• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

MLB’s J.C. Romero Suing Supplement Makers

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
MLB’s J.C. Romero Suing Supplement Makers Over Positive Steroid Test
By Michael O’Keeffe and Nathaniel Vinton

Suspended Phillies reliever J.C. Romero is suing the makers and distributors of nutritional supplements that he says are responsible for his positive steroid test last August.

The 27-page lawsuit, filed Monday in New Jersey Superior Court in Camden County, blames the product 6-OXO Extreme for traces of androstenedione found in the pitcher’s urine on Aug. 26, 2008.

The numerous counts in the lawsuit include negligence, intentional misrepresentation and consumer fraud. The four defendants named are GNC, Vitamin Shoppe, Ergopharm and Proviant Technologies.

The latter two companies are owned and operated by Patrick Arnold, an Illinois-based chemist who did time in federal prison for his role in the BALCO affair. Arnold did not immediately have a comment on the lawsuit.

“I purchased an over-the-counter supplement that I was told and believed would not cause me to test positive,” Romero said in a statement released by his legal team Monday. “These events have hurt me deeply and placed a cloud over my career, accomplishments and family. It is my hope that I can finally start to put this event behind me and protect the interests of others who rely on manufacturers and retailers to be honest about their products.”

Romero tested positive for androstenedione on Aug. 26, 2008, just six weeks before he helped win two games to lead the Phillies to a World Series championship, but his 50-game ban was not made public until January of this year.

In September, even before the World Series, Romero was notified of the positive test and demanded an arbitration hearing. At the end of that month, the baseball players’ union sent the product he used to a Tennessee laboratory that reported back on Oct. 3 that the product was indeed contaminated.

That doesn’t surprise Gary Wadler, a New York internist affiliated with the World Anti-Doping Agency who said the Romero situation highlighted a well-known problem with the under-regulated supplement industry.

“We have made it clear that athletes are at great risk when they take supplements,” Wadler said. “They have little to gain and a lot to lose. The cost-benefit ratio is costly. Supplements do little for you. You’re playing Russian roulette with supplements.”

Major League Baseball announced the suspension in January. Banned for the first 50 games of the season, Romero has been allowed to work out with the Phillies in spring training and in pregame practices, but is not being paid

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/b...suspended_phillies_reliever_jc_romero_su.html

2d2g55g-1.jpg

Tech

Tech

Ron Paul FTW
VIP
this happens quite often in professional sports.

if a company is being deceitful about their product, you have every right to sue.

Milligan41088

Milligan41088

I am from philly and think this whole thing is such bullshit..let romero play we need him in our bullpen

MrChewiebitums

MrChewiebitums

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
it is possible that it was their fault but AFAIK in now way do they say their product is free of the stuff or anything like that

Kanav

Kanav

if a company is being deceitful about their product, you have every right to sue.

yeah but being a professional athlete, shouldn't you scrutinize every supplement you take in and verify beforehand if it could possibly screw you over in the end?

M

mvsf1

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^ Then you would analyse all food you take? I assume what is in the legal market is in good condition for human beings.

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I agree. If you put something on the label, it should be whats in the bottle. Like if you buy Vitamin C and inside its really something else.

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
yeah but being a professional athlete, shouldn't you scrutinize every supplement you take in and verify beforehand if it could possibly screw you over in the end?

Who knows, maybe he was taking roids and is now blaming the natural products? Like "I took some cough mixture, that is all!"

Kanav

Kanav

^^ Then you would analyse all food you take? I assume what is in the legal market is in good condition for human beings.

yeah but food is in a different category because we know that food alone isnt going to make you test positive. Some supplements are in a gray area and as a professional, I think you should be pretty anal with supplements for precisely this reason. (considering the well publicized backlash of athletes using roids)

Although sexnews does bring up a pretty valid point. This guy could just be diverting attention away from himself and setting himself up as a victim.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff