Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post
    Oh good thread.

When it comes to Stephen King I agree with you guys. The Dark Tower series is amazing (Its like LOTR on a bad acid trip [Imean that as a total compliment]), and I enjoyed all the books that were touched on in that series(Salem's Lot, The Stand... etc), but some other stuff I didn't make it through the first 1/4.
    I'm going to have to take a look at The Dark Tower series, although as much as I liked LOTR it wasn't fantastic, so I'm always wary of parallels being drawn to that.

Quote Quote
    Right now I'm in the middle of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan. I read the first 4 books when I was younger and never finished. I've set out to finish the series now that the final books are being published soon. He tells a really good story, but his books can get bogged down and convoluted with a TON of minute detail. And he can get fairly repetitve with how characters deal with certain situations. But it is quite an epic tail that spans over 12+ books. My mind is set, I am going to finish it. It's only 600 pages per book...
    The author of the Mistborn series is finishing the Wheel of Time series. I stumbled across a reference to Mistborn and read a bit about both series due to Brandon Sanderson being involed in both. Both appear to be overly convoluted fantasy fiction, is this fair? I don't like epic for epic sake, it has to be a character arc and essentially life's journey that you are seeing parts of at a time. It is probably what makes Harry Potter work, you see a year of his life at a time. Each can build on the previous year, but remains a distinct story within a series, even though the overriding story is ever present.

Quote Quote
    I've read some Dan Brown, and I must admit that I hated his books. It was a rollercoaster ride the whole time, but the ends are SO BAD. It's like one of those stories where the protagonist wakes up and the whole thing was just a bad nightmare and everything is okay now. Ugh, I wish I could un-read Digital Fortress and Angels and Demons.
    Dan Brown is the single most overrated writer in history. I'm going to pen my second book targeting some coverup by the Catholic, Judaism and Muslim churches, then ride the wave of controversy to record sales.

Don't get me wrong, The Da Vinci Code was a good read and well told, but no better than any other "airport novel". Koontz, King, Ludlum, Patterson, Clancy; all just as good.

Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I fucking hated the book Angels and Demons... I did however enjoy the movie.

She really looks like someone set her face on fire and put it out with a bike chain.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    I'm going to have to take a look at The Dark Tower series, although as much as I liked LOTR it wasn't fantastic, so I'm always wary of parallels being drawn to that.
    Well, I only compare it to that because critics have said it. I think it's just meant to portray the size of the world King has created. Tolkein created Middle Earth, King created his own world, but just as big. There aren't any elves or orcs or stuff like that. There are demonic monorails, disease infested nuclear holocaust survivors, killer robots with lightsabers, brain eating psychics, and that's only the tip of the iceberg. Picture Clint Eastwood in a fantasy horror science fiction movie.

Quote Quote
    The author of the Mistborn series is finishing the Wheel of Time series. I stumbled across a reference to Mistborn and read a bit about both series due to Brandon Sanderson being involed in both. Both appear to be overly convoluted fantasy fiction, is this fair? I don't like epic for epic sake, it has to be a character arc and essentially life's journey that you are seeing parts of at a time. It is probably what makes Harry Potter work, you see a year of his life at a time. Each can build on the previous year, but remains a distinct story within a series, even though the overriding story is ever present.
    Yes all the above is true. Robert Jordan had a stroke around book 7, and then passed away after book 11. The final book will be broken up into 3 parts (essentially being books 12, 13 and 14) and is being put together by Brandon Sanderson. I don't know about Mistborn, but the WoT is convoluted only in the way of detail imo. If the characters step into a room, you will be reading a description of exactly what the room looks like down to the rugs, and how the character feels about it. Most of the character arcs are good, but each has their own problems. I can't say I've enjoyed every part of the series so far, but every book has it's problems.

And with regards to I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell... Hilarious. It's man fiction. There is a lot of dispute as to whether or not Tucker actually did all this stuff himself, as he claims, or whether it is all made up. Regardless, every single one of his stories is hilarious, and I highly suggest reading it.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

^^ Just looked up I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell, they have just released a movie about it, few clips on YouTube. Looks kinda funny.

I'm going to have a read of some of his stories on http://www.tuckermax.com/

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

HAHA I read that book... fucking hilarious!

I havn't been successful with my attempts at downloading the movie... if anyone finds a decent torrent... please let me know

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptic View Post
    agreed. i read like 80 pages and then quit. previously i had read "deception point" and "digital fortress". i enjoyed deception point, but started noticing that the theme and language was very repetitive during digital fortress. but i still gave angels and demons a try, but no way i could get through more of that.

right now im reading a new book by paul auster. "man in the dark". quite interesting.

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the Pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate;
    I am the captain of my soul.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

For those who don't know what to read next, I refer you to one of my favorite websites.

http://artofmanliness.com/books-for-men/

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Cork View Post
    For those who don't know what to read next, I refer you to one of my favorite websites.

http://artofmanliness.com/books-for-men/
    Looking at those lists I seem to have read a lot of them. Especially some of the classics, which I read when I was quite young.

I was afraid that it was going to be one of those "bro" lists. You know the men that do nothing but talk about their own personal gratification as though it is really cool or similar to that Tucker Max style of writing (which is ok, but isn't really manly).

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Hi Dud !

I agree with you. I also hated Angels and Demons but the movie was quite good.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Looking at those lists I seem to have read a lot of them. Especially some of the classics, which I read when I was quite young.

I was afraid that it was going to be one of those "bro" lists. You know the men that do nothing but talk about their own personal gratification as though it is really cool or similar to that Tucker Max style of writing (which is ok, but isn't really manly).
    The Art of Manliness is the manliest website you will ever see. Not bro related. Very old school man-type.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I just finished the Ender's Shadow series by Orson Scott Card. I loved Ender's game, and these are decent.

Sci-Fi, the military, aliens, and politics. If you liked Starship Troopers (the book, NOT the movie) you'll dig Card's novels.

slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Do this. Possibly the greatest book series I've ever read. Stephen King is the master of making the mundane amazing. And wait til you meet Oy.

I'm trying to think of the greatest book I have ever read and one keeps on springing to mind:
    The Official Book Thread

If you have not read this and you have even the slightest interest in sci-fi, then you suck. In fact lets just say that anybody who has not read this sucks.

Others of note:
    1/
    The Official Book Thread

2/ Sarah Douglass's Wayfarer Redemption series: a 6 book page epic fantasy page turner.

3/ Nearly anything by this man:
    The Official Book Thread
    Terry Pratchett

:gaysign:

My log - read it f*ckers!

My lifting vids

There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy.
    -Mark Rippetoe

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Just checked the first page and realised I've repeated myself somewhat.

Ok just an idea to discuss in here; what/who are the books/writers that/who you have started to read only to put the book down out of apathy or disgust?

The Dune Novels - in fairness the films were far worse.
    I have lost all respect for you.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I've just started reading The Power of One.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

But 1 is the loneliest number...:crymeariver:

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

A good read, follow it up with Tandi

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I'm only through the first 20 or so... its a bit weird so far though haha

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Finished a few books while cruising:

Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Very interesting and humourous, but the ending was ambiguous and non-descript. Great use of alliteration throughout. Completely different from the TV series.

....And Another Thing
    This was a bit of a let down, but still a fun read. I feel let down in that I remember the series of the Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe being very irreverant and slacker humour. This used a lot more "guide notes" or misdirection humour that actually detracted from the story more than it should have. I still enjoyed it though and especially loved the use of Thor and religion, which was another nice link back to Restaurant at the End of the Universe and the Dirk Gentley novels.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
    Different from what I expected, having seen the movie already. This book is definitely the bridge between childrens and young adult reading. Also noticably more concise and tightly written than the later three novels. Enjoyed thoroughly.

Have a few I want to read:
    The Time Travellers Wife and Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
    Just saw the movie with Eric Bana and Rachael McAdams (the second film I have seen of hers and been thoroughly impressed with her) and am looking forward to reading both.

The Story of Danny Dunn - Bryce Courteney
    My wife has just finished this and enjoyed it. It was my Xmas pressie.

Dead Until Dark and Living Dead in Dallas
    We have 4-5 of this series, I'll read these two and then see if I want to read anymore. Will also coincide with the TV series nicely.

We also bought a pile of books at the airport but I can't remember them all.

Also just a quick point. There was an entire section of Teen/Tween vampire books on the shelves in the book stores we went into. Fucking Lame. It isn't just Twilight, but all sorts of similar genre stories. I remember when Anne Rice books were hard to come by!!

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Similar Bodybuilding Threads

1. Official sex thread
    By Zigurd in forum Off-Topic Discussion