• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Favre signs with the Jets!

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just read it on the newspaper cover this morning.

So, what's the deal? Having lived in WI in the late 90s, I personally feel.......

Favre is a greedy old man.

For fuck's sake, why didn't he take the 20 million the Packers offered and stay retired???????

:angrydude:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just read it on the newspaper cover this morning.

So, what's the deal? Having lived in WI in the late 90s, I personally feel.......

Favre is a greedy old man.

For fuck's sake, why didn't he take the 20 million the Packers offered and stay retired???????

:angrydude:

Couldn't disagree more. How can you say he's a greedy old man in one line, and the very next say "why couldn't he take 20 million to stay retired" ?

Could Brett have handled things infinite times better? Of course, no doubt about that. But he wanted to play football. He'd been practicing with a bunch of high school kids the whole summer, here's a guy who just loves the game.

Both sides were put in a pretty tough place, but I think overall a decent deal was done.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Personally this whole mess has made me lose alot of respect for Brett Fav--re :keke:

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Couldn't disagree more. How can you say he's a greedy old man in one line, and the very next say "why couldn't he take 20 million to stay retired" ?

Could Brett have handled things infinite times better? Of course, no doubt about that. But he wanted to play football. He'd been practicing with a bunch of high school kids the whole summer, here's a guy who just loves the game.

Both sides were put in a pretty tough place, but I think overall a decent deal was done.

Honestly, I'm waaay to biased to be fair. Favre just pisses me off.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

When I first read this I thought you were saying living during World War 1. I was gonna say, Freakzilla is the only
person I know that's that old.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
When I first read this I thought you were saying living during World War 1. I was gonna say, Freakzilla is the only
person I know that's that old.

LOL. Damn. Freakzilla is a dinosaur, HA!

F

Freakzilla

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I remember when Favre was still with the Atlanta Falcons.

I also vividly remember him passing the winning TD to Sterling Sharpe against the Detriot Lions to win a playoff game with only seconds remaining.

Oh, and you all you guys can eat shit and die.

Freak:carduindisguise

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He handled the whole thing extremely poorly, everyone did. But I find it hard to believe one can lose respect for him, he just wants to play football again.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
favre is now the biggest diva there is in my mind. a tearful retirement speech. a legacy like no other among QB's. every record there is for a QB. a ring. the man had it all. he could have sailed off into the sunset and retired with everyone on a high note. but he pulls this bullshit. really i went from liking the guy and pulling for him to i couldn't care less and he's just another diva athlete.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
favre is now the biggest diva there is in my mind. a tearful retirement speech. a legacy like no other among QB's. every record there is for a QB. a ring. the man had it all. he could have sailed off into the sunset and retired with everyone on a high note. but he pulls this bullshit. really i went from liking the guy and pulling for him to i couldn't care less and he's just another diva athlete.

He was second in MVP voting in the league last year. This isn't about the attention, the money, or anything else but playing football. How can you disrespect that?

I'm willing to bet any money that when Jordan un-retired, you didn't feel the same.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Ironslave
He was second in MVP voting in the league last year. This isn't about the attention, the money, or anything else but playing football. How can you disrespect that?

because sometimes there is more to a man's legacy than just "playing football". he is what like 39? why not spend time with his 2 daughters and wife more and retire knowing that he went out on top. his desire to continue to play has put an immense burden on the franchise that gave him so much and is coming of as a diva type display of pulling rank despite what his intentions may be.

I'm willing to bet any money that when Jordan un-retired, you didn't feel the same.

ahh your right. want to know how these 2 aren't comparable though? jordan in one of the most dissapointing events in sports ever retired at 30 YEARS OLD!!! in his prime and in the midst of a 3 year championship run.

now they are comparable in the fact that both men do want to continue just playing the game. however jordan (while still in his prime) returned without any little bullshit games played with the bulls. they wanted him back. and when he returned he solidified his placing as the greatest basketball player ever. what the hell does favre have left to do (or to put it better, what can he do? he's almost 40)? it would be different if green bay actually wanted him back. but once it became a media frenzy and drew all the attention away from actual football he should have realized it was an immense mistake that will only shed him in negative light.

and btw favre imo was not at all why green bay was such a surprise last year and drew far too much credit for their success just because of his name. thus the 2nd place in MVP voting.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
because sometimes there is more to a man's legacy than just "playing football". he is what like 39? why not spend time with his 2 daughters and wife more and retire knowing that he went out on top. his desire to continue to play has put an immense burden on the franchise that gave him so much and is coming of as a diva type display of pulling rank despite what his intentions may be.

Your ignorance toward pretty much everything is just appalling. Can you imagine what an athlete goes through knowing that he has to spend the next 40 odd years of his life no longer doing what he did his whole life? Tons of athletes go through depression once they retire, and I don't blame them at all. He can still play, and he wanted to play, so what?

ahh your right. want to know how these 2 aren't comparable though? jordan in one of the most dissapointing events in sports ever retired at 30 YEARS OLD!!! in his prime and in the midst of a 3 year championship run.

I meant the second time.

now they are comparable in the fact that both men do want to continue just playing the game. however jordan (while still in his prime) returned without any little bullshit games played with the bulls. they wanted him back. and when he returned he solidified his placing as the greatest basketball player ever. what the hell does favre have left to do (or to put it better, what can he do? he's almost 40)? it would be different if green bay actually wanted him back. but once it became a media frenzy and drew all the attention away from actual football he should have realized it was an immense mistake that will only shed him in negative light.

So what? Green Bay could have just released him if they didn't want him at all. Instead, they made the drama of saying he could be a backup, then they tried to bribe him to stay retired, then they said they'd let him compete for the starting job, until finally they traded him. He wanted to play football, period, end of story, and going back into retirement would be pointless because this is all about playing football, nothing more.

and btw favre imo was not at all why green bay was such a surprise last year and drew far too much credit for their success just because of his name. thus the 2nd place in MVP voting.

He had a great year, and was the best player on a great team. Was he ALL the reason for their success? Of course not, but still, he didn't get too much credit at all.

Once again, the man wants to play football. He wasn't holding out for more money, or because he didn't like playing in a small market, he wanted to come back and play... then both sides mishandled the whole ordeal.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Ironslave
Your ignorance toward pretty much everything is just appalling. Can you imagine what an athlete goes through knowing that he has to spend the next 40 odd years of his life no longer doing what he did his whole life? Tons of athletes go through depression once they retire, and I don't blame them at all. He can still play, and he wanted to play, so what?

Jesus how the fuck was anything i said ignorant? lifterdead has basically echoed the same sentiment i have but you have no such opinion of him do you now? i'd like to flip the same response to you and tell you your arrogance in ALWAYS (always) thinking your opinion is the right one is appalling. i have no doubts most athletes do go through depression once their heyday is over and i do sorely feel bad for those individuals. the point of that paragraph was to say there is more to an athlete's legacy than just "playing football" and brett's decision to continue just "playing football" is hurting his. not to mention bringing unwanted attention towards himself and putting green bay in a horrible situation. it is a lose lose for everyone....but hey the guy just wants to play football so its ok...... :jerkoff1:

I meant the second time.

you mean with the wizards? then you would have bet wrong my friend. i hated that decision for the same reason i hate favre's decision (even though jordan put no strain on anyone by returning) it was a senseless decision with little though put into it besides him just wanting to play. personally i feel it wasn't worth it at all, it made the wizards no better, and just hurt his statistics (he was the lone possesor of the #1 slot in PPG all time before he decided to come back again, now he is tied with chamberlain at 30.1 a game down from 32.3). it was more a publicity stunt to me to just sell tickets. i think an athlete as great as ones as jordan and favre should always have their legacy in mind in the career moves they make as they are undoubtedly 2 of the best athletes ever in their respective sports.

So what? Green Bay could have just released him if they didn't want him at all. Instead, they made the drama of saying he could be a backup, then they tried to bribe him to stay retired, then they said they'd let him compete for the starting job, until finally they traded him. He wanted to play football, period, end of story, and going back into retirement would be pointless because this is all about playing football, nothing more.

you aren't looking at this from GB's perspective at all. if they release him he signs with the vikings, a division rival (bad) a move that NO team would make if in a similar situation, if they make him a backup he disrupts team chemistry and puts undue pressure on Rodgers and brings unwanted media attention (bad), if he competes for the starting job he stunts the growth and maturation of Rodgers on top of putting immense uneccessary pressure on Rodgers (whom GB have invested time and money into and are banking on him to be the face of the franchise) as well as McCarthy (who will be flamed to no end if Rodgers has a bad game and he doesn't switch to Brett) on top of again bringing an unwanted media circus.

there is more to it than just playing football. the man has had his time and is one of the best ever. why in the world would it be worth it to him to squeeze one or two more uneventful seasons of playing time at the cost of his relationship with the franchise who helped make him who he is and tarnishing his immaculate legacy? i don't get it.

lifterdead

lifterdead

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well, Favre might piss me off, but I gotta agree with Ironslave.

As much as I might not like the way things worked out, he wants to play. At least that's admirable.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ now you switch sides......nice

I too think it's admirable, but that doesn't make it a good decision.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Jesus how the fuck was anything i said ignorant?

I have no idea.

lifterdead has basically echoed the same sentiment i have but you have no such opinion of him do you now?

No he didn't, he was a Packer's fan, and was just upset with everything, and admitted he was wayyy too biased.

i have no doubts most athletes do go through depression once their heyday is over and i do sorely feel bad for those individuals. the point of that paragraph was to say there is more to an athlete's legacy than just "playing football" and brett's decision to continue just "playing football" is hurting his. not to mention bringing unwanted attention towards himself and putting green bay in a horrible situation. it is a lose lose for everyone....but hey the guy just wants to play football so its ok...... :jerkoff1:

If they welcomed him back with open arms, none of it would have happened. Now, I'm not saying Green Bay should have done this, it's their choice not to. They chose not to, and Favre asked for his outright release. They denied it, yes, which was again, their right. After this point, both sides handled it very poorly, but what could Brett have done?

This won't "tarnish" Brett's legacy at all, just like Joe Montana playing for the Chiefs didn't tarnish his. Regardless, again, he wants to play football, and his family wanted him to play. This "tarnishing" his legacy stuff is bullshit, he's one of the classiest icons the NFL has ever had,

you mean with the wizards? then you would have bet wrong my friend. i hated that decision for the same reason i hate favre's decision (even though jordan put no strain on anyone by returning) it was a senseless decision with little though put into it besides him just wanting to play. personally i feel it wasn't worth it at all, it made the wizards no better, and just hurt his statistics (he was the lone possesor of the #1 slot in PPG all time before he decided to come back again, now he is tied with chamberlain at 30.1 a game down from 32.3). it was more a publicity stunt to me to just sell tickets. i think an athlete as great as ones as jordan and favre should always have their legacy in mind in the career moves they make as they are undoubtedly 2 of the best athletes ever in their respective sports.

Like Favre, Jordan just wanted to play. Does Jordan give a shit that his PPG average came down? Did it tarnish his legacy? I'd say hell no, the guy got the itch, and gave it his all until he couldn't give anymore. He can live the rest of his life knowing he didn't quit too soon, which I'm sure is something Favre was thinking. It's a different story having to retire because your time has come, than having to retire when you chose to end your time early.

you aren't looking at this from GB's perspective at all. if they release him he signs with the vikings, a division rival (bad) a move that NO team would make if in a similar situation, if they make him a backup he disrupts team chemistry and puts undue pressure on Rodgers and brings unwanted media attention (bad), if he competes for the starting job he stunts the growth and maturation of Rodgers on top of putting immense uneccessary pressure on Rodgers (whom GB have invested time and money into and are banking on him to be the face of the franchise) as well as McCarthy (who will be flamed to no end if Rodgers has a bad game and he doesn't switch to Brett) on top of again bringing an unwanted media circus.

Yes I am. I don't blame Green Bay for anything, nor do I blame Brett Favre. I think you're just fed up with the whole media circus that covered this ordeal, and im sure both sides of that were too. But, Brett wants to play football, and he can, damn well, and it is his right to do so.

So what about Aaron Rogers development? Should Brett have retired two years ago, so Aaron Rogers could come in as a second year player? Again, if Green Bay wanted to move on, that's their choice. They should have attempted to get a deal done sooner than they did.

there is more to it than just playing football.

No there's not

the man has had his time and is one of the best ever. why in the world would it be worth it to him to squeeze one or two more uneventful seasons of playing time at the cost of his relationship with the franchise who helped make him who he is and tarnishing his immaculate legacy? i don't get it.

He wants to play football, and that's it. Doesn't care about the money, the glory, anything else, the man just wants to go out, do what he loves, and compete at the highest level in the world. If you knew you could still do this, and be one of probably the top 5, and easily one of the top 10 QB's in the league still, would you do it? I would. Fuck society, and other stuff saying he "should" retire, it's his choice, and I think he made the right one.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
great to see somebody doesn't care about the money, and do it for the love to the sport...

i wish him good luck with the jets, but the redskins will kick there ass anyways :keke:

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
great to see somebody doesn't care about the money, and do it for the love to the sport...

i wish him good luck with the jets, but the redskins will kick there ass anyways :keke:

You Virginia people and ure Redskins :jerkoff1:

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
NFL Passing Yards leader..... FTW

The puss Rodgers will wind up hurt and GB will regret all of this.