• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

rate those shoulder rehab exercices

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i just want to know if i should trust in them, i want to follow any kind of rehab routine and i thought in that one, but i want to know if that would help me or will mess my shoulder up more

(weak rotator cuff)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TalkAdmin
TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If you have a weak rotator cuff then you probably need to focus more on back movements. When doing rows squeeze your scapula back and when doing pulldowns/chins squeeze your scapula down. Lay off regular benching for now and do board presses or floor presses and push-up plus. CKC upper extremity is also good for rotator cuff activation. Also, make sure your posture is upright, even when sitting down; don't let your thoracic spine get an excessive arch.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
roger that Wolf

also, the dumbell flies for shoulders seems to be the worst exercice for my shoulder, my rear delt area hurts

should i deff drop it, or lighten up the weight and ssssslowly increase it?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know this will sound somewhat contrite but; how do you know it is your rotorcuff that is weak? Usually shoulder pain has more to do with inflammation in this area rather than actual weakness. The weakness is usually (as Wolf alludes to) weakness in the posterior muscles relative to the anterior muscles.

As to the exercises; I didn't watch the video but most of the usual ones are decent, but the focus has to be on good balances of strength around the shoulder. Watch most people do a row and you will see very little contraction of the middle and lower traps and very little scapular (adduction?) retraction.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I know this will sound somewhat contrite but; how do you know it is your rotorcuff that is weak? Usually shoulder pain has more to do with inflammation in this area rather than actual weakness. The weakness is usually (as Wolf alludes to) weakness in the posterior muscles relative to the anterior muscles.

As to the exercises; I didn't watch the video but most of the usual ones are decent, but the focus has to be on good balances of strength around the shoulder. Watch most people do a row and you will see very little contraction of the middle and lower traps and very little scapular (adduction?) retraction.

Great post Tim and Wolf, and was going to say the same thing.

If you're in pain, then it is inflammation of (in most cases) the susprinatus, main rotator cuff muscle. Usually a strength imbalance that includes the rotator cuff will be a regress in shoulder strength, and any shoulder stabilizing/secondary function movements.

Inner and outer rotations will help improve the situation. Employ these. Believe it nor, RC strengthening will help avoid problems you run into as your progress in your career.

TJ

TJ

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
DM, I'd suggest to take a read at the Neanderthal No More Program from Mike Robertson and Eric Cressey. Just go to T-nation and type in "Neanderthal No More" in the search feature (the links in Mike's website aren't working for some reason). I believe it's part 4 that has the actual program but skim through all parts so you know what's happening and why and what will correct it.

Deathmaggot

Deathmaggot

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
sure, ill read that

tim and KM, i dont really know what is going on my shoulder, even before i started in bbding, i had issues with my left rear shoulder, the same electric sharp pain in the rear delt when i did some heavy external rotation or push against the wall, or raising any heavy weight in my hand laterally / have in mind that i didnt do any heavy exercice so my shoulder should have been FRESH and healthy at that time.. but no..

once i started bbding, my shoulder felt good, never felt paint but after some time and some weight increases, my shoulder probably got a tendinitis or so, because i started feeling dullness and tireness in chest exercices where i had never felt pain, even doing triceps pulldowns my shoulder was getting tired

then i rested 5 whole months going to P Therapy with no success, same dull old electric pain when i did a external rotation like a push against the wall, but the tendonitis and the tireness got healed

then i started some strenghtening exercices, but mostly like warming up movements prior light weightliftings, and it went ok, but after some time and some increases in the weight (i was still using middle weights, not heavy as months before), the shoulder started acting up again with the same electric sharp pain, specially when doing shoulders, if the last day i had done back

and... here i am, decided to left bbding aside, but dont rest this time, just go with rehab movements and see how it goes..

thanks for the tips again and wish me luck

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
The "cuban rotation" is the one I normaly do for my rotatorcuff..but I have my arms stationary all the time unlike that guy in the clip...then the moves were you do a "shrugging" movement is also good imo

Hypocrisy86

Hypocrisy86

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting, i've only been doing the retractions, didn't know well enough bout' those others... thanks