• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Ramirez suspended 50 games for drug violation

Big VIC

Big VIC

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
y RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer

NEW YORK (AP)—Manny Ramirez(notes) was suspended for 50 games by Major League Baseball on Thursday, becoming the latest high-profile player ensnared in the sport’s drug scandals.

The commissioner’s office didn’t announce the specific violation by the Los Angeles Dodgers outfielder, who will lose about one-third of his $25 million salary.

“Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was OK to give me,” Ramirez said in a statement issued by the players’ union.

“Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I’ve taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.”

This is the second major drug revelation to hit baseball in the last few months. In February, Alex Rodriguez(notes) admitted taking steroids while playing for Texas from 2001-03. But that was before the start of testing with penalties under a program agreed to by players and management. The New York Yankee star doesn’t appear likely to be suspended.

Ramirez is the third player suspended this year under the major league program, following Philadelphia reliever J.C. Romero(notes) and Yankees pitcher Sergio Mitre(notes).

Just two relatively low-profile players were suspended under the major league program last year, San Francisco catcher Elizier Alfonzo and Colorado catcher Humberto Coto.

In the past, the best-known player penalized was Baltimore’s Rafael Palmeiro, who received a 10-day suspension in 2005, the first year of penalties for first infractions.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I'm curious as to what drug it was

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was watching the news tonight and they said that he was perscribed HCG. Thats really interesting because HCG really wouldn't boost him so much to were he would need to be suspended for this long.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
I was watching the news tonight and they said that he was perscribed HCG. Thats really interesting because HCG really wouldn't boost him so much to were he would need to be suspended for this long.

I haven't read much about this case (namely because I don't care about baseball, and the ignorance the media has on issues related to steroid use angers me to great extent).... but hCG is most often thought of a a "post cycle" support therapy as it is so structurally related to LH and thus able to restore testicular function. However, hCG is also used in men in cases of infertility, particularly those who have hypogonadotropic hypogonadism, where it may be used by itself (to start), or in conjunction with hMG to progress the therapy. So, maybe he was coming off a cycle, or maybe he was having reproductive problems.

Either way, this is stupid.

Duality

Duality

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i believe it was actually clomid. i saw a brief little thing on ESPN discussing clomid, and now this story, makes sense. not anything that would give you a major edge, but of course MLB is too fucking stupid to know that as well as the public.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
i believe it was actually clomid. i saw a brief little thing on ESPN discussing clomid, and now this story, makes sense. not anything that would give you a major edge, but of course MLB is too fucking stupid to know that as well as the public.

ESPN reported hCG... which they said has similar therapeutic use as Clomid

Oloz

Oloz

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That sucks bad for Manny, one of the greatest hitters in the game and a future hall of famer is going to have this haunt him.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
That sucks bad for Manny, one of the greatest hitters in the game and a future hall of famer is going to have this haunt him.

He can easily save himself from this...... he said initially that it was doctor prescribed I believe..... all he has to do is have a tearful press conference with his doctor and say he took it because he had reproductive problems and he and his wife were trying to have another child....

Big04pimpin

Big04pimpin

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
He can easily save himself from this...... he said initially that it was doctor prescribed I believe..... all he has to do is have a tearful press conference with his doctor and say he took it because he had reproductive problems and he and his wife were trying to have another child....

Ya, totally. They also prescribe it for fat loss in men and women. I know a owner of a company that does that and makes big $$$$.

bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Yeah I highly doubt he was using it coming off of a cycle. This would be the wrong time in baseball for to even attempt coming off. and I highly doubt his doctor will back him. He was pretty pissed about his doctor not checking to see if he could take this. I really feel for him to be so pissed at the doctor that he was using either because he had low test levels or because of the infertility issues.

MuscleMecca Crew

Mecca Staff
bambam55

bambam55

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP

I agree, sucks big time for him and he wasn't even using something hardcore like ole lying Palmerio.

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
Ya, totally. They also prescribe it for fat loss in men and women. I know a owner of a company that does that and makes big $$$$.

This probably wouldn't be the best thing Manny Ramirez could say to the media to explain his use of it ;)

. He was pretty pissed about his doctor not checking to see if he could take this. I really feel for him to be so pissed at the doctor that he was using either because he had low test levels or because of the infertility issues.

I can't remember but there was football player who was pretty pissed at MuscleTech because "it put steroids in Nitrotech" which caused his positive drug test, or the Tour de France cyclist who tested positive for testosterone because an evil masseuse rubbed cream on him which was probably testosterone :umwtf:

If he was using hCG, he either took it knowingly for a medical point reason, or knowingly for a therapeutic reason.