• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

BCAA's

M

mahrousd

How important is taking bcaa's during your workout? Right now i'm currently taking ON's Pro Complex protein and it says it's loaded with 14,000 mg of bcaa's. Do ya'll think it would be a waste or non-sense to take anymore during workout or throughout the day? Also right now i'm trying to cut down on body fat and maintain my muscles.

PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I have never taken anything during training, 2 scoops after training of whey protein is enough with some carbs

Drink lots of water during training

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
If your cutting BCAA are not worth it they add extra calories to your diet...
I for one love taking BCAA OR EAA During my work out I seem to recover quicker..
I say the are worth it if your just trying to maintain muscle mass...
I say buy a small jug of it and see if it works for you Its rather cheap...

But I am also a believer of the Milo method of taking BCAA with a Carbohydrate ( Waxy Maize) During the off season.

So just see what works for you...

M

mahrousd

What brand do you recommend is the best?

Natzo

Natzo

Elvira turns me on
VIP
It used to be a staple on my diet... but I don't take them for a while now and I don't miss them at all.

I say if you have money to spend on supplements why not?

But for me, money is short and With a high protein diet through out the day they turned out to be useless.

miamiracing

miamiracing

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i noticed faster recovery and build muscle faster.. specially in triceps area..

i use it and after i used 1 bucket i don't use it for about 4 weeks after that another bucket. everytime im in the "off" area i feel like muscle grow stopped and right after i take it again it starts growing again.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would not drink anything but water during a workout. Even if it is something like sugar or bcaa. Digestion is one of the biggest if not the biggest energy expenditure our body has and for it to take place during a workout is not a very effective way to be working out. save the nutrition for before and after he workout.

PWO try
6 oz of freshly juiced spinach juice. w BCAA pills or powder
wait 15 minutes
then go for 3g carbohydrates per kg of bodyweight i would go half simple sugars half starch like pasta
then 30 mins
later go for the whey 40 g

If you do it all at one time digestion will take around 3 hours if you do them one at a time and wait it takes literally half the time. The reason is b/c the environment needed to break down the food is different for each macro nutrient. For example protein needs a highly acidic environment, and carbohydrates still need an acidic environment but noticeably less acidic if you eat the two together it takes longer for the food to move past the stomach than if u eat the food individually.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I would not drink anything but water during a workout. Even if it is something like sugar or bcaa. Digestion is one of the biggest if not the biggest energy expenditure our body has and for it to take place during a workout is not a very effective way to be working out. save the nutrition for before and after he workout.

Ben, theoretically, eh.... practically, studies have been done showing that a liquid drink with up to 60g carbs/L had no effect on plamsa blood concentration, and D2O in the plasma (a marker of fluid emptying into the blood) was no significantly different than compared to water. (1). You'd have to be like, eating a pizza during a workout or something to significantly change energy from being used for exercise to digestion.

1) Carbohydrate-electrolyte drinks: effects on endurance cycling
in the heat. Am J Clin Nutr. Davis et al. 48 (4): 1023.

PWO try
6 oz of freshly juiced spinach juice. w BCAA pills or powder
wait 15 minutes
then go for 3g carbohydrates per kg of bodyweight i would go half simple sugars half starch like pasta
then 30 mins
later go for the whey 40 g

If you do it all at one time digestion will take around 3 hours if you do them one at a time and wait it takes literally half the time. The reason is b/c the environment needed to break down the food is different for each macro nutrient. For example protein needs a highly acidic environment, and carbohydrates still need an acidic environment but noticeably less acidic if you eat the two together it takes longer for the food to move past the stomach than if u eat the food individually.

Spinach is high in antioxidants, you don't want this after a workout or you may impair the ability of the body to make mitochondrial adaptations which provide its own "natural antioxidant" effect.

Carbohydrates don't digest in the stomach.... protein does a little bit, but then moves to the small intestine too.

You're worrying too much about details.
-Eat a good meal around 2 hours before.
-some BCAA's/gatorade during a workout if you wish
-a shake with whey/dextrose after
- then a solid meal around 1-2 hrs after that.

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ben, theoretically, eh.... practically, studies have been done showing that a liquid drink with up to 60g carbs/L had no effect on plamsa blood concentration, and D2O in the plasma (a marker of fluid emptying into the blood) was no significantly different than compared to water. (1). You'd have to be like, eating a pizza during a workout or something to significantly change energy from being used for exercise to digestion.

1) Carbohydrate-electrolyte drinks: effects on endurance cycling
in the heat. Am J Clin Nutr. Davis et al. 48 (4): 1023.

Spinach is high in antioxidants, you don't want this after a workout or you may impair the ability of the body to make mitochondrial adaptations which provide its own "natural antioxidant" effect.

Carbohydrates don't digest in the stomach.... protein does a little bit, but then moves to the small intestine too.

You're worrying too much about details.
-Eat a good meal around 2 hours before.
-some BCAA's/gatorade during a workout if you wish
-a shake with whey/dextrose after
- then a solid meal around 1-2 hrs after that.

Fair enough about the Gatorade you posted a study. I always got nauseated when i drank n e thing but water but that is my reaction and im sure not the same for everybody.

The spinach fits almost perfect nutritionally after a workout with the calcium and magnesium and the amino's in it. I don't know that i would change that because of antioxidants in the spinach. Not disagreeing with you but am not sure which is more beneficial getting the nutrients or avoiding the antioxidants. And if i read a number of studies showing that avoiding the antioxidants was more beneficial than getting the nutrients from the spinach i would change my view.

I apologize i should have been more specific about digestion and what i was referring to about the stomach. I wasn't saying the food was digested and absorbed but i was referring to the environment and time it takes to make a bolus out of the foods separately compared to when u eat the foods all at once and together. The food if ate together would take much longer to pass than if u had eaten it separately and waited the appropriate times, in reference to whole foods. Spinach will pass in 15 mins the carbohydratess will pass in 45 and the whey will pass in 25 min or very close to those times depending on the person. Then think of what the blood stream gets hit with micro nutrients, sugar, enzymes, phytonutrients and aminos. The benefit of what comes out of whole foods nutritionally is greater than what comes out of dextrose and whey. But your absolutely right whey and dextrose would pass the quickest. And that would have the benefit of getting macronutrients to the muscles quicker i agree. Thats the point of view i am coming from, and i don't doubt that u could make an argument just as good from your POV i am just extending my previous post to better explain why it is i feel the way i do so i dont look dumb in light of your post bro b/c it was right.

:thumbsup2:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
The spinach fits almost perfect nutritionally after a workout with the calcium and magnesium and the amino's in it. I don't know that i would change that because of antioxidants in the spinach. Not disagreeing with you but am not sure which is more beneficial getting the nutrients or avoiding the antioxidants. And if i read a number of studies showing that avoiding the antioxidants was more beneficial than getting the nutrients from the spinach i would change my view.

Spinach is one of the healthiest foods there is, for sure.... just avoid antioxidants post workout, people would certainly do well to eat it other times when possible. .