• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

US Veteran furious American flag flying lower than Mexico's

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
I didn't know that was illegal.

To be fair, he was flying both flags, so I doubt the business owner is some Mexican Neo-Nazi American hating terrorist. lol. He should be able to fly whatever flags he wants on his own private property.

I hope that lunatic veteran is charged with trespassing, theft, and any other crime he committed.

I can't believe this is on the news and that people were really that worked up over it. Do they not have anything else to do or worry about?

P

Pain

VIP
Did he just happen to have his army knife on him or did he run home and get it? Either way, the old guy was in the wrong and he should be punished.

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

This one explains the legality of both sides.

I agree with his sentiment and patriotism, but I do not agree with taking the law into your own hands. If this was a regularly thing we would be in a state of anarchy.
It would upset me seeing a Mexican flag above an American flag on the same pole. I don't mind seeing them at the same height on two separate poles though. With the owner standing outside the front displaying like he is wanting a response then it is deserved.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with his sentiment and patriotism, but I do not agree with taking the law into your own hands. If this was a regularly thing we would be in a state of anarchy.
It would upset me seeing a Mexican flag above an American flag on the same pole. I don't mind seeing them at the same height on two separate poles though. With the owner standing outside the front displaying like he is wanting a response then it is deserved.

Patriotism for what?

Who cares, they're just pieces of fabric, and I'm sure as Tech said, he wasn't renouncing America hoping it burns in hell. He was standing outside because some lunatic was coming to his store with a knife, most likely, he wasn't looking for trouble.

you're way too patriotic, Braaq.

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
My neighbors dog barks loudly at night.

Do I.....

A.) Call the neighbor and politely ask him to let his dog inside?

B.) File a noise complaint with the police and let them handle it?

or

C.) Hop my neighbors fence, tackle the dog to the ground, put it in a choke hold, and duct tape its mouth shut?

If you are a true American Patriot, the correct answer is C.

America. FUCK YEAH!

Zigurd

Zigurd

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
AmericaFuckYeah-1.jpg

Braaq

Braaq

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Patriotism for what?

Who cares, they're just pieces of fabric, and I'm sure as Tech said, he wasn't renouncing America hoping it burns in hell. He was standing outside because some lunatic was coming to his store with a knife, most likely, he wasn't looking for trouble.

you're way too patriotic, Braaq.

Oh gaawwwd, I am not even going to start with this. He was a veteran and took offense for the lack of respect being shown for the country he fought for (in his eyes). Lets just put at at that is an opinion, I can say the same that you are overly pessimistic or unpatriotic and that is not any better. :talkhand:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Oh gaawwwd, I am not even going to start with this. He was a veteran and took offense for the lack of respect being shown for the country he fought for (in his eyes). Lets just put at at that is an opinion, I can say the same that you are overly pessimistic or unpatriotic and that is not any better. :talkhand:

Regardless of what he faught for... who cares? They're two pieces of fabric at different heights. Maybe the owner is more proud of his Mexican roots, or maybe it was just a pure coincidence. Regardless of how colluded the veteran's logic is, there is absolutely nothing to justify this behavior. I hope he faces full prosecution.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Regardless of what he faught for... who cares? They're two pieces of fabric at different heights. Maybe the owner is more proud of his Mexican roots, or maybe it was just a pure coincidence. Regardless of how colluded the veteran's logic is, there is absolutely nothing to justify this behavior. I hope he faces full prosecution.

Ever logical eh IS? Can't really fault you for that, does make it challenging to understand emotions sometimes. Destroying someone's property and breaking the law is generally not a good thing. And while i may not agree with his methods here I can understand his frustration and sentiments.

In Canada IS we do not carry the same affection and sense of duty and respect towards our flag. However that doesn't denigrate the symbol the American flag is. There are certain cultural rules we all expect each other to abide by. Domestic abuse is illegal in North America, but encouraged in some countries, when immigrants come here we expect them to treat their wives and families well. They may view that law as petty and inconsequential, but to us, equal treatment and freedom from fear of physical violence is one of the things our country aspires to. Jim has fought for that flag. That flag is a symbol of what he finds right about his country. In America it is customary and expected that you fly that flag at the top of the post. The American flag is steeped in tradition and sentiment. One cannot spit in the face of that much tradition and sentiment and not expect a reaction. The phrase "When in rome" applies here (though this is not an excuse for unlawful behavior). You are bound to get a reaction from people who have emotionally invested a great deal into that flag or any such symbol, like a cross for instance.

Just to sum up. I do not agree with his methods or actions. But I do understand his sentiments and where he is coming from.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
Interesting snippet I grabbed from Wiki:

The United States Flag Code establishes advisory rules for display and care of the flag of the United States. It is Section 1 of Title 4 of the United States Code (4 U.S.C. § 1 et seq). This is a U.S. federal law, but there is no penalty for failure to comply with it and it is not widely enforced — indeed, the U.S. Supreme Court has ruled that punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
In Canada IS we do not carry the same affection and sense of duty and respect towards our flag. However that doesn't denigrate the symbol the American flag is. There are certain cultural rules we all expect each other to abide by. Domestic abuse is illegal in North America, but encouraged in some countries, when immigrants come here we expect them to treat their wives and families well. They may view that law as petty and inconsequential, but to us, equal treatment and freedom from fear of physical violence is one of the things our country aspires to. Jim has fought for that flag. That flag is a symbol of what he finds right about his country. In America it is customary and expected that you fly that flag at the top of the post. The American flag is steeped in tradition and sentiment. One cannot spit in the face of that much tradition and sentiment and not expect a reaction. The phrase "When in rome" applies here (though this is not an excuse for unlawful behavior). You are bound to get a reaction from people who have emotionally invested a great deal into that flag or any such symbol, like a cross for instance.

Just to sum up. I do not agree with his methods or actions. But I do understand his sentiments and where he is coming from.

Those examples aren't really relevant though, becuase they involve hurting or infringing on the rights of others. This guy was flying a flag on his own private property. Maybe if he had something like an american flag up with graffiti on it, or something along the lines, I could understand being upset (still not to the point of doing what he did).... but not a slight difference in flag height, come on. He wasn't harming anyone, or saying "I hate America" or doing anything along those lines...

Americans need to get over themselves thinking they're better than everyone else, that's a reason why many people around the world hate them.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
they're just pieces of fabric
WRONG!
Then the swastika is just a cross with a couple extra lines in it.
Why are all those Jews so offended?
It's symbolic.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
WRONG!
Then the swastika is just a cross with a couple extra lines in it.
Why are all those Jews so offended?
It's symbolic.

The swastika represents a regime that indiscriminately killed hundreds of thousands, probably even millions of people in a brutal fashion simply because of their religion.

And the negative connotation of the Mexican flag is?...

It is symbolic though, you are right about that, this guy thinks America is better than Mexico, and the rest of the world, (which is certainly his right to think so). However, his arrogance about it led him to break a law, instead of respecting the expression and rights of another person. Again, this kind of attitude is so indicative of why the rest of the world hates America, its narcassism.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
this guy thinks America is better than Mexico, and the rest of the world, (which is certainly his right to think so). However, his arrogance about it led him to break a law, instead of respecting the expression and rights of another person. Again, this kind of attitude is so indicative of why the rest of the world hates America, its narcassism.

Agreed.
I just wanted to point out that it's more than a peice of cloth.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The swastika represents a regime that indiscriminately killed hundreds of thousands, probably even millions of people in a brutal fashion simply because of their religion.

And the negative connotation of the Mexican flag is?...

It is symbolic though, you are right about that, this guy thinks America is better than Mexico, and the rest of the world, (which is certainly his right to think so). However, his arrogance about it led him to break a law, instead of respecting the expression and rights of another person. Again, this kind of attitude is so indicative of why the rest of the world hates America, its narcassism.

The flag definitely stands for the American dream, it represents hope, what our founders believed in. It is our countries nature to take that risk and make things work because that is exactly how our country was founded by taking a risk fighting a war and winning freedom from Great Britain( colonies) In all reality the revolution occurred b/c the poor folks were tired of being poor, and the rich folks were finally restricted enough economically by law to do something about it.

With that said, i do agree that he should follow the laws of this country as a citizen of this country.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The flag definitely stands for the American dream, it represents hope, what our founders believed in. It is our countries nature to take that risk and make things work because that is exactly how our country was founded by taking a risk fighting a war and winning freedom from Great Britain( colonies) In all reality the revolution occurred b/c the poor folks were tired of being poor, and the rich folks were finally restricted enough economically by law to do something about it.

With that said, i do agree that he should follow the laws of this country as a citizen of this country.

yes... and did the store owner do anything to tarnish the American flag? No...

Come on guys... if someone was walking down the street and saw this, they should react with a "meh, whatever" and keep walking.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The Vet was in the wrong, say if a man was ...french... nah fuck that say yea from mexico natrual born mexican citizen and U.S. citizen through process it would be respectful for him to give top homage to his place of birth no matter where he lives.

And the fact he put the american flag below it means nothing, He gave both flags due respect. Now if this was in mexico and the american flag was above the mexican flag oh god forbid they take it down this our "patriotic" and ignorant asses and yes I said it americans in general are ignorant people that's a fucking fact.
We have people in the coutry who can swear Ben Franklin is was a president.

anywho now if a Mexcian in mexico took down the American flag that was above a mexican flagg we would go ape shit because it looks like it's anti-american omgooses! they must be terroist etc etc Americans needs to get off thier fucking high horses.

P.S. I'm an American.

R

Ryeland

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He wasn't harming anyone, or saying "I hate America" or doing anything along those lines...

Americans need to get over themselves thinking they're better than everyone else, that's a reason why many people around the world hate them.

Agreed he wasn't physically harming anyone or outright saying "I hate America" but to this man he was essentially saying that. Like I said i don't agree with what he did, but I can understand where his motivations come from.

The reason I gave the example of domestic abuse is because its something that we feel very strongly about. It is disgusting and grounds for getting a beatdown in North America. In the middle east the same rules don't exist. They view it as minor. Its the same case as their women having to be covered up. If north american women walk around the streets there without the proper coverings they can be prone to physical violence. Is this right? Hell no, but if you don't want a violent reaction you should follow the tradition. "When in Rome"

The reason i bring this up is that America is not the only place with traditions that are not to be crossed like this. That store owner was assaulting that veterans beliefs. Were they both wrong, yes. Should the veteran be punished? Yes, he should at least pay for what he destroyed.

You cannot go to a place, and challenge their traditions and beliefs and not expect an adverse reaction.

That said you are right as is Samoan, america does need to take a chill pill on claiming their way is the best and only way. They do need to get off their high horse.

Samoan-Z

Samoan-Z

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I agree with you Ryeland till the traditions part.. America.. is cultureless we don't have a set tone in culture is fact we are the only nation where the persuit of happiness is given in writing.

I can burn the american flag in my front yard and be within my rights so why should he be forced to fly the American flag higher or the same level as the Mexican flag it's his choice. That is the basis on whihc this country is built on the freedom of speech and expression.