• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

fasting and training

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

its currently ramadon and that means fasting, from sunset to sunrise, my question is is there any way to make it work? maintain muscle mass any tips?/:wutyousay:

samsam

samsam

Just comsume your full nutritional intake in the few hours you actually can eat,
simple as that. I've seen great people accomplish great physiques using a method of only eating in a 3-5 hour window every 24 hours.

Side note:
"Sexual thoughts and activities during fasting hours are also forbidden"
That'd make me go nuts, I can't have a clear mind for 5 minutes.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Would drinking BCAA's in water violate the fast?

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

ye ive been try too eat as much as i can while am allowed, no sex for month too :crymeariver: but wut can you do
n noo drinking water during the fasting either

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is only the evening meal that you are allowed, yes?

The main thing is to switch off catabolism at this stage and make sure that you are doing as little to be catabolic as possible. Train just before the meal, make sure that the food is slower digesting (combine P/C/F and denser stuff like meat, complex carbs, fats will help with slowing gastric emptying too), and try to nap mid day if possible. If you are allowed a morning meal try to do the same.

Of course you are meant to be sacrificing, so why not use it as a chance to lean down.....

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
How long is this fast for?

If it's for a short period of time (1-1.5 wks) I wouldn't worry about it. If you can't drink water, lower your vitamin A (ex: sweet potatoes) intake when you're allowed to eat. It could cause your mouth to dry up.

At first the majority of what you drop, if you fast long enough to drop, would be glycogen and/or water. Which will definitely cause the appearance of looking smaller. Catabolism will occur, let's just hope you're not doing it long enough for anything significant to occur.

Also, agree with Tim.

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

am allowed to eat as much as i want between sunset to sunrise and i always seem to fall asleep during the day. it last for 29 to 30days, i was also thinkin its a good chance to see if i can get rid of some unwanted body fat in getting ready for summer.

i been eating 2 - 3 meals before i sleep and also waking up at 430-445 and having one more
i been tryin to get in my protein and carbs and water, but if i keep my water down would that help me to bring down my body fat??

wut meals do u reccomend??

Sonelag

Sonelag

Cutting down water won't make you lose the fat. Count your calories and go with 2 (or as many as you can) huge meals with some calorie deficient. I would go low-carb, because if you are in ketose your blood sugar will be pretty much the same all day, wether you eat often or not. I would put my money on lots of fat and protein.

Of course your glycogen will deplenish, but that will come back once you re-introduce carbs to your diet.

Beefcake

Beefcake

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm not Muslim, but in grade 9 and 10 I fasted during Ramadan for a bet. I held up all the rules that you must follow and won myself $100. Try and eat A LOT in the morning is all I can say. I had to wake up extra early just to eat and I ate like 1lb or more just in the morning. I lost prob 1lb every day during football because I wasn't eating or drinking, but swishing water around your mouth and spitting it out does help with cravings though. You can maintain muscle by working out the same as you have been, but it's just harder to work out. 45% of my school is muslim arabs and it's a catholic school, but almost all the rabs that work out asked me what I did.

It's plain and simple, eat like a pig when you can and you'll maintain weight and muscle.

Try working out at night or really early in the morning if you can manage it. You'll sleep better if you do and you can still eat whatever you want. :xyxthumbs:

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

I'm not Muslim, but in grade 9 and 10 I fasted during Ramadan for a bet. I held up all the rules that you must follow and won myself $100. Try and eat A LOT in the morning is all I can say. I had to wake up extra early just to eat and I ate like 1lb or more just in the morning. I lost prob 1lb every day during football because I wasn't eating or drinking, but swishing water around your mouth and spitting it out does help with cravings though. You can maintain muscle by working out the same as you have been, but it's just harder to work out. 45% of my school is muslim arabs and it's a catholic school, but almost all the rabs that work out asked me what I did.

It's plain and simple, eat like a pig when you can and you'll maintain weight and muscle.

Try working out at night or really early in the morning if you can manage it. You'll sleep better if you do and you can still eat whatever you want. :xyxthumbs:

thanks for that i guess there is noo real way around it just eat and train when you can

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
R

remnant

Banned
A daily fast from sunrise to sunset is quite short. I am working towards a 1 week fast and beyond. I have been reading a book called The Fasting Prayer and there is evidence of increased efficiency after long fasts.

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Trying to work out on a empty and growling stomach seems quite hard, because if your glycogen or blood sugar levels are low, you could feel very weak. If you have no energy to really make your exercise work in this fasting situation- then both your fat-burning and muscle building will suffer.