Hi, is this your first visit to MuscleMecca?
Register
  • The Facebook Platform
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    I havn't read the books, I am very interested though.

Currently reading The Testament by John Grisham. Closing in on the end, and so far its been an easy enjoyable read.

She really looks like someone set her face on fire and put it out with a bike chain.

•   bodybuilding Post Icon
      MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Bodybuilding,
      Diet, Nutrition and Fitness,
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Muscle Building Community

Support MuscleMecca Bodybuilding Forums and Visit Our Muscle Sponsors

Ilium, by Dan Simmons.

Won the Hugo Award, btw. Good shit. Any book where the protagonist states "fuck the Muse" in the first chapter has my vote.

Plus, where also can you read about a hyped up Diomedes try and take down 2 Greek gods in one day?

slept with faith and found a corpse in my arms on awakening; I drank and danced all night with doubt and found her a virgin in the morning.

Strongripology priest
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

^^ Ilium and its sequel Olympos are great and funny. I like Dan Simmons style in those books and how he mix hard(ish) sci-fi with ancient history and humour. Brilliant.

I'm currently reading Song of Ice and Fire series, i'm in the middle of the second book (A Clash of Kings), i read A Game of Thrones last week, and so far so good. I like how RR Martin doesn't rely that much on magic or weird creatures to develop an interesting (and thus far pretty captivating for me) plot in a fantasy/medieval world. Sure there are mentions to drangons, extrange creatures living in the outter limits of the world and old (now extinct) races but (as I've said, at least until the point i'm right now) there are no ad-hoc appareances of magical and unheard-of solutions to character situations (say, being rescued by a giant eagle or "That was done by a wizard").

No trees were killed in the posting of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Storm
    there are no ad-hoc appareances of magical and unheard-of solutions to character situations (say, being rescued by a giant eagle or "That was done by a wizard").
    This is termed deux ex machina and is regarded as poor writing/story telling. Sometimes it is used for comedic effect, but mostly the use of it is just someone being lazy or abusive to the audience.

Most Helpful Member 2008
    December 2008 MOTM
    My Log - Join the Journey!
    Aussie Lift-Off

Strongripology priest
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

tim it's deus ex machina (deuS not deuX) and i just didn't want to sound like a prick using latin, although It seems that you english-speakers love using it

Strongripology priest
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

eh... now i wonder why i used ad-hoc hahahaha. I'm a prick and can't help it lol

Anyway, Song of Ice and Fire: good read.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

currently reading Franz Kafka's Metamorphosis.

good read so far, the story makes you think a lot about change.

Natzo's LOG - Check my workouts!ASC 09 Top 5 pick Champion'10 MM fantasy Football league Champion

Strongripology priest
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

^^ You won't regret reading that Natzo, good choice. Kafka's "The Castle" (at least "El Castillo" is the spanish tittle) is also very good.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by Storm View Post
    ^^ You won't regret reading that Natzo, good choice. Kafka's "The Castle" (at least "El Castillo" is the spanish tittle) is also very good.
    I already bought George Orwell's Animal Farm to read when I finish Kafka's.

I for sure will check the Castle afterwards.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Quote Originally Posted by tim290280 View Post
    This is termed deux ex machina and is regarded as poor writing/story telling. Sometimes it is used for comedic effect, but mostly the use of it is just someone being lazy or abusive to the audience.
    Lost's final episode was a good example of Deus ex machina... but that doesn't mean it's lazy, abusive or insulting,though I thik it depends from person to person.

ps: epis. 19 of the First season was called Deus ex machina.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

tim it's deus ex machina (deuS not deuX) and i just didn't want to sound like a prick using latin, although It seems that you english-speakers love using it
    We both fucked up

I prefer using the correct terminology, as ad-hoc is just as bad and not entirely accurate. I wanted to add the terminology in case you weren't aware of it so you could look it up and see other examples. I hate the use of it, but some shows laud it, like Star Trek (in fact Futurama lampooned this particular point).

Quote Originally Posted by Natzo
    Lost's final episode was a good example of Deus ex machina... but that doesn't mean it's lazy, abusive or insulting,though I thik it depends from person to person.

ps: epis. 19 of the First season was called Deus ex machina.
    Clearly they didn't because mvsf1 disagreed with my points about this.....

But yes, they commonly used this and several other reviled techniques on Lost. It is one of the many things I disliked about Lost. Plus the finale was just lame, it was like a homage to deus ex machina.

Strongripology priest
    Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Enough of this shit. There are book reviews on Lost's thread and now Lost chitchat in here?

Back to books: Thoughts about Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon? wikipedia article
    I enjoyed it a lot, but i'm a computer scientist so my sense of humour and background is optimal for this book(s). I wonder what do people with other backgrounds think about it and if you got bored/lost when any member of the Waterhouse family goes ultra-nerd.

I also tried to read "Baroque Cycle" but i got bored in the third novel, original Cryptonomicon is much better imo (the storyline with Sir Isaac Newton in the first Baroque novel is kinda good but overall I find it mediocre).

Reading another John Grisham book. The Appeal. They are enjoyable easy reads.

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

Enough of this shit. There are book reviews on Lost's thread and now Lost chitchat in here?

Back to books: Thoughts about Neal Stephenson's Cryptonomicon? wikipedia article
    I enjoyed it a lot, but i'm a computer scientist so my sense of humour and background is optimal for this book(s). I wonder what do people with other backgrounds think about it and if you got bored/lost when any member of the Waterhouse family goes ultra-nerd.

I also tried to read "Baroque Cycle" but i got bored in the third novel, original Cryptonomicon is much better imo (the storyline with Sir Isaac Newton in the first Baroque novel is kinda good but overall I find it mediocre).
    The problem isn't following the technical details it is whether they have any place in the book. If you have to explain a concept so that the reader/audience is up with the story then you need them, if they can be referenced without necessarily going into banal details then you should never ever go there. For example, guns appear in a lot of books and movies, but most of the time you don't need to say that you are using the X brand of the X type of gun with X loading of bullet that is of X variety, but if you have a scene that is describing a silent kill then you might mention subsonic rounds through a silencer or how accurate or reliable the weapon in question is.

I'm reading graphic novesl because I'm too stupid to be captivated unless there are pictures.

Been working my way through a lot of Frank Miller's stuff and Alan Moore.

Thanks.

THE PEOPLE'S CHAMP!

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

i read THE BATTLE FOR STALINGRAD (William craig) some time ago, good in recreations, and very rich describing the miserable life conditions.
    It doesnt go deep into human mind though.
    Not that kind of book, but a good read for war books/movies fans who want to go beyond the bullets and explosions.

ps. i would give that kafka's book a try, im searching for more "classics" books, something i have always feared because of complex languaje, but now i feel in the mood for it

any more recommendations for a beginer?

Not a book, but I seriously recommend Max Tegmark's papers on physics. I was inspired after reading Neal Stephenson's Anathem.

Good stuff, and non-technical enough that laymen like me can still appreciate it.

[astro-ph/0302131] Parallel Universes

[0707.2593] Many lives in many worlds

[0905.1283] The Multiverse Hierarchy

[0905.2182] Many Worlds in Context

Height

Weight

Biceps

Chest

Waist

I've been plowing through books this last couple of weeks:

Recoil - Andy McNab
    Interesting story and felt like it was told from a soldier's perspective. Chapters were really short, which stuck out at me, but it was an easy enjoyable read. I'm just starting Liberation Day of McNab's now.

Dead and Kicking - Geoffrey McGeachin
    Australian crime/thriller fiction and was pretty good. Very fast paced, easy read (polished the book off in roughly a day) and enjoyable. The author though was either trying to be too ocker/Aussie, or he was being satirical (I believe it had to be the former, unless he like subtle juxtaposition of class and elegance with "common" language). The other thing was it read like an Ian Flemming novel with more American bashing. This wasn't a bad thing, but I can see why it didn't appeal to a wider audience.

I'm pretty much convinced that I've read too many "arty" books. These last couple took me days to read, rather than feeling like a labour. I remember trudging through stuff like Robinson Crusoe, Prince and the Pauper, Faust, The Divine Comedy, etc. Sure they were great, but they were so much work for the reader. Now I'm realising that it doesn't have to be.

• MuscleMecca Sponsors

MuscleMecca Bodybuilding advertising
      MuscleMecca.com
      Your Muscle Building,
      Power Lifting, Weight Training
      Steroids, Testosterone and Bodybuilding Chemical,
      Bodybuilding Forum

We stand behind our bodybuilding products and assure QUALITY

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Bodybuilding Threads

1. Official sex thread
    By Zigurd in forum Off-Topic Discussion