• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Trainings frequency

A

Achilles

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Could someone refresh my mind. Why is more frequent training like fullbody or upperbody lowerbody better than split training?

El Freako

El Freako

LIFT OR DIE
VIP
Because you train the muscles more frequently than you would with a 1 muscle a day split, allowing a greater load to be placed on the muscles.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ u would also focus on compound movemens which in return train a lot of stabalizing muscles and the core much better

Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i was wondering, is there any direct scientific evidence backing frequency based programs over split training?

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
because your hitting the muscles more frequently (training them more often)

Its (IMO) leaps and bounds better than the conventional bodybuilding split of one body part a week.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i would normally do the once a week split with little results....but now i do a variation of the 5x5 program and i love it!

Much better then split training!

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
H.I.T. is all I have to say.

Split:

Chest & Bi's

Back & Triceps

Legs & Shoulders

A day between each of them, then the weekend off.

Dorian Yates anyone?

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian Yates, 6X Mr Olympia

If you hit a nail bang on the head the first time and drive it straight into the wood,
whats the point of hitting the nail again?
You'll only damage the wood and destroy your own initial efforts.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Quote:

If you hit a nail bang on the head the first time and drive it straight into the wood,

Nothing scientific about that.

Frequency is good because you work your muscles again as soon as your muscles have recovered from the time before (typically 36-48 hours I believe). Training a body part once a week means there is a lot of down time where little to no hypertrophy is happening.

Frequency generally goes right along with full body or upper/lower esque routines, which allow for greater hormone release due to the entire body being worked versus just, say for example, the arms (small muscle groups).

youngmusclejock

youngmusclejock

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So you believe that the more you hit a muscle the more it will grow? Because it's only lifting that matters? Not recovery period or food, or other factors!

As for nothing is happening on off days, I strongly disagree.

When you work your chest you have other muscles that are involved (i.e. Shoulders, triceps) Same goes with all muscles. So your actually hitting each muscle at least twice a week or more. Once directly and two more times indirectly!

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Bulkboy

Bulkboy

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Nothing scientific about that.

Frequency is good because you work your muscles again as soon as your muscles have recovered from the time before (typically 36-48 hours I believe). Training a body part once a week means there is a lot of down time where little to no hypertrophy is happening.

Frequency generally goes right along with full body or upper/lower esque routines, which allow for greater hormone release due to the entire body being worked versus just, say for example, the arms (small muscle groups).

but do u have any direct evidence that frequency works better, or is this just ur assumption? as musclejock said alot of other factors come into play. also i think it varies alot, for some maybe frequency is the way to go, but i have had, and alot of others have had much success by utilizing split training. when i started training i was 63 kg skin and bone, im no 91 with not too much more bf than i had then, all natural training. i have never used a frequency based approach except one time, and i found it didnt work for me and i changed back.

after a brutal back workout for instance, my back is sore for 3-4 days afterwards, to me it makes sense to let it recuperate entirely. small musclegroups seem to recover faster though...

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
to counter Bulkboys post, from a personal stand point I've already recovered fast, so depending on the persons ability to recover that also plays a factor.

Gymnasts train day after day, eat quite a healthy diet, and look at their physiques.

Rowers are another examples (the guys that paddle the long boats in the Olympics) they're out there rowing every single day just about, ever seen the back of one of these guys?

I know Tim can throw out some more examples of athletes who train the same bodypart nearly every day and look remarkable.

I'll search for some evidence to back this (or oppose) a bit later.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
So you believe that the more you hit a muscle the more it will grow? Because it's only lifting that matters? Not recovery period or food, or other factors!

I don't recall ever saying that :uhoh2:

As for nothing is happening on off days, I strongly disagree.

When you work your chest you have other muscles that are involved (i.e. Shoulders, triceps) Same goes with all muscles. So your actually hitting each muscle at least twice a week or more. Once directly and two more times indirectly!

Then that supports frequency, no?

bulkboy said:
but do u have any direct evidence that frequency works better, or is this just ur assumption? as musclejock said alot of other factors come into play. also i think it varies alot, for some maybe frequency is the way to go, but i have had, and alot of others have had much success by utilizing split training. when i started training i was 63 kg skin and bone, im no 91 with not too much more bf than i had then, all natural training. i have never used a frequency based approach except one time, and i found it didnt work for me and i changed back.

after a brutal back workout for instance, my back is sore for 3-4 days afterwards, to me it makes sense to let it recuperate entirely. small musclegroups seem to recover faster though...

Tim, Ironslave, and a few others have posted the research before supporting frequency.

And as far as I'm aware, soreness does not indicate muscle growth or recovery.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Problem is there are too many variables to do a strict study. You need to control genetics, one's progression, nutrition, rest, and so forth. In truth, in my opinion, what matters is progressive overload. If you can work up to doing say 315 for a set of 12 on the bench press, you'll have a massive chest. Progressive overload is by far #1.

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Quote:

ROFL :49:

EPIC lack of reason. My son - you have been charmed by pseudo bodybuilding philosophy. Sounds like something Shawn Ray or the Barbarian Brothers could have come up with :wutyousay: Hitting a nail... lulz.

Science: Muscles recover from stimulus within 48-72 hours.
Reason: Why wait 7 days to train again when you're ready in 3?

T

Tunen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Problem is there are too many variables to do a strict study. You need to control genetics, one's progression, nutrition, rest, and so forth. In truth, in my opinion, what matters is progressive overload. If you can work up to doing say 315 for a set of 12 on the bench press, you'll have a massive chest. Progressive overload is by far #1.

agreed. Frequency makes sense as well logically though...

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
ROFL :49:

EPIC lack of reason. My son - you have been charmed by pseudo bodybuilding philosophy. Sounds like something Shawn Ray or the Barbarian Brothers could have come up with :wutyousay: Hitting a nail... lulz.

Science: Muscles recover from stimulus within 48-72 hours.
Reason: Why wait 7 days to train again when you're ready in 3?

its just a annology thats all geez...

It's not set in stone that muscles recover from stimulus within 48-72 hours, its different for different types of people (genetics) and other factors for example diet. I trained my legs on Tuesday and theres no way in the world that I could train them again on friday, that would just make me overtrained. My legs need at least 6-7 days recovery and thats the same for my back. for smaller muscle groups its different though.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It all depends on your own recovery speed and nutrition and supps( legal or illegal) etc etc...i feel that my small muscle groups recover in 3 days...but when i hir bakc or legs ahrd i cant train them for another 5 days at least...but its all about ur own physical actvities.

I think u should try each training style at least for 6-8 weeks to see what u like best and what feels best!

But i do agree with IS...progressive overload..is the key...it is impossible to increase your bench from 60kg to 140kg and not experience muscle growth!

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I honestly don't know how you guys are sore for so many days. I could go do 20 sets of just chest (but I wont, thats just dumb, I only do about 10 sets total per session) and the next day I'll barely have any sort of tenderness. This being sore for 4,5, 7 days, what in the world. My legs barely ever get tender the day after as well. I'm a bit confused.

Arcane1129

Arcane1129

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I honestly don't know how you guys are sore for so many days. I could go do 20 sets of just chest (but I wont, thats just dumb, I only do about 10 sets total per session) and the next day I'll barely have any sort of tenderness. This being sore for 4,5, 7 days, what in the world. My legs barely ever get tender the day after as well. I'm a bit confused.

Same. :wutyousay:

Plus once again, soreness =/= recovery or growth.

And you guys do realize that if you do something like full body 3x a week, you're not going to be doing 20 sets for chest or whatever....right?