• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

New routine advice

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey there:tiphat:

I am interested in trying a new routine that doesnt split up the body parts in week....im looking for one that i do only compound movements in a session..i dont know how its called...kinda like what a 5x5 routine looks like!

Any help??

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Rippetoes starting strength routine...? Its almost identical to the 5x5 program but with some minor changes in volume and exercises.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey there:tiphat:

I am interested in trying a new routine that doesnt split up the body parts in week....im looking for one that i do only compound movements in a session..i dont know how its called...kinda like what a 5x5 routine looks like!

Any help??

H.I.T.

That is all!

Personally for myself. I have found H.I.T. to work the best. MWF split or even a four day split!

Monday: Chest and Bi's

Wednesday: Back and Tri's

Friday: Legs and Shoullders

It gives your body a day of rest and recovery after each workout. No draining on the CNS, that I feel happens with UB/LB. I also feel it is best to workout in the morning. Simply for the fact that you will be able to get in more meals after your workout.

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey bud.

The more complex the routine, generally the more neurologically fatigued you can become. So make sure you're caloric expenditure is set for your needs.

So, what are we looking at here:

What's your availability?
Personal favorites routine/bodypart wise?
Goals?

UB/LB splits are taxing. FB splits infrequently focus on each set of hypertrophy and H.I.T is of course personal opinion.

We can get geeky into this and make you a solid routine, or we can simplify and allow you to work with it. It's up to you.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Philo: from what i read it is a routine focused on strength and mass....but i cant overeat cuz i already have a high enough bf%....

tonyk: Is HIT possible while trying to lose weight?

Thanx for the great feedback fella's!!

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hey bud.

The more complex the routine, generally the more neurologically fatigued you can become. So make sure you're caloric expenditure is set for your needs.

So, what are we looking at here:

What's your availability?
Personal favorites routine/bodypart wise?
Goals?

UB/LB splits are taxing. FB splits infrequently focus on each set of hypertrophy and H.I.T is of course personal opinion.

We can get geeky into this and make you a solid routine, or we can simplify and allow you to work with it. It's up to you.

Well im just tired of splitting up my bodyparts like i do now( 1or 2 bodyparts a day)...i feel like after 3 days of hittin the muscle i want to train it again but i have to wait before i get through all the other bodyparts! im really gettin fed up with this and just want to do the real excersices that are really effective and want to do a split similar like 5x5 but with some more volume...also im not trying to bulk and im just trying to get my strength up while trying to stay the same weight or possibly lose some weight...:xyxthumbs:

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Philo: from what i read it is a routine focused on strength and mass....but i cant overeat cuz i already have a high enough bf%....

Its almost the same as 5x5 and mostly strength focussed. But for an athlete of your level why not try a regular 5x5 routine..?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Routine +ve and -ve

HIT: It's over quick, you can train a lot of muscle groups, you don't have to train every day. It is neurally draining, most people can't hack the "intensity", your form has to be perfect on every single rep (injury chances higher when pushing the boundries of failure).

Fullbody: Cover all the muscles, good for sports, good for big movements, increases hormone release, increased level of frequency. Usually end up being long sessions, mentally and physically draining, can play to your strengths rather than fixing weaknesses.

Upper/Lower: Balances leg vs upperbody, good frequency, increases hormone release, can train opposing movements (more efficient), allows time to be spent on weaknesses, is what Westside do (kinda). Tends to focus on only smaller number of exercises, can be mentally and physically draining, a lot of people can't hack leg workouts twice a week.

Push/Pull: ditto upper/lower but can be better for balance between muscle groups.

"Splits": great for targeting weak points, can provide good overload, usually more hypertrophy focus, can't be high frequency use cummulative fatigue (good and bad), can tend to focus on upperbody development, body isn't a series of body parts so exercise selection has a lot of overlap (which can lead to overtraining of some supporting muscles).

So none are perfect and it depends on what you are trying to achieve. I think the most versatile are the more frequent training types (U/L or PU/Pll) as they can be designed to give you strength, hypertrophy, both or built around sports. They also allow for greater hormone and frequency which will ultimately allow more growth long term.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Tims post

Fullbody: Cover all the muscles, good for sports, good for big movements, increases hormone release, increased level of frequency.

By reading it this popped into my mind.

J Appl Physiol. 2008 Oct 2. [Epub ahead of print]
Related Articles

Effect of Resistance Exercise on Muscle Steroidogenesis.

Vingren JL, Kraemer WJ, Hatfield DL, Anderson JM, Volek JS, Ratamess NA, Thomas GA, Ho JY, Fragala MS, Maresh CM.

University of Connecticut.

Circulating testosterone is elevated acutely following resistance exercise (RE) and is an important anabolic hormone for muscle adaptations to resistance training. The purpose of this study was to examine the acute effect of heavy RE on intracrine muscle testosterone production in young resistance trained men and women. 15 young highly resistance trained men (n=8; 21+/-1 years, 175.3+/-6.7 cm, 90.8+/-11.6 kg) and women (n=7; 24+/-5 years, 164.6+/-6.7 cm, 76.4+/-15.6 kg) completed 6 sets of 10 repetitions of Smith's machine squats with 80% of their 1-repetition maximum. Before RE, and 10 min and 70 min after RE, muscle biopsies were obtained from the vastus lateralis. Before RE, after 3 and 6 sets of squats, and 5, 15, 30 and 70 min into recovery from RE blood samples were obtained using venipuncture from an anticubital vein. Muscle samples were analyzed for testosterone, 17beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase (HSD) type 3, and 3beta-HSD type 1-2 content. Blood samples were analyzed for the glucose and lactate concentrations. No changes were found for muscle testosterone, 3beta-HSD1-2, and 17beta-HSD3 concentrations. However, a change in protein migration in the Bis-Tris gel was observed for 17beta-HSD3 post-exercise; this change in migration indicated ~2.8 kd increase in molecular weight. These findings indicate that species differences in muscle testosterone production may exist between rats and humans. In humans, muscle testosterone concentrations do not appear to be affected by RE. This study expands on the current knowledge obtained from animal studies by examining resting and post-exercise concentrations of muscle testosterone and steroidogenic enzymes in humans.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
If you wana base your workout around compound movements then do an Upper/lower or a full body. You could do legs/chest on one day and back on another... which ive currently been having success with.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
You can still train in HIT fashion whilst trying to lose weight.

I would recomend HIT and base your exercises around the compounds like you said yourself. How many days a week are you looking to train? If you want to train 3-4 times per week, then you might aswell split up the muscle groups into 3-4 workouts a week so you can devote your time and energy into stresing only those muscle groups. Your in the gym for a shorter duration and your able to give it all, go home, rest and then come back to the gym a day later or so fresh and strong and ready to go at it again.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
BGL:I think that i can go to the gym 4 times a day

Skeptic: when u do a ub/lb split....when do you do deads?

alex

alex

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

when u do a ub/lb split....when do you do deads?

an example:

monday lower body
tuesday upper body
wensday rest
thurday lower body
friday rest
saturday upper body(deads)
sunday rest

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP

:keke: I think you meant a week.

So you can still train compound movements but have 4 workouts a week.

For example,

Monday- DELTS, TRAPS, TRICEPS
Tuesday- LEGS
Wednesday- OFF
Thursday- CHEST, BICEPS
Friday- BACK, ABS

You can do your own choice of exercises which makes it effective and also time consuming for yourself. IMO I would stick to a split similar to this, geared around training 3-4 times per week and construct your exercises around with the basic compounds for each muscle group.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with Tims post

By reading it this popped into my mind.
Interesting, goes against some of Kramer's earlier work.

Have you got the whole article? Can you PM it to me?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Interesting, goes against some of Kramer's earlier work.

Have you got the whole article? Can you PM it to me?

Not really, because it measured intracrine muscle testosterone, not general testosterone released into the blood.... but, I will dig it up now, sounds like an interesting read, thanks Philo!

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was going to throw in my idea, but seems everyone's got you covered. Nice job guys.
PV if you need any help, just hit me with a PM.

R

Rageking

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Good stuff, ill have to take a look at those when i get a chance, thanks philo and IS

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Not really, because it measured intracrine muscle testosterone, not general testosterone released into the blood.... but, I will dig it up now, sounds like an interesting read, thanks Philo!
There's where my confusion comes from!
Thanks for the upload!