• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Koalas in danger of extinction as rising carbon levels poison eucalyptus trees :(

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
A government scientist has warned that climate change, and specifically the rising levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere, is pushing up toxins and lowering nutrients in eucalyptus leaves.

Dr Dan Lunney, of the New South Wales Department of Environment and Climate Change, said the trend would force koalas out of trees and on to the ground to search for food, putting them in danger.

"What currently may be good koala habitats will become very marginal habitats," he said. "This means koalas have to change trees more often to get to the leaves they need.

"As koalas change trees they have to walk across the ground, if they walk across the ground they are vulnerable to dogs and if there are roads in the middle they are vulnerable to cars as well."

Koalas are already listed as a vulnerable species. Among the biggest threats to their survival are land clearing, bushfires and drought.

But they are also notoriously fussy eaters. Of Australia's 700 different types of gum tree, they will only eat the leaves of 25. The large grey marsupials, known for their bear-like looks and passive nature, sleep for 20 hours each day because the leaves they eat provide them with so little energy.

Conservationists recently called on the federal environment minister to urgently declare south-east Queensland's koala population critically endangered after numbers fell from 25,000 to 4,000 in ten years.

Post-mortem examinations of around 700 koalas in the region found most were "wasted" – or starving – when they died.

Professor Ian Hume of Sydney University said he has been "waving the yellow flag" about the consequences of toxic eucalyptus leaves for years.

Healthy koalas produce one offspring a year, but those living in "sub-optimal habitats" may only produce one cub every three to four years, he told The Daily Telegraph.

"We know global climate change is happening and its going to challenge many different things some of them which will be so subtle we won't actually know about them until suddenly we realise – well that's right, there used to be koalas in that patch of forest and they aren't there any more," he said.

"We wouldn't see them lying dead on the road, we would see them declining in number because they are reproducing at a slower rate."

Prof Hume warned there is little time to reduce the effects of climate change on koalas.

"They are clinging to the edge any way, it won't take much of a change to push them over."

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
FUCK KOALAS

Ugly animals with no use. I hope they die soon *happy face*

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
I'm sorry to burst your bubble bro, but Koalas are pedophiles too. So there you go, they are evil fucking creatures. They should DIE.

But... But..... I hate you :tear:

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
But... But..... I hate you :tear:

CMOOOOOOON MAN

Did you know that Koalas are the main reason for 90% of all deaths ? THATS HOW FUCKING EVIL THEY ARE. DEATH TO THEM

Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Poor skippy, he wont have sex partners anymore...

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Don't know who is proposing that research, but it sounds like a crock of shit.

CO2 levels will be a problem, as will rising atmospheric temperatures; but not as yet in terms of differences in storage patterns of leaf material. I forget the exact threshold level at which plants start to be affected, but we aren't there yet.

It is much more likely that pollution or mineral erosion that is likely to be the cause of this, if it is at all.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Robcardu

Robcardu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^the important thing here is have you ever humped a koala?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Koalas, like all Australian animals, are fucking dangerous. You don't fuck with them at all!

We have the most number of venomous spiders and snakes in the world, all our cute and cuddly animals have claws that can rip you open, and some even have poison glands attached to their claws to kill you quicker.

Drop bears are the most dangerous though. Big, scary, strong and fast. Take man's head off in seconds.

Clint

Clint

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Drop bears are the most dangerous though. Big, scary, strong and fast. Take man's head off in seconds.

LOL!

I doubt any other person on this forum that's not Australian even gets this.

Bone Yard

Bone Yard

Mate drop bears are known to fuck you up real good..

i was walking home one time..i heard some rustling noise, then fucken bang! this drop bear launched itself at this innocent bystander. took his head off and arms off....and his mobile phone and wallet...and socks. then i thought to myself, probably was just an abo.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Seriously though, they drug koalas in the zoo so that they don't go nuts and tear a hole in you. Their claws are made for climbing hardwood trees and the males are notorious for getting pissed off and ripping people apart as they climb up them to attack their face.

The reason koalas look so cute and cuddly is that they are so sleepy and dopey from eating leaves. They aren't ruminants so they can't process the leaves properly so they end up a bit drugged half the day. It's the other half of the day you want to worry about.

Talking with friends yesterday they were saying the snakes in North Carolina are measured by how painfull the bite is. In Australia we measure our snakes by how long you have to live.