• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Help with questions

B

bummer

I'm looking to get into weight training and just have a few questions.

Little background first. I'm 5-10 165 but with about 20% bf. I've lifted before a little bit(bench,squat,etc), so I'm not 100% new to weight training. I've read up on articles and I think I'm going to do Mark Rippetoe's classic A/B workout because it seems to be highly recommended for beginners?

The question is how do I keep my weight up while dropping body fat and muscle as well?

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You wanna drop both muscle and body fat.... but keep your weight up... cause that's what is said in the last statement.

bummer said:
The question is how do I keep my weight up while dropping body fat and muscle as well?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Lol

At TS: If you are newish to hard training then just training regularly and cleaning up your diet will make huge differences to your lean mass. You will find though that you will have to lose weight generally. What you want to do is not worry about the overall mass, but the lean mass.

B

bummer

I meant build muscle while dropping body fat.

Skeptic

Skeptic

I am god.
VIP
It is extremely hard if not impossible to build muscle while losing fat.

Diet to lose the fat first, then concentrate on building the muscle :)

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
You can maintain your muscle while dropping the pounds, but you probably won't gain much.

But hey, this is the bonus of a cutting diet. The resulting effect of dieting is this illusory sense that you've gained muscle, all because of an increase in muscle definition and vascularity. I'm positive the results, if you diet properly, will deviate your focus on getting bigger to looking better.