• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Make my lats poke out. HOW?

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have been trying to get my lats good but no matter what i do they dont seem to get any better. Any suggestions or routines that work. any comments would really help. thanks

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Chins and rows mate, lots of. Wide grip chins especially for width.

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

stop using your arms to pull, more back

P

Pain

VIP
Pullups,rows and deads. Keys to building a good back.

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
For the last few weeks ive been doing wide grip pull ups and CG pull ups.Never have i experienced kind of a lat sorenes that those give.Oh and it shows in my lats:xyxthumbs:

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
Like other people said, rows and chins. I would go with weighted chins rather than pull-ups imo because pull-ups tend to hit the upper areas of your lats whilst closer grip chins with an underhand grip puts more emphasis on the whole late area, from insertion to insertion. For rugged thickness, it has to be barbell rows and deadlifts. You can't possibly build a thick back without those two.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The single best piece of information I could provide, aside from the advice that has been given above, is developing that mind muscle connection with your lats. It is very difficult for people to get through the arms and into the back on "back" movements. Learn to use your hands as "hooks" on the bar and imagine pulling from your elbows and not your hands. You must also make sure your traps and rhomboids are developed in strength so you can have the proper scapular retraction while performing back exercises.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks guys that really hopefully help alot. if you have any more suggestions let me know.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how do you suggest using your back and not your arms? i try my hardest but i always seem to be using more of my arms and i cant figure out how to.

Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Make sure to "sqquuuueeezzzeeeee" when you are doing any back movement. Make sure to keep great form with any row or pulldown.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Tonyk212000

Tonyk212000

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
how do you suggest using your back and not your arms? i try my hardest but i always seem to be using more of my arms and i cant figure out how to.

Thinking about pulling with your elbows. If you do it this way you can feel it in your lats and not arms.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks alot man. i will try that next week when i do my back again. this weeks back i could feel it in my lats a little bit but not as much as i should.

curtisymoo

curtisymoo

thanks alot man. i will try that next week when i do my back again. this weeks back i could feel it in my lats a little bit but not as much as i should.

drop the weight a little till you got that connection down, imagine a full stretch on a pull down, then imagine your lats just contracting everything in and downwards towards the center (spine). on contraction remember to pull your shoulderblades together. hmm ..

that should definitley get your back working

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thanks alot. ive been struggling with this for a while and nothing i seem to do was working. i will try next week and let yall know how i did. thanks again.

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

my advice is: if your back isnt growing. fuck it. do arms or chest instead, mirror muscles mate. its not called "front" for no reason.

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
my advice is: if your back isnt growing. fuck it. do arms or chest instead, mirror muscles mate. its not called "front" for no reason.

Fuck me I hope you're taking the piss. If not then that it the dumbest thing I've read all week. :disgust:

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Fuck me I hope you're taking the piss. If not then that it the dumbest thing I've read all week. :disgust:
Guess who's troll account it is.:hyperguy:

On the lats thing; I agree that mind muscle is important but that comes as part of many things, non of which are really described here.

1) Full contraction from full ROM
2) controlled motion (slow it down if you need to actually feel it, but don't go slow once you've got it)
3) contract the lats when not under load
4) pullups and chinups are not about width to work the lats

For (1) you should actually be pulling the clavicle to the bar. You will straight away notice the difference as you are actually fulling contracting the lats not just the arms. You should also not be kipping to reach the bar, do less reps and more sets if need be. By the way I've seen SFA people actually do a pullup or chinup like this.

For (2) you should not be struggling to reach the bar with the chin. It should be a smooth motion from full extension to clavicle touching bar.

For (3) practice actually contracting the lats. I find that doing this while seated is the easiest to do. You should be able to isolate which side and how hard they are contracted. If you can't do this you will not effectively be able to target the lats ever (unless they are already dominant). Try a lat stretch to get the idea of what to contract.

For (4) width of grip makes SFA difference to recruiting the lats. The only EMG study that showed any difference measured a difference in lat pulldowns vs chinups, not really a comparison of any meaning.

jnutz19

jnutz19

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i might me the dumbass but what is taking the piss?

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
That guy certainly was taking the piss!