• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

9 year old not allowed to play baseball because he's "too good"

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
this is just sickening. Not only will they not allow the kid to play, but they disband his whole team.

If anybody can get a contact number for this league, it would be great to flood them with calls.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frightening for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thats just plain stupid.

Oloz

Oloz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The white sox still haven't found their 5th starter in their rotation.... hmmmm :p

B

Batmanx007

This has to be the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. If this kid smacked a home run everytime he stepped up to the plate, he'd be some kind of super hero. To tell someone, anyone, they're too good to play, or do anything is bullshit. Our society teaches us to find something we're good at, and stick with it

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Wow....... totaly unfair towards the kid and his team
what a load of crap for not letting them play, because of how good he is.

i LOL'd when i read the other team packed their gear and walked off because of the kid pitching :49: thats ownage right there

Fatality

Fatality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I heard though that he was, "A threat to the other kids lives..." Just a bunch of bull to cover up that their teams were no match for this kid. This is completely unfair and unjust.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
40mph at 9 years old?

ZOMFG!!1! steroids!!

That's really lame though. When I was 11 we went up against a kid who threw 75mph. We pretty much all shit ourself every at bat but you just gota deal with it and try. I know their really young but that's a good way to teach kids "if you don't reach your goal, lower your standards."

Oloz

Oloz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They should just move him up a few age groups if its that big of a problem

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Its messed up, let him play..

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
P

Pioneer

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They should just move him up a few age groups if its that big of a problem

Yea that seems like the logical option. But this is absolute crap, horrible sportsmanship by othe oppossing team's.

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Solution:

Play with older kids. More of a challenge and it will make him better.

Problem solved.

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ actually that sounds perfect.. didnt realize that... besides getting better, he'll definite have some unbeatable confidence/charisma if he goes pro

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
lol.

When I was 13 there was a kid who looked 18, he could grow a goatee and all, he threw the ball over 80mph. 80mph from 45 feet away is down right frightening let me tell you, but we sucked that shit up.

This kid actually ended up throwing a 94mph fast ball at age 17, then dropped out of school and smoked weed all day, talk about throwing a great thing away. I'm pretty sure he's in prison now actually :no: Funny thing regarding this kid is his fastball only improved by about 10mph over a course of 5 years :e5dunno:

Flex

Flex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No 13 year olds pitch 80 mph tweak.

Get teh fuck outta here.

:no:

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
No 13 year olds pitch 80 mph tweak.

Get teh fuck outta here.

:no:

this nig was 6'3 and well over 200lbs, get your facts straight NICCAA!

I'm drinking :spy: