How to get enough protein at school
Your first visit?
Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 18 of 30
  1. #1
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    780

    How to get enough protein at school

    How to get your protein up while going to school. Does someone has some tips or ideas how I can get a reasonable amount of protein at school.

    Similar Bodybuilding Threads:




    •   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

      MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical, Competition
      Muscle Building Community
        
      Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

  2. #2
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation theweapon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    3,544
    take a shaker with your protein mixed:wutyousay:
    what do you mean? like get protein in a high school cafeteria? whats foods??

    i just take zip locks with the servings i need ill usually take 2 baggies




  3. #3
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    780
    Something I can take along with me. I dont have and magnetron or oven at school and not the biggeste budget since I'm a student.




  4. #4
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation youngmusclejock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,092
    Protein bars, shakes just use the water from the lunch room to fill them. Easy to store in your backpack. Also how much protein are you trying to get in a day?


    MOD OF EQUALITY AND PEACE

    You can bank on that! Youngmusclejock Prez 2008


  5. #5
    Suring my senior year of highschool the one thing I did was get sliced turkey and put it in a little baggy and put it in my pocket. I also would bring tuna packets the little 3 oz. ones and eat them in the bathroom cause I cant eat that in clsas.




  6. #6
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation bambam55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,293
    whey is easy. Protein bars are ok. Hit up the caf if your in college. I love my caf they always have great food and boiled eggs in the morning.


    "Playing Linebacker is as close as you get to being a modern day Gladiator"- Bill Romanowski


  7. #7
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,271
    Just pack your meals and take them with you, just means a bit more prep work.

    But to be quite honest you don't actually need huge amounts of protein as much as you need decent food that won't have you eating just any old junk you can get from the cafeteria. You only need a max of 0.8g/kg of BW, so even at the touted 1g/lb you can still easily get this amount from your non-school meals.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off


  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    You only need a max of 0.8g/kg of BW, so even at the touted 1g/lb you can still easily get this amount from your non-school meals.
    I'm wondering where you got that number from Tim? 0.8g/kg of BW is too little, and definitatly not max. 1g/lb is good and 1,5 is probably even better. And when cutting I would recommended to go even higher.

    Whey is so cheap and easy, getting your daily intake should be peanuts. Preparing your meals is an option too.




  9. #9
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation youngmusclejock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    1,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm wondering where you got that number from Tim? 0.8g/kg of BW is too little, and definitatly not max. 1g/lb is good and 1,5 is probably even better. And when cutting I would recommended to go even higher.

    Whey is so cheap and easy, getting your daily intake should be peanuts. Preparing your meals is an option too.
    You are far from correct! The natural bodybuilder can only processs so much protein! Do you even have a clue what each macro nutrient is responisble for? Stop reading the muscletech ads!




  10. #10
    LIFT OR DIE bodybuilding reputation El Freako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    8,260
    I'm going with the whey suggestion. You can get it pretty cheap, especially off the internet. I wish I knew about protein when I was in highschool.


    My log - read it f*ckers!

    My lifting vids

    There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.
    -Mark Rippetoe


  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by El Freako View Post
    I wish I knew about protein when I was in highschool.
    Are you like a hundred years old?

    Edit: Dumb post thought you said you wish protein was out when you were in school :carduindisguise




  12. #12
    LIFT OR DIE bodybuilding reputation El Freako's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    8,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyk212000 View Post
    Are you like a hundred years old?
    Nearly... the internet was only just out when I was in highschool and my parents didn't get it til my senior year. Sadly I never paid much attention the the bodybuilding mags and the newsagent's either. They were always too far away from the music section.


    My log - read it f*ckers!

    My lifting vids

    There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.
    -Mark Rippetoe


  13. #13
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'm wondering where you got that number from Tim? 0.8g/kg of BW is too little, and definitatly not max. 1g/lb is good and 1,5 is probably even better. And when cutting I would recommended to go even higher.

    Whey is so cheap and easy, getting your daily intake should be peanuts. Preparing your meals is an option too.
    From the scientific studies into the topic :dunnodude:

    Your numbers sound more like the supplement company ads rather than what the literature states. Somewhere in my posts in this or the supplement section I posted a study about the actual numbers you need, I think the high ends where actually endurance athletes with 1.2-1.5g/kg (from memory).

    I still stand by the idea that food prepared prior should cover whatever your protein needs are without any troubles. Even if you do take a shake for convenience it is overkill.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off


  14. #14
    Mecca Maniac bodybuilding reputation mgballa4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    Somewhere in my posts in this or the supplement section I posted a study about the actual numbers you need
    can u post the link? i wanna read up on that


    The only way to be a champion is by going through these forced reps and the torture and pain. That's why I call it the torture routine, because it's like forced torture, torturing my body. What helps me is to think of this pain as pleasure. Pain makes me grow; Growing is what I want. Therefore for me, pain is pleasure. So when I experience pain, I'm in heaven.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


  15. #15
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,271
    Quote Originally Posted by mgballa4life View Post
    can u post the link? i wanna read up on that
    What? Am I the only one that can use the search function

    Try this http://www.musclemecca.com/showpost....0&postcount=22
    and this http://www.musclemecca.com/showpost....95&postcount=5
    not the actual study but has the reference and numbers in them.

    There are plenty of studies out there as well that support the figures in these posts that I have subsequently read. Type in a search into google scholar or pubmed if you want.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off


  16. #16
    i reckon best cheapest way to get in protien and carbs in high skool is tuna sandwiches, cant beat the classics haha :methman:




  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by youngmusclejock View Post
    You are far from correct! The natural bodybuilder can only processs so much protein! Do you even have a clue what each macro nutrient is responisble for? Stop reading the muscletech ads!
    Calm down on the attitude buddy.

    Plz provide sources for your claims instead.

    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    Somewhere in my posts in this or the supplement section I posted a study about the actual numbers you need, I think the high ends where actually endurance athletes with 1.2-1.5g/kg (from memory).
    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    What? Am I the only one that can use the search function
    With all respect, but I'm not going to search through your post history because you posted about something before. If you have something to say in this topic, say it here, or link what you previously said.

    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    There are plenty of studies out there as well that support the figures in these posts that I have subsequently read. Type in a search into google scholar or pubmed if you want.
    Same as above. You might not do this intentionaly, and I might be the only one who feels this way, but to me this comes off like 'I know my shit and, I'm not gonna dig that shit up for you because I already know it to be true, you go search for it yoursef and see I'm right!'

    If you want to back up your argument with sources, post the sources. If you don't want to do the extra work that is fine, but don't argument in a way that says: 'you're wrong, I'm right, because I've research backing me', without even showing it.

    Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    I was reading a recent review on metabolism and protein intake. I'm not sure how valid the reference was, but it had trials saying that around 1.6-1.7g/kg of BW was needed for athletes to maintain positive nitrogen status (Tipton and Wolfe 2004).



    So gues how little protein that is in g/lb!!!!!!
    1: J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.Links
    Protein and amino acids for athletes.Tipton KD, Wolfe RR.
    Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriner's Hospital for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.edu

    The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein.

    PMID: 14971434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    Basicly their point was: higher protein might be better, so why not. Pretty much like what I said.




  18. #18
    Mecca V.I.P. bodybuilding reputation tim290280's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Western Australia
    Weight
     
    Biceps
     
    Chest
     
    Waist
     
    Posts
    9,271
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    With all respect, but I'm not going to search through your post history because you posted about something before. If you have something to say in this topic, say it here, or link what you previously said.

    Same as above. You might not do this intentionaly, and I might be the only one who feels this way, but to me this comes off like 'I know my shit and, I'm not gonna dig that shit up for you because I already know it to be true, you go search for it yoursef and see I'm right!'

    If you want to back up your argument with sources, post the sources. If you don't want to do the extra work that is fine, but don't argument in a way that says: 'you're wrong, I'm right, because I've research backing me', without even showing it.
    I can understand where you are coming from BUT I have been a long time member of this board and its precursor and this is not the first time I have had this discussion. You could therefore see both my frustration in having to restate and repost facts again and again and again....... and also my lack of need to justify my facts as I have done so and have the history here to allow me some flexibility in this regard.

    The reason for having so many threads still available is so that you can go back and search through similar threads to find answers before asking questions. What you are alluding too is that no-one should have to bother doing the searching and we should just get rid of the old threads because there isn't anything to be learnt there. Either that or you and I have to keep referring to our old posts again and again rather than posters being active learners instead of passive learners.

    I think this last point is the point that grinds my gears the most (:methman: Family Guy reference FTW). I am not a passive learner and I find it annoying when others want to be so passive, essentially demanding information of you that they can't be bothered finding themselves.

    1: J Sports Sci. 2004 Jan;22(1):65-79.Links
    Protein and amino acids for athletes.Tipton KD, Wolfe RR.
    Department of Surgery, University of Texas Medical Branch, Shriner's Hospital for Children, 815 Market Street, Galveston, TX 77550, USA. ktipton@utmb.edu

    The main determinants of an athlete's protein needs are their training regime and habitual nutrient intake. Most athletes ingest sufficient protein in their habitual diet. Additional protein will confer only a minimal, albeit arguably important, additional advantage. Given sufficient energy intake, lean body mass can be maintained within a wide range of protein intakes. Since there is limited evidence for harmful effects of a high protein intake and there is a metabolic rationale for the efficacy of an increase in protein, if muscle hypertrophy is the goal, a higher protein intake within the context of an athlete's overall dietary requirements may be beneficial. However, there are few convincing outcome data to indicate that the ingestion of a high amount of protein (2-3 g x kg(-1) BW x day(-1), where BW = body weight) is necessary. Current literature suggests that it may be too simplistic to rely on recommendations of a particular amount of protein per day. Acute studies suggest that for any given amount of protein, the metabolic response is dependent on other factors, including the timing of ingestion in relation to exercise and/or other nutrients, the composition of ingested amino acids and the type of protein.

    PMID: 14971434 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

    Basicly their point was: higher protein might be better, so why not. Pretty much like what I said.
    Um you have only read the abstract then? They ran through a lot of literature and their own study for the figures I quoted. When they say higher rates they are talking higher than the current FDA and NSCA recommendations for athletes, which are quite low. It is also not the only paper on the subject and all recommend somewhere between 0.8 and 1.2 g/kg with upper levels of 1.5. You will note that the above abstract says that 2-3g/kg (the magic ~1g/lb) is regarded as unnecessary.

    I don't disagree with higher protein not being terrible for the body but if you look at the threads that the posts I linked came from you will see a much larger discussion from myself, Ironslave and Pickle. Some of the issues we raised with high protein intake was the cost, the acid diet effect (body acidosis is not a good thing), plus the neglection of carbs in the diet. So the reality is that most people are actually getting more than enough protein in their diet and don't need the extra. What they need to do instead is make sure that they have a balanced intake of nutrients and a correct level of calories.


    Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off




    • MuscleMecca Sponsors

      MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      musclemecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Powerlifting, Weight Training
      Supplements, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

        

        




 

 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

collapse Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
By agreeing to the above you are also agreeing to our Terms of Use and our Privacy Statement.