• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

I could use some advice from people with experience

T

tmm510

Hello all,
Im 19yrs old and am pretty new to lifting. I am pretty lean at about 148lbs and only 5ft 7in. I have been lifting for about a year now and have seen great strength gains and overall fitness. However, I am looking to gain muscle mass now. I was wondering if anyone had some training routines that focus on gaining mass that you would be willing to share. I also have been on a new diet for the past 2 wks which is 305g protien and high carbs. Besides for spending most of the day in the bathroom it seems to be helping a little bit. I could really use some advice and have been reading through the threads by other users and it seems like quality stuff.
-Tmm510

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
well what boosted me with mass was HIT training program Dorian style!

you can see my routine type by cliking in the link for my log that's in my signature.

I also recommend to you Big Guns Log for HIT example.

philosopher

philosopher

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Imo you would be better of with starting a FB routine something like rippetoe's, HST or 5x5

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
get a split established where you directly hit one bodypart a day. you can combine smaller bodyparts with those if you like. train 4-5 days a week. a good one is:

mon- back
tues- chest
wed- off
thurs- legs (quads, hamstrings)
fri- off
sat- arms, delts
sun- off

throw in calves and traps where ever you please. if you want you can break up arms and delts.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Just train hard and eat enough kcals, u say 305grams of protein and tons of carbs, but no good fats? get a mass gaining diet first then worry about mass training, heavy and consistent training will pack mass

Check out the great threads in the nutrition section for more help

Storm

Storm

Strongripology priest
VIP
AS you've already noticed with the first three replies there are a huge amount of diferent aproaches to "mass gaining" workouts. Read the threads on this section to get an idea of the principles they all are (or should) based upon and pick one wich fits your liking and your schedule (school/work...). Some basic tips are: compound exercises, progressive overload, frecuency...

And of course you should have a look at the diet and nutrition section too as PV suggested.

Good luck

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I disagree with all the ideas for programs here. (agree with PV and Storm)

Pretty new to lifting? Then spend some time learning to squat, deadlift, chinups, dips and bench. I mean really learn. The better your form on these from the get go the better you will be at gaining mass long term. It will also sort out what will hold you back so that you can figure out what needs to be addressed in any program.

Now as for an actual program - well that depends on how much time you have, what your work capacity is and how well you recover from things.

If you have the work capacity and recovery of a stunted knat and like to beat yourself to sleep at nights then HIT is the go.

If you have the work capacity of a asthmatic fat-man but recover ok, then body part splits are the go.

If you fancy yourself as an athlete even though the closest you've gotten to athletic is watching sport on tv, then fullbody may be the go.

If you want some volume, some fitness, some actual ability to do something other than lift weights, then upper/lower or push/pull/legs may be the go.

The reality is that most programs are flawed in some way, they can all work for mass but the real key is progression and frequency of training. Progress by adding weight to the bar, improving your form (depth/ROM, stability, correct recruitment, etc), greater time under tension, more volume, more power, etc. Frequency is stimulating muscles regularly, as you are recovered (or should be) in roughly 36hrs.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Originally posted by Tim290280
If you have the work capacity and recovery of a stunted knat and like to beat yourself to sleep at nights then HIT is the go.

If you have the work capacity of a asthmatic fat-man but recover ok, then body part splits are the go.

If you fancy yourself as an athlete even though the closest you've gotten to athletic is watching sport on tv, then fullbody may be the go.

:rofl3:

translation: all your ways suck, my way is best

may i add that the rest of your post was excellent. this however, was a fail.

T

tmm510

wow... there are a ton of different ideas out there. Time is not really an issue for me, being a college student with a wieght room just downstairs and a good deal of downtime on my hands. However, if I go with a HIT program is there any variation to focus on upperbody more? And is it really only necissary to work one muscle once a week?

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
wow... there are a ton of different ideas out there. Time is not really an issue for me, being a college student with a wieght room just downstairs and a good deal of downtime on my hands. However, if I go with a HIT program is there any variation to focus on upperbody more? And is it really only necissary to work one muscle once a week?

well you will hit muscles in the upper body more often (you only need one day for quads and hamstrings) but that doesn't mean your focusing on your upper body more persay. you should give just as much effort to your legs, if not more, when training them.

i've found that if you hit one bodypart once a week, biceps for example, you don't need to hit it again as it gets some indirect work as well from your back training. if you focus and train with a lot of intensity one day a week per bodypart should be all you need.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
T

tmm510

ok, ill give that a try and keep posting of how it goes. Does anyone know of solid workout logs for HIT programs that I can start to create my own off of?

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

translation: all your ways suck, my way is best

may i add that the rest of your post was excellent. this however, was a fail.

Check my log. I'm currently 4xFullbody a week.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
ok, ill give that a try and keep posting of how it goes. Does anyone know of solid workout logs for HIT programs that I can start to create my own off of?

HIT sucks ballz. Dreamed up by a documentary maker, epitomised by a drug addict and with a total of one decent BBer in its ranks.

I wasted years on HIT styles. At least try an upper/lower split.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
:49:

then why would you say that? you just dissed yourself? :omgwtf:

Because I fancy myself as an athlete, but of course I'm not really an athlete at all.

I can take myself with a grain of salt. I don't have to pimp myself on the internets to impress people. :borat:

T

tmm510

so no go on the HIT? The bright side is that everyone agrees on a common plan... lol.

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ There is a lot of mythology and opinions in BBing with little objective information to back it up.

Most programs will work, but you have to look at how well they offer the chance to progress and train regularly.

So big exercises, learn them, then worry about what program. If you can train most days of the week then a split may be a good begining place to start. Work on one big exercise a day to get right. So squat, bench, deadlift, chinup, lunge, and add in other stuff at the end of the sessions like arms, calves, shoulders and abs.

skindnef

skindnef

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

tmm510, What have you been doing till now? My advice would be check the logs & incorperate things into your own routine. Push yourself & you will grow.

T

tmm510

as of now i have been doing a 4x/wk cycle of Mon. (Back and Triceps) Tues. (Chest, Bicepts)
wed. Off. Thursday(Legs) Friday(Core training like medicine ball stuff and planks)

tim290280

tim290280

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Have you learnt to squat properly (at least parallel, weight though the heels, no forward leaning, neutral spine, etc)?

How about deadlift?

Asking a gym goer about bench is like asking an eskimo about ice.