• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Sugar cravings

Mars_Invictus

Mars_Invictus

So finally getting back to training after a year of full on studying (and the poverty and poor diet that comes with it) I'm cutting my sugar intake majorly because it had skyrocketted. I seriously lived on coffee and coke all last year - plus acting school = major binge drinking. Now my body's got used to lifting again (didn't like it for the first few weeks) and I've shifted my diet back to a more healthy and helpful diet I'm starting to shed all the excess fat.

Only problem is, having cut the coke and chocolate and alcohol I've found myself finishing a full day of work and seriously craving sugar. To the point where I've succumbed a coupla times and polished off a whole packet of Starburst and stolen swigs of coke. Awful.

I'm thinking it's because my diet is now much better, but is still lacking any kind of consistency. Working two casual jobs with random hours means breakfast, lunch and dinner rarely happen in any routine fashion. So I get to certain points in the day where my body's just needing some kind of fuel, and naturally going for the quick fix it's used to.

Any advice on curbing these cravings?

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First, you need to form a diet that's accustomed to your current lifestyle. And this will entail preparing meals before hand or for the oncoming week. I would spur out nutritional advice but we need more info, so I would advise you make a separate thread about that.

Second, cravings most likely due to hypoglycemia when your BG levels are below sturdy or low. This can be improved by adding more meals involving a positive/steady blood glucose level throughout the entire day. We can discuss this later on in more detail if need be.

Peanut butter works well as a craving startler but that's the easy way out. You need a diet that will prevent this.

Good luck bud!

D

DriDDeRz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i got cravings last night, i went to see my sister in hospital with my mum, both of them were eating chocolate :49: damn them
but my only reason to why i got the cravings because im dieting for a show :keke:

Mars_Invictus

Mars_Invictus

Yeah and I live with two people who eat terribly. Makes it hard when they're eating meat pies and drinking lattes at midnight and offering me chocolate and beer. Harder when they sneer at my salads and tuna. :angrydude:

I hear you about preparing meals in advance and I'd love to do that. I find it easy to organise and pre-plan my gym time because I have my roster and can see a week in advance when I can fit the gym in. But eating is basically ad hoc. I make sure I've got good food available, but when I'm not at home that becomes hard. My diet has always been my major deficiency so I'm turning that truck around. You're right, I'm not looking for a quick fix but a long term solution that will help me achieve my goals.

I'll come back to this with a new thread and more specific info.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Great! If you keep blood glucose levels steardy you shouldn't have this problem anymore, so we'll get on top of that!

Mars_Invictus

Mars_Invictus

Aaaaaand I just went on a date, and my date was adamant that we have hot chocolate from this new chocolateria place in Sydney. I wanted to please them... :ughnoes: Willpower dammit!

Bhana

Bhana

IF she was hot, then its ok to go 4 it, aslong as u get something out of it. KMs got u covered

Mars_Invictus

Mars_Invictus

Heh... yeah he was kinda hot. Didn't get anything aside from lunch and hot chocolate though. Maybe next time.

I'm doing better at preparing food for each day. I'm almost at the end of a 12hour shift today so I brought along some boiled eggs, almonds, protein, tuna to eat throughout the day, and had fruit and yoghurt for lunch. Oats (with a bit of honey) for breakfast before leaving the house. Might have a basic chicken breast when I get home tonight. Long shift means I can't train today though which is a shit.

Being that prepared is quite a feat for me. :methman:

MI

Folk Artist

Folk Artist

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Drink some water to curb your cravings for sugar, because dehydration can cause these cravings. Avoid artificial sweeteners, and eat more protein and avoid certain stress as well.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In as much as our body craves sugar intake so much because it's something sweet, care should be taken not to give into it completely without control because it can be very addictive and harmful to one's health.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Kakashi2020

Kakashi2020

If you love sweets then sweet fruits like grapes, figs, lychees, watermelon, strawberries and mangoes are good and healthy alternatives to your sweet cravings. Honey is one of the best healthy replacement for sugar, also it taste better.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Your body may have been dependent on sugar for the energy so it is acting like that. Sometimes I also think that I am like that because I always have Coke when I eat a meal except when the food is a soup dish. It's like losing my appetite when there is no Coke beside the plate. What I did was to take it slow like if you drink soda 3 times in a day then cut it down to 2 and later to 1 until you drink only half a soda in a day. Try that trick. Good luck.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you love sweets then sweet fruits like grapes, figs, lychees, watermelon, strawberries and mangoes are good and healthy alternatives to your sweet cravings. Honey is one of the best healthy replacement for sugar, also it taste better.

Exactly! I completely agree with you on this about honey being the best source to make use of in getting sugar into one's body system without causing much implications.

Honey is good.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Exactly! I completely agree with you on this about honey being the best source to make use of in getting sugar into one's body system without causing much implications.

Honey is good.

I take a spoonful of honey every morning when I wake up - that's before I do anything even with brushing my teeth. After a few minutes nature would call me to the bathroom. I don't know why honey induces the discharge of waste matter but it works for me.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Honey is good.

I take a spoonful of honey every morning when I wake up - that's before I do anything even with brushing my teeth. After a few minutes nature would call me to the bathroom. I don't know why honey induces the discharge of waste matter but it works for me.

To be honest with you, when I was still a teenager, honey wasn't my favorite growing up. It was too sugary for me back then which was why I was never really into it until I grew older and learnt about its health benefits.

jolter604

jolter604

Tren lube gives girls ass mass
Sponsor
I am weak these days to sugar 3 years ago I could turn. My head to cheese cake or tres liche now I have to have it.

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I am weak these days to sugar 3 years ago I could turn. My head to cheese cake or tres liche now I have to have it.

I would like to advise you to seek medical attention when it's still early. You are already having signs, so it's better to take all the necessary precautions to ensure that it's not something very bad.

jolter604

jolter604

Tren lube gives girls ass mass
Sponsor

I would like to advise you to seek medical attention when it's still early. You are already having signs, so it's better to take all the necessary precautions to ensure that it's not something very bad.
This last year I have been eating sweet crap now I am going to drop those things.
America puts it in everything now. They want us doped up and fat

Heatman

Heatman

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

This last year I have been eating sweet crap now I am going to drop those things.
America puts it in everything now. They want us doped up and fat

Exactly! In as much as the foods or snacks made are filled with craps that makes you add weight but it's still in your hands to decide which and what you eat and when you want to eat them.

Food selection is the best way to handing this situation.

Alexandoy

Alexandoy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Food selection is the best way to handing this situation.

That's what the diabetologist said to my niece who is diabetic. It's just sad that she was given a long list of food items with the amount that she can eat like 2 pieces of strawberry. It is a matter of choice if you want to live longer - avoid sugary foods. But how can you avoid if you don't know which food has lots of sugar?