• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

peanut butter for cutting/dieting

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Would there be any positive effets of eating Pb during a cutting phase?

if so....what??

And doesnt PB have too many cals? for the cutting phase?

Kthanx bye

allstar

allstar

depends on the type of Peanut Butter, I try to get Natural/Organic and use it get in my healthy fats towards the end of the night and also to curb my sweet craving on a cut

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have a natural normal Peanut butter.

What are the benefits of eating pb while trying to lose some bf....cuz as u may know i am really trying to eat well and doing a variation of 5x5 routine....i wheigh around 116 kg right now and eat around 2600-2800 a day and train about 4-5 times a week....i see my stregth going up and i do feel like i am not gaining anmy bf and actually losing some...so i feel as if im going i the right direction....ur input would be appreciated :tiphat:

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well bro as you know, you absolutely need to include fats into any nutritional program. Peanut butter is a great way to get these fats. Its low in saturated fat, high in fiber, and it tastes great! I too would absolutely recommend the natural peanut butter. Make sure it doesnt have hydrogenated oils in it. Even if it says 0g trans fat, make sure it has no hydrogenated oils. These oils cannot be used by the body. Make sure that fats make up at least 20% of your overall caloric intake.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
PB is easy to over eat on.. Just supplement in Fish Oils..

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
@ youngmusclejock....normally i do that but i ran out....so until the 24th when i will have moeny to buy some fish oil caps i will have to use pb...thanx for ur input!

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would combine the two. There is no way you will get enough fat from supplementing fish oil alone. Just measure out the pb and you'll be good.

Daniel Andersson

Daniel Andersson

Mecca Mod (not)
VIP
Peanut butter is atleast for me the easiest way to get enough fats in my diet. Even though as others have said its easy to over use it for some reason :keke:

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Peanut butter is atleast for me the easiest way to get enough fats in my diet. Even though as others have said its easy to over use it for some reason :keke:

You should use no fats in your diet :no:

Jk, as said below Natty PB is a great and cheap way of getting in your dietary fat intake while avoiding Sat Fats. I would still use both fish oils and PB like Creator said as well. Just remember a lot goes a long way with PB, it is a very calorically dense food so a few tspns is all that is need at a time. :tiphat:

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I spread 30 grams of natural peanut butter on a slice wheat bread...thanx for the great feedback guys!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
personally i dieted with PB and still lost a ton of weight pretty damn fast (i lost 35 lbs in 9 weeks, dropped 5 lbs of water in the last week) the only thing i would have done differently is dieted longer, but i don't think the PB was detrimental at all

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Screw the PB I just eat peanuts.

allstar

allstar

almond butter is a better choice than peanut butter

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would combine the two. There is no way you will get enough fat from supplementing fish oil alone. Just measure out the pb and you'll be good.

Take enough of them and you will... :hyperguy:

allstar

allstar

If your gonna take a lot of fish oil, than I'd hope you check them for mercury content, you can also get them from Flax Seed, or cod liver oil,olive oil.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your gonna take a lot of fish oil, than I'd hope you check them for mercury content, you can also get them from Flax Seed, or cod liver oil,olive oil.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/498364

Fish Oil Supplements May Be Safer Than Eating Fish CME
News Author: Laurie Barclay, MD
CME Author: Désirée Lie, MD, MSEd
Disclosures

Release Date: January 28, 2005; Reviewed and Renewed: January 27, 2006; Valid for credit through January 27, 2007
Jan. 28, 2005 — Fish oil supplements may be safer than eating fish, at least from the standpoint of toxic impurities, according to the results of a study published in the January issue of the Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine.

"The consumption of fish high in omega-3 fatty acids is advocated by the American Heart Association to decrease the risk of coronary artery disease," write Stacy Foran Melanson, MD, PhD, from the Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, and colleagues. "However, fish contain environmental toxins such as mercury, polychlorinated biphenyls, and organochlorine [OC] pesticides, which may negate the beneficial cardiovascular effects of fish meals."

OC analysis of the contents of five commercial fish oil brands revealed that the levels of polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and OCs were all below the detectable limit.

"Fish oil supplements are more healthful than the consumption of fish high in organochlorines," the authors write. "Fish oils provide the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids without the risk of toxicity. In addition, fish oil supplements have been helpful in a variety of diseases, including bipolar disorder and depression."

The authors note that of the PCBs produced in the U.S. before 1976, 1.2 billion pounds entered rivers, lakes, and oceans, where they accumulate in bottom-feeding fish and become more concentrated higher up on the food chain (0.6-20 parts per million [ppm] in edible fish high in the food chain). In 1984, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) lowered the limit to 2.0 ppm for edible fish.

Similarly, OC pesticides entered the air, water, and soil when they were sprayed on crops and forests and concentrate more than 1,000-fold in fish and marine mammals. These pesticides, including DDT, were banned in 1973 because of their neurotoxic properties.

Although consumption of 200 to 400 g of oily fish each week has been recommended to protect against cardiovascular disease, regular fish intake presents potential problems, particularly in children and pregnant women.

The authors estimate that compared with fish oil supplementation, regular consumption of fish from the Great Lakes would expose humans to at least 70 times more PCBs and 120 times more OC pesticides.

"Our data concerning the levels of OCs suggest that fish oil supplements may be preferable to fish consumption as a dietary guideline for the general population and as a therapeutic source of omega-3 fatty acids in patients with cardiovascular disease and depression," the authors conclude.

The authors report no relevant financial interests.

Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2005;129:74-77

Clinical Context

Consumption of 200 to 400 g per day of fish high in omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids is advocated by the American Heart Association to decrease coronary heart disease risk, according to the authors. Other potential benefits of omega-3 fatty acids listed by the authors based on previous studies include mood stabilization in bipolar disorder, depression in pregnancy, and reduced inflammation in some autoimmune diseases, such as rheumatoid arthritis. However, certain fish contain high levels of toxins such as mercury, PCBs, OC pesticides, and related compounds that may negate the health advantages of fish meals. Recent concern has been raised about the levels of toxins in both wild and farm-raised fish. The U.S. FDA allows 0.10 to 3.0 ppm of PCBs in all foods, but in 1984 lowered the limit for fish to below 2.0 ppm. Consumption by children and pregnant women are of particular concern. The authors had previously shown that fish oil supplements contained negligible amounts of mercury and thus may be a safe substitute to fish for omega-3 fatty acid intake.

This is a review of the potential risks and benefits of fish and fish oil consumption, and a report on the concentration of PCB and OC found in five brands of fish oil supplements.

Study Highlights

Review of toxins
PCBs are colorless and odorless chemicals widely used in electrical equipment such as transformers before 1977. 1.2 billion pounds of PCBs in the U.S. ended up in rivers and oceans before 1977 and were concentrated from bottom fish to edible fish higher in the food chain.
OCs were used as pesticides and sprayed on crops and forests, entering the air, water, and soil. They were deposited in sediment and still taken up by small fish and organisms today due to their resistance to degradation.
Both PCBs and OCs are present in the environment. Humans have on average 1.4 parts per billion (ppb) of PCBs in their serum. Levels are higher in fatty tissue and breast milk.
PCBs and OCs are stable and nonflammable as industrial agents with half-lives as long as 5 years. OC pesticides concentrate 1,000-fold in fish and marine mammals. In the 1990s, DDT and its metabolites were detected in 94% of whole fish samples.
PCBs and related compounds accumulate in adipose tissue and are metabolized in the liver. Adverse effects include reproductive, dermatologic, developmental, endocrine, hepatic, and immunologic.
Acute exposure to OCs, the best known of which is DDT, can cause neurotoxicity including tremors, seizures, headaches, vomiting, and dizziness. Chronic exposure is associated with reproductive, neurologic, hepatic, and carcinogenic effects. DDT has been shown to be a human carcinogen.
Developmental defects and lower IQ are associated with in utero exposure to both classes of agents.
Cold water fish (eg, as measured in fish from the Great Lakes and the Baltic Sea) contain high levels of PCBs, OC pesticides, and mercury. PCB and OC levels increase with age of the fish.
Farm-raised salmon have significantly higher levels of PCB, fat, and cholesterol than wild salmon and can lead to higher PCB intake than the allowable level.
Mercury is found in equal concentrations in wild and farm-raised fish.
In one study, anchovy, mackerel, cod, and red mullet showed highest levels of PCB and OC content. Calamari, cob-fish, and mussels had intermediate levels and sole, cuttle, frog-fish, scampi, and hen clam had the lowest concentrations.
Small but detectable levels of PCBs and OCs have been found in fish oil supplements in European studies.
Studies of five fish oil supplements
5 over-the-counter (OTC) brands of fish oil capsules (Omega Brite, Kirkland, Natrol Sundown, and CVS) were punctured, and 5 mL of liquid content from each capsule sent in a citrate tube to National Medical Services for analysis.
PCB and OC levels were measured by gas chromatography with electron capture. Lower limits of detection were 400 ppb for PCB and 200 ppb for OC.
None of the 5 brands contained detectable amounts of PCBs or OCs.
Previously, the authors reported nonsignificant amounts (less than 12 µg/L) of mercury in 5 brands of fish oil: Omega Brite, Nordic Ultimate, Sundown, Kirkland, and CVS.
Pearls for Practice

Fish oil contains at least five times less PCB and 25 times less DDT than the FDA daily recommended limits and less OC than fish high in the food chain.
Consumption of fish oil supplements vs fish meals may confer the benefits of omega-3 fatty acids without the risks of toxins.

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
By the way Flax Oil, can increase estrogen.

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^ great info ymj !!! thanks bro :xyxthumbs:

allstar

allstar

I know that most fish oils are good to go, but depending on the brand, some dont get tested and aren't approved, so its just an easy little test to test the pills for safety. No big deal.

As for flax oil increasing estrogen...

Flax Oil and Estrogenic Compounds: Should Men Avoid Flax Oil?

Over the years I have read on several ‘net forums and other places, that flax oil contains estrogenic compounds and men should avoid flax oil. It’s often written as fact. Is it true? Let’s see…

For one, it’s actually a moot issue if you are talking about flax oil. The main flaxseed lignan is secoisolariciresinol diglucoside (SDG), which is found in the hull but which occurs in the oil in very small quantities. I don’t generally recommend large amounts of ground flax seed to men per se, but it’s also a far more complicated issue than people - in particular self proclaimed experts found on the ‘net - realize, and no simple flax lignan = estrogenic effects should be made.

The term “phyto estrogen” is not automatically a negative per se, as it may act as an anti estrogen depending on the tissue in question and other variables.

For example, flax lignans were found to reduce mammary carcinogenesis, which means it’s acting as an anti estrogen in those tissues. According to one review on the topic:

“phytoestrogens, like certain selective estrogen receptor modulators, have an antiproliferative effect on the breast, and positive effects on the lipoprotein profile and bone density. They might also improve some of the climacteric symptoms.” (1)

The bottom line here is, it’s WAY more complicated than you think. Should men run out and eat large amounts of ground flax seed in hopes of getting an anti estrogenic effect?

No, as large amounts of weak estrogens in the male system can still have a net negative effect depending on many physiological variables, but the effects, dose needed, etc, etc are far from clear at this time.

Should men worry about the tiny amounts of lignans found in flax oil? No. As mentioned in other places and articles, I have known and or trained some high level men using up to 7tbl spoons per day of flax oil, with no negative impact on them that I could see, and one mentioned a reduction in gyno, which he attributed to the addition of the flax oil, but of course that’s an n =1 observation and not objective science by any means.

Studies in animals, again, suggest interesting effects on hormone levels, at least in animals given large amounts of flaxseeds. (2). A study called “Dose, timing, and duration of flaxseed exposure affect reproductive indices and sex hormone levels in rats” done at the Department of Nutritional Sciences, University of Toronto, Ontario, Canada found

“In male rats, lifetime 10% flaxseed exposure raised serum testosterone and estradiol levels and produced higher relative sex organ weights and prostate cell proliferation. In contrast, lifetime exposure to 5% flaxseed reduced adult relative prostate weight and cell proliferation, suggesting potential protection against prostatic disease, although sex hormone levels were unaffected. In conclusion, flaxseed can potentially alter reproduction, depending on the dose and timing of exposure.”

So, at very high amounts for their entire life span, flax seeds increased both testosterone and estradiol and even at 5% of their diets for their entire life, no effects on hormones were found. Conclusion, people recommending men avoid flax oil “because it contains estrogens” don’t have a clue what they are talking about…

(1) Brzezinski A & Debi A, Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol, 85(1): 47, 1999)

(2) Tou JC, Chen J, Thompson LU.J Toxicol Environ Health A. 1999 Apr 23;56(Cool:555-70.