming at me today. Holy crap! I asked in an earlier post if I should take 2 days off in a row (cardio only) on the weekends, and the response was "yes, you'll need it". I have never agreed with anything more. Despite the soreness, here's today's workout:

Workout B
SQUATS:
Warmup: 115 x 10
Sets 1,2,3: 155 x 5
STANDING MILITARY PRESS:
Warmup: 65 x 10
Set 1: 95 x 5
Set 2: 95 x 4
Set 3: 95 x 3
PENDLAY ROWS:
Warmup: 95 x 10
Sets 1,2,3: 135 x 5

The MP really kicked my butt. Can't wait till Monday and hopefully improve. The rows are a great exercise. Again, pretty winded towards the end, but I really had to concentrate on each rep. Still sore, but feeling great.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Keep at it mate, the results will be worth it.

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
good luck with reaching ur goals man, just work hard and ull get there:)

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Keep at it mate, the results will be worth it.
I believe that, the results are already starting to show

good luck with reaching ur goals man, just work hard and ull get there
Thanks for the ecouragement!!

OH_Broker

OH_Broker

Cardio day - hit the bike for 20 minutes. I felt really good today, all throughout the morning and even after my cardio. The only thing is lately I've been getting really hungry around 10-10:30 AM. It just sort of hits me. Right now, I've been eating 3 meals a day, very clean, but I think I may bump that up to 5 smaller meals throughout the day, solely to get more food in more often. I'll probably start that Saturday. It probably didn't help that Honey Baked Ham was ordered for the entire office today. The smells coming from the kitchen were speaking to me...but I opted for my chicken, potatoes and carrots instead. Probably not as delectable, but it's going to pay off for me soon enough.