• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Dumbell Pullovers

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Favourite chest exercise, even when i change up my chest routines i throw these in there evertime

PrizeFighteR

PrizeFighteR

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I also do them religiously. I like them for back more (Lats). I know what you're saying though, I can definitely focus more on the chest when I do them.

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
They mainly target the serratus anterior. I also notice this muscle especially prominent on Frank. It is a great stretch for the chest and back but I have to be honest, I dont do them very often except for a stretch.

hydro

hydro

i use them for back mainly, but because i train chest on the tues then back on the thurs i can feel the chest working somewhat, but i do them at the start of my back workout to really loosen up and stretch the lats and expand the rib cage

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i use them for back mainly, but because i train chest on the tues then back on the thurs i can feel the chest working somewhat, but i do them at the start of my back workout to really loosen up and stretch the lats and expand the rib cage

I'm sorry, but how do they expand the ribcage? santaroll

Essensen

Essensen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

They do not expand the ribcage in any way - that's a bodybuilding myth and a pretty presistent one of those!

I don't really see the idea in incoporating pullovers into a chest-wo since it's really a back-exercise.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thank u and im a true believer in them :xmasbigok:
Well I guess that facts don't matter then :xmashsughdunno:

I have no idea short of medical intervention of a way that bone can be reshaped and lengthened, especially when the growth plates have closed. Thickened, now there is a different story.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Well I guess that facts don't matter then :xmashsughdunno:

I have no idea short of medical intervention of a way that bone can be reshaped and lengthened, especially when the growth plates have closed. Thickened, now there is a different story.

guys this is one of those instances where tim's scientificy jargon speaks truth. the notion that you can expand your ribcage is about as stupid as saying creatine is a steroid.

epiphyseal plates closing = tough luck

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
thank u and im a true believer in them :xmasbigok:

You can believe in the exercise, but please lets be realistic here. Duality and I were joking about this in the gym on Saturday. You will not expand your ribcage with pull overs... Period, it is impossible. I hope this doesn't rock anyone's world.
As said by Creator, the mainly work your seratus anterior.
I do not do them because I work my seratus in a different way.

PinkRussel

PinkRussel

Banned
the guy in the video is a total pussy he trains with a yoga weights!
btw great back braaq!

PistolPete

PistolPete

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm really not sure about this exercise being able to expand the ribcage, but here's a short anecdote about my training last summer.

I used to do DB pullovers religiously with every back workout. I could feel the stretch really well in my lats. But it also felt like my ribcage was being pulled at, like an intense stretch. Which makes sense considering the serratus muscle is being worked so much in this exercise. Anyway, I was doing this exercise one back day, on my last set, one of my last reps, and I thought I pulled my shoulder out of its socket. It hurt like crazy for the next couple of weeks. So I went to the chiropractor, and she checked me out to see what the problem was. I didn't tell her much, I just told her my shoulder was really bothering me from lifting. After the examination she told me she had to put one of my ribs back in place. The shoulder injury was secondary infact, that only happened because my ribs were pulled on so hard from the exercise that it got out of place, and it shifted all the force to my shoulder.

So still, the idea that an exercise can change your skeletal configuration does seem far fetched, but my injury seems like the exercise was trying to do just that.

On another note, I don't do these anymore. hahah

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Used them in the past but never use them these days and I dont miss them at all.

Lionheart

Lionheart

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I include this exercise occasionally to my chest workouts.I find its good way to finnish the workout and to be honest my gym doesnt have big enough DBs so its only usefull in the end of my workout.About expanding the rib cage..i find it hard to believe.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Thanx to my fucked up shoulder i cant do them anymore, but i would love to do them but for lats and the serratus muscles

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
I used to do these and did like them. I would use them at the end of my chest workout. I felt it really hit my upper chest when i sqeezed at the top of the movement and also the serratus. I did feel a stretch in my rib cage, but a stretch was all it was, nothing more like it expanding or anything.

I have heard it isn't the bones that lengthen but the cartilage between the ribs can grow? Is that true?

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ i doubt it....the myth of expanding rib cages is more thanx to the position u develop when standing after doing some, chest goes high and it "feels"like the ribcage is extended, plus i think long term use of the exercise can change ur posture to where u walk more upright thus feeling like having a expanded rib cage

Big_Guns_Lance

Big_Guns_Lance

Eat, lift, sleep, repeat.
VIP
^^

Ive read in a weider book that when you do breathing squats supersetted with dumbbell pullovers it stretches your rib cage better. I smell BS.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I've read that the world is actually flat and that the world is only 6000 years old.

Just because someone says something doesn't change the fact that it isn't so.

PV: you could technically lengthen the ligaments in the intercostal region and thus the small muscles there. But the cartilage that cements all of that would hinder this and cartilage is very slow growing and would be deformed or tear first (disslocated rib, etc).