• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Barbell Rows

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

Cant get my back straight during BB rows. Any advice? What is the proper angle of bend for doing this? Pls. help, thanks

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Why can't you straighten your back?

G

Griffstrong

^When you say straighten i am guessing you are talking about posture? Having trouble actually bending over to do the row? Or?

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Lighten up the load.. :tiphat:

It is either that or a lack of strength and activation in your scapular retractors ie. lower traps and rhomboids. I know a little something that always helps my clients is to tell them "butt out, chest out" and that helps bring the spine to neutral. As far as the proper angle goes, you should be able to take a straight piece of pipe and place it on your back and have it touch your sacrum, scapula, and head. Explain a little more and we will see what we can help you with.

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
do one arm db rows.. this will help.. plus if you ask me your back does not need to be parallel to the ground to do a proper row.. actually it should be angled up slightly..

SerbMarko

SerbMarko

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i do a row similar to Dexter's position shown here..

wotw110_a-1.jpg

afgan-ali

afgan-ali

i used to have problem keeping my back straight aswell, a tip that helped me out alot was roll your shoulders back and keep them that way, soo makes ur chest stick out, also i reckon about 45 degrees or mayb a lil bit lower if you can but not much higher because in my case if i go any higher i feel alot more on traps, make sure you squeeze at top of movemnt hahah thats alot ill go now hope it helps but :linedrunk:

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
First, ifferent planes of motion places the workload on different target areas of the back. Being parallel, making the mind muscle connection on retracting the shoulder blades (1 of the traps main functions; a main target muscle as well) is emphasized when having a parallel torso to the ground. Increased angles can recruit the tere major/minor at certain points which will vary development.

If it's spinal/disk problems then you're going to need to change the exercise. You can build a showy back without barbell rows.

Take Creator's advise on form and posture and you're good to go.

Try yamagashi's or straight up dumbbell rows if need be.

Lighten up the load.. :tiphat:

Right-o! :coolguy: well said.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd advise that there are better exercises that you don't have to worry about this with.

Try prone rows or supported DB rows.

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

This is my problem, my posture. Got a curved back(not a hunchback) and had a hard time bending at a lower angle. Around 45 degrees, I can still manage.

Thanks guys for the advice...anything else?

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
if you have issues with your spine then i would recommend something a little less taxing. try supported rows.

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

That's good. That is why I'm trying to do things I cannot do and not just give up on it. Supported Rows? Any pics on how o do it?

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
Its a Hammer strength machine, its a seated row with a pad at your chest. Its a great exercise.

Thunder Jet

Thunder Jet

oh yeah...thanks Bro

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'd advise that there are better exercises that you don't have to worry about this with.

Try prone rows or supported DB rows.

For once I agree with Tim.. I hate BB Rows, but Incline DB Rows (chest against the pad) now that is a different story! You can change the angle and never use momentum to move the weight. I do also like T-Bar rows, which I know Tim is against but I like them.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ You always want to make a big deal about exercises that I don't like. The reality is that most rows place a large amount of shear force on the lower spine without the benefits of appropriate supporting musclature recruitment. Now this won't fuck your back if you do them once every now and then, but making them a staple of your routine year in year out is just asking for trouble. There are better back exercises, hell even deadlifts place relatively little shear force on the spine in comparison and would make a better substitute to BB rows.

Ask anyone who has trained hard for more than a handfull of years about low back pain and shoulder issues. Most get them. So while you think that it is no big deal because you are young, anyone with injury problems or planning to train for more than a couple of years should actually be a bit smarter about their training.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i do it just like serb said, than put some straps on and pull the weight with my lats and focus on the contraction.. your back will be on fire my friend :runinafire:

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ You always want to make a big deal about exercises that I don't like. The reality is that most rows place a large amount of shear force on the lower spine without the benefits of appropriate supporting musclature recruitment. Now this won't fuck your back if you do them once every now and then, but making them a staple of your routine year in year out is just asking for trouble. There are better back exercises, hell even deadlifts place relatively little shear force on the spine in comparison and would make a better substitute to BB rows.

Ask anyone who has trained hard for more than a handfull of years about low back pain and shoulder issues. Most get them. So while you think that it is no big deal because you are young, anyone with injury problems or planning to train for more than a couple of years should actually be a bit smarter about their training.

:eclipsee_gold_cup: That was the shit timmy!

Couldnt agree more

:xyxthumbs:

If you do want them as a staple go light, i mean lighter than what u think is light and focus totally on the contraction and doing the movement under your control. That way you still get some benefit out of the exercise but with the least amount of stress, if you think you have to do certain exercises all the time i mean.