• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

questions for hockey fans...

FuManChu

FuManChu

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was just playing NHL 08 on 360...And im aussie(never seen a real hockey game):
Do they really stop the game for brawls??? Do the players remove their gloves to pound each other?
Why dont the players in real life, use signature moves from The Mighty Ducks(knucklepuck, fulcan's slapshot, etc)?

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Do they really stop the game for brawls???

Yes
Do the players remove their gloves to pound each other?

Yes... helmets too... though this is being discussed to be banned since a non-pro player recently died when he was in a fight and hit his head on the ise.

Why dont the players in real life, use signature moves from The Mighty Ducks(knucklepuck, fulcan's slapshot, etc)?

The same reason Michael Jordan never tried dunking a basketball from half court with his arm extended a hundred feet with like 5 ferocious creatures from another planet hanging off of him in the NBA, like he did in "Space Jam"... it's a movie.

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
they keep saying a fighting is a part of the game....they STOP the game so they can fight. non of the other professional leagues allow fighting, it does happen in other sports but its rare and sparked buy something during the course of the game that is delt with by being thrown out of the game and most likely a suspention....some of these players in hockey go up to eachother before a face off, ask eachother if they want to fight, the puck is dropped and immediately the play is blown dead because these idiot start fighting. it has no business in the game, its not going to go away because its been part of the game for to long and the nhl doesnt like change.....for me personally 1.NFL 2. NBA 3. MLB 4. College football 5. college basketball 6. Nascar 7. NHL....thats the order in which i like watching sports, and im CANADIAN!

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
they keep saying a fighting is a part of the game....they STOP the game so they can fight. non of the other professional leagues allow fighting, it does happen in other sports but its rare and sparked buy something during the course of the game that is delt with by being thrown out of the game and most likely a suspention....some of these players in hockey go up to eachother before a face off, ask eachother if they want to fight, the puck is dropped and immediately the play is blown dead because these idiot start fighting. it has no business in the game, its not going to go away because its been part of the game for to long and the nhl doesnt like change.....for me personally 1.NFL 2. NBA 3. MLB 4. College football 5. college basketball 6. Nascar 7. NHL....thats the order in which i like watching sports, and im CANADIAN!

MLB and nascar over hockey?? :umwtf:

Professional lacrosse also allows fighting as well.

The NHL doesn't like change? That's absurd. They added the shootout after the lockout season to spice up the game, got rid of 2 line passes, hell they're even thinking of increasing the size of the nets (which would be stupid). The crackdown on obstruction and stickwork in the post lockout era has to be among the biggest changes in the way rules are enforced in the history of any professional sport. Sorry, but to say the NHL doesn't like change is just wrong. I'd argue that the NHL has made more drastic changes over the last 10 years at least than any other major sport, and I would win that argument easily.

I think the fighting aspect of hockey comes down to a couple of things.

1) The speed of the game. Hockey is the fastest sport there is, period. You have guys flying around the ice at 30 MPH, and collisions are going to happen. That doesn't feel good, and people are going to get riled up.

2) Hockey is a physical game. Not saying other sports don't have a physical aspect, but think of sports like basketball (touch someone and play is blown dead), or even football (unnecessary roughness, roughing the kicker/passer, so on). In hockey, you have something such as being allowed to "finish your check", which means there is a brief leeway period in which if you are about to hit someone with the puck, and they move it, you can still hit them. When this happens, some guys are going to take offense to that.

Here's an example of this... a perfectly legal hit.

3) Sticks. Is it any coincidence that hockey and lacrosse are the sports that allow fighting? They are the sports where people have sticks and are allowed to hit each other with them. If someone hooks/slashes you, it's pretty easy to lose your temper. If there wasn't fighting, there would be a LOT dirtier play with sticks, more people would be getting slashed.

I dislike seeing "line brawls", but fighting definitely has a place in hockey.

Last edited by a moderator:
miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i hit one dude like that in trainings camp.. he was about 260lbs with 15 and i was at 200 and i crushed him.. he felt on the floor and didn't get up for a while.. but it was fun nobody liked him :49: i had some trouble for that later on with the coach they almost throw me out of trainings camp without refund (paid like a $1000 for it)

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i hit one dude like that in trainings camp.. he was about 260lbs with 15 and i was at 200 and i crushed him.. he felt on the floor and didn't get up for a while.. but it was fun nobody liked him :49: i had some trouble for that later on with the coach they almost throw me out of trainings camp without refund (paid like a $1000 for it)

yeah... that didn't happen. :talkhand:

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
that hit, on top of being legal, didn't even seem to have any malicious intent to it (not even factoring in the interview). there are tons of hits like that made in the NFL that just level guys. it's one of those momentum things. a guy is coming at you full throttle, you don't see him, and bam, you are so unexpectant of the hit it just floors you.

V

vdawg

play hockey if you want to lose your teeth and rearrange your facial features

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

Oh? Tell me, what was the name of the camp. What hockey camp would cost $1000? I legitimately played prep level hockey, junior A hockey, and nearly major junior hockey, so I will have heard of the camp.

No actual hockey player would say "he fell on the floor." It's the ice.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh? Tell me, what was the name of the camp. What hockey camp would cost $1000? I legitimately played prep level hockey, junior A hockey, and nearly major junior hockey, so I will have heard of the camp.

BOOM HEADSHOT !!!

I wonder if miami will respawn after such an overkill.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Bemidji FTW!!!

Maybe he was a goalie? 2 weeks of camp $1000

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Goalies don't hit people, lol... (except possibly Ron Hextal, but thats another story).

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ron Hextall was a bad ass on the ice.

in the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals; any Oiler player that approached the Flyers' net would receive welts on their legs from Hextall's stick.
After Chelios crumpled to the ice, Hextall continued to pummel him until the referees pulled the Flyer goalie off. For his actions, Hextall received a five-minute major and a match penalty, and was suspended for the first 12 games of the 1989-90 season.

V

vdawg

ive been to hockey oppurtunity camp in sundridge. it was pretty expensive back then

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

ooh excuse me mister super bad :thumbsup2: english is not my first language.. so that motherfucker fell on teh ice instead of the flo' .. daym

the camp name: Ice&Fun @ Eishalle Unna, Germany

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ooh excuse me mister super bad :thumbsup2: english is not my first language.. so that motherfucker fell on teh ice instead of the flo' .. daym

the camp name: Ice&Fun @ Eishalle Unna, Germany

1) You live in Virginia...

2) A google search returns nothing on this. Who ran the camp?

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ rofl has nothing to do with it absolutely nothing :49:

2. took me 2 seconds on google :49:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^ rofl has nothing to do with it absolutely nothing :49:

2. took me 2 seconds on google :49:

anyone who can read German want to give details on what the page says?

thedon

thedon

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
retracting statement...NHL did make a lot of changes post lockout...i still dont enjoy watching hockey over nascar and mlb...seriously its my personal preference i no alot of people think im retarded but its how i feel...one think i dont like about the shootout is the losing team still gets a point...they started shootouts so you could have a definitive winner of the game not ties (plus fun to watch keep fans in the stands)...if the losing team gets a point then all the games should be out of 3 points, you win you get 3 points...why is it that the second it goes into overtime the game is all of a sudden worth 3 points and if you when in regulation its 2 points...