• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

calf / lower leg training

J

jguruz

Hi again guys, this time i've got a question with regards to leg training, my calves are starting to develop and i can see size and shape, however, the area below the calves to the ankles (don't know what its referred to as) pretty much remains the same, im wondering if this is normal, or if there are any excercies specifically geared towards that area? It just seems kind of disproportionate.

My legs day routine is something like this:

3 x leg extensions
3 x hamstrings
3 x leg press
3 x hack squat
3 x calf extensions

Should anybody have any suggestions on an alternative leg workout, please do tell, i'm looking for size on my legs!

Many thanks.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You have your gastrocnemuis (your calf muscle), which developes that spiked look. Along the sides you have the soleus, which really isn't a strong developing muscle, nor are there any exercises that target this.

From your calf down is your achilles tendon, which is not a muscle.

Your leg workout needs work.

Fist off heighten your volume to 4-5 sets/exercise. Disclaimer, this depends on your personal needs.

Squats, whether it be front or full should be the meat and potatoes of your leg workout and should most likely always be performed first thing (I.e, no pre-exhaustion). I'd replace the hacksquat with SLDL's and alternate occasionally (every 3-6 wks) between front and regular squats.

Leg press is up to you. I don't think you need if you go heavy on squats, but others do so I'll leave that decision up to you.

Good luck bro, hope this helps.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hi again guys, this time i've got a question with regards to leg training, my calves are starting to develop and i can see size and shape, however, the area below the calves to the ankles (don't know what its referred to as) pretty much remains the same, im wondering if this is normal, or if there are any excercies specifically geared towards that area? It just seems kind of disproportionate.

My legs day routine is something like this:

3 x leg extensions
3 x hamstrings
3 x leg press
3 x hack squat
3 x calf extensions

Should anybody have any suggestions on an alternative leg workout, please do tell, i'm looking for size on my legs!

Many thanks.
Leg ext are terrible for the knee.
?? hamstrings ?? If you mean curls then you need to think of doing something else like SLDL.
Leg press is a poor third to squats and lunge variations.
Hack squats I'm not a fan of.

Need balance between pushing and pulling exercises for the leg.
Calves are made up of 8-9 muscles and work in all planes of motion. They do however all insert into the ankle and can have a long tendon arrangement (high calves). You can't really hypertrophy tendon the same way as muscle.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I would change up your leg training also...

Front squats or back squats (like KM said alternating every few weeks)
SLDL or Goodmornings (again you can alternate every few weeks)
Lunges
Standing calf raise

As for sets, i would raise the volume on the squats to 4-5 sets, 3-4 sets with everything else.

warpig

warpig

I saw in Victor Martinez's workout video he did 3 sets of 21's for calf raises. He targeted the inside outside and middle of the calf. IMO you get a great burn. You can do seated or standing