• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Effects of Whey Isolate, Creatine, and Resistance Training on Muscle Hypertrophy

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Effects of Whey Isolate, Creatine, and Resistance Training on Muscle Hypertrophy
[BASIC SCIENCES: Original Investigations]

CRIBB, PAUL, WILLIAMS, ANDREW D.2; STATHIS, CHRIS G.1; CAREY, MICHAEL F.1; HAYES, ALAN1

ABSTRACT

Purpose: Studies that have attributed gains in lean body mass to dietary supplementation during resistance exercise (RE) training have not reported these changes alongside adaptations at the cellular and subcellular levels. Therefore, the purpose of this study was to examine the effects of two popular supplements-whey protein (WP) and creatine monohydrate (CrM) (both separately and in combination)-on body composition, muscle strength, fiber-specific hypertrophy (i.e., type I, IIa, IIx), and contractile protein accrual during RE training.

Methods: In a double-blind randomized protocol, resistance-trained males were matched for strength and placed into one of four groups: creatine/carbohydrate (CrCHO), creatine/whey protein (CrWP), WP only, or carbohydrate only (CHO) (1.5 g·kg-1 body weight per day). All assessments were completed the week before and after an 11-wk structured, supervised RE program. Assessments included strength (1RM, three exercises), body composition (DEXA), and vastus lateralis muscle biopsies for determination of muscle fiber type (I, IIa, IIx), cross-sectional area (CSA), contractile protein, and creatine (Cr) content.

Results: Supplementation with CrCHO, WP, and CrWP resulted in significantly greater (P < 0.05) 1RM strength improvements (three of three assessments) and muscle hypertrophy compared with CHO. Up to 76% of the strength improvements in the squat could be attributed to hypertrophy of muscle involved in this exercise. However, the hypertrophy responses within these groups varied at the three levels assessed (i.e., changes in lean mass, fiber-specific hypertrophy, and contractile protein content).

Conclusions:
Although WP and/or CrM seem to promote greater strength gains and muscle morphology during RE training, the hypertrophy responses within the groups varied. These differences in skeletal muscle morphology may have important implications for various populations and, therefore, warrant further investigation.

Thought this was interesting. Somewhat displays individualistic responsiveness through certain supplementation methods. Hope you guys enjoy!

Kev

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2007 Feb;39(2):298-307.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Hmmm they needed a larger sample size. To much variation within groups and between groups. One of the groups had a similar starting weight, less individuals and were on average 10cm taller. So this would throw out a lot of the comparisons.

Probably needs to be repeated with more people or less groups, or a better data distribution (compare individuals to a standard).

The_KM

The_KM

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree, bro. I also think they needed more subjects, because testing only a few amount of people can only conclude so much. Tim I'm still reading through your fructose article, and I need to think it through before I say anything about it - thought I'd tell you ;)