• musclemecca bodybuilding forums does not sell or endorse any bodybuilding gear, products or supplements.
    Musclemecca has no affiliation with advertisers; they simply purchase advertising space here. If you have questions go to their site and ask them directly.
    Advertisers are responsible for the content in their forums.
    DO NOT SELL ILLEGAL PRODUCTS ON OUR FORUM

Fructose Worse Than Glucose

sexnews

sexnews

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
New research shows that there are big differences in how the sugars fructose and glucose are metabolized by your body. Overweight study participants showed more evidence of insulin resistance and other risk factors for heart disease and diabetes when 25 percent of their calories came from fructose-sweetened beverages instead of glucose-sweetened beverages.

A study looked at 32 overweight or obese men and women. Over a 10-week period, they drank either glucose or fructose sweetened beverages totaling 25 percent of their daily calorie intake.

Both the groups gained weight during the trial, but imaging studies revealed that the fructose-consuming group gained more of the dangerous belly fat that has been linked to a higher risk for heart attack and stroke. The fructose group also had higher total cholesterol and LDL (”bad”) cholesterol, and greater insulin resistance.

This is not the first study showing that fructose harms your body in ways glucose does not. Two years ago, another study concluded that drinking high-fructose corn syrup (HFCS) — the main ingredient in most soft drinks throughout the world — increases your triglyceride levels and your LDL (bad) cholesterol.

And, just like this latest study, these harmful effects only occurred in the participants who drank fructose — not glucose.

How Much Fructose are You Consuming?

Today, 55 percent of sweeteners used in food and beverage manufacturing are made from corn, and the number one source of calories in America is soda, in the form of high fructose corn syrup.

Food and beverage manufacturers began switching their sweeteners from sucrose (table sugar) to corn syrup in the 1970s when they discovered that HFCS was not only far cheaper to make, it’s also about 20 times sweeter than table sugar.

This switch drastically altered the average American diet.

Corn syrup is now found in every type of processed, pre-packaged food you can think of. In fact, the use of HFCS in the U.S. diet increased a staggering 10,673 percent between 1970 and 2005, according to a recent report by the USDA.

By USDA estimates, about one-quarter of the calories consumed by the average American is in the form of added sugars – the majority of which comes from high fructose corn syrup.

As I’ve mentioned on numerous occasions, processed foods account for more than 90 percent of the money Americans spend on their meals, so it’s no wonder the yearly sugar consumption of the average American weighs in around 142 pounds a year.

This is a staggering amount, but if you eat mainly processed foods, you’re likely in this category whether you’re consciously aware of consuming that much sugar or not.

Ironically, the very products that most people rely on to lose weight — low-fat diet foods — are often those that contain the most fructose!

My personal recommendation is to ideally limit your intake of added sugar to about 5 pounds per year in order to optimize your overall health, and one of the easiest ways to accomplish this is to focus on fresh, whole foods that have not been altered and processed.

Fructose is Metabolized Differently by Your Body

Despite the fact that this and other studies show clear differences in how fructose is metabolized by your body, researchers like principal investigator Peter J. Havel, PhD, and cardiologist James Rippe (who is also a consultant for the Corn Refiners Association), claim that the findings do not prove that HFCS is worse for your health than other sugars.

That simply makes no sense.

They keep claiming that HFCS is chemically similar to other widely used sweeteners, including table sugar (sucrose), honey, and even sweeteners made from concentrated fruit juices.

But this is clearly not true.

HFCS is a highly processed product that contains similar amounts of unbound fructose and glucose. Sucrose, on the other hand, is a larger sugar molecule that is metabolized into glucose and fructose in your intestine.

And whereas the glucose in other sugars are converted to blood glucose, fructose is a relatively unregulated source of fuel that your liver converts to fat and cholesterol.

There is over 35 years of hard empirical evidence, in addition to this latest study, showing refined man-made fructose like HFCS metabolizes to triglycerides and adipose tissue, not blood glucose.

The danger of that is that fructose does not stimulate your insulin secretion, nor enhance leptin production, which is thought to be involved in appetite regulation. This was detailed in one of the most thorough scientific analyses published to date on this topic.

Because insulin and leptin act as key signals in regulating how much food you eat, as well as your body weight, dietary fructose can also contribute to increased food intake and weight gain.

So, if you need to lose weight, fructose is one type of sugar you’ll definitely want to avoid, particularly in the form of HFCS.

Beware of New Super-Charged Fructose Sweetener!

Despite the evidence against fructose, industry has created a new high-octane version of HFCS that’s 99 percent fructose, called “crystalline fructose.”

Clearly, all the health problems associated with HFCS could become even more pronounced with this product.

Adding insult to injury, crystalline fructose may also contain arsenic, lead, chloride and heavy metals — a virtual laundry list of toxic agents you clearly want to avoid at all cost. Especially if you have children, as all of these contaminants can impact your child’s development and long-term health.

Fructose Raises Your Risk of Heart Disease

Aside from the weight gain and increased risk of diabetes, fructose has been shown to increase your triglyceride levels. In one previous study, eating fructose raised triglyceride levels by 32 percent in men.

Triglycerides, the chemical form of fat found in foods and in your body, are not something you want in excess amounts. Forty years worth of research has confirmed that elevated blood levels of triglycerides, known as hypertriglyceridemia, puts you at an increased risk of heart disease.

How to Have Your Cake and Eat it Too

Ideally I recommend that you avoid sugar, in all forms. This is especially important for people who are overweight or have diabetes, high cholesterol or high blood pressure.

But if you’re looking for the occasional sweet treat, I recommend:

1. The herb stevia (this is the best and safest sweetener, although illegal to use as a food additive, according to the FDA)
2. Organic cane sugar
3. Raw, organic honey

I recommend avoiding all other types of sugar, including fructose, HFCS, and any type of artificial sweeteners. As I mentioned earlier, the absolute easiest way to do this is to stop drinking soda and avoid processed foods.

Small amounts of whole fruit, which do contain fructose, are typically not a problem. As long as you’re healthy, feel free to enjoy fruit and berries in moderation according to your nutritional type.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/a...ructose-Truly-is-Much-Worse-Than-Glucose.aspx

The Creator

The Creator

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There is absolutely no research to show that there is anything wrong with HFCS. Obviously, it is a sugar and should be treated as such but the idea that we are creating an obese nation or any other "epdemics" due to this sugar is not correct. As far as fructose goes, it will actually digest slower than glucose. As glucose passes by the liver, the liver says "go on you look fine" and as fructose passes by the liver it says "your not going out there looking like that". This is the reason for fructoses lower GI index.

"fructose is a relatively unregulated source of fuel that your liver converts to fat and cholesterol."
^^ This makes no sense to me. Fructose will first be used as a source of fuel because it is a CALORIE!

I would love to see some legitimate research that further validates this claim because I simply dont buy it. I recently sat in a conference of dieticians and doctors where they broke down both fructose and HFCS and made it very clear that they are not the evil they are made out to be. Personally I think that the buzz on HFCS is all just an excuse for an obese nation. Sure, since we started using HFCS the nation has become more obese but it is also the same time that big gulps went from 32 ounces to 64! People keep looking for a "reason" as to why this terrible "disease" of obesity is sweeping the nation. Go drive down a busy road in your city and look at all the filthy fast food you pass by. But noooooo, it cant be the fact that people are absolutely SHOVING calories in there face by the thousands OR the fact that we are so sedentary its pathetic, no it must simply be the HFCS....Rightttttttttt:doh:

Adam23

Adam23

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
^^^exactly !!! great post creator !!! repped :thumbsup2:

Ironslave

Ironslave

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
There is absolutely no research to show that there is anything wrong with HFCS. Obviously, it is a sugar and should be treated as such but the idea that we are creating an obese nation or any other "epdemics" due to this sugar is not correct. As far as fructose goes, it will actually digest slower than glucose. As glucose passes by the liver, the liver says "go on you look fine" and as fructose passes by the liver it says "your not going out there looking like that". This is the reason for fructoses lower GI index.

"fructose is a relatively unregulated source of fuel that your liver converts to fat and cholesterol."
^^ This makes no sense to me. Fructose will first be used as a source of fuel because it is a CALORIE!

I would love to see some legitimate research that further validates this claim because I simply dont buy it. I recently sat in a conference of dieticians and doctors where they broke down both fructose and HFCS and made it very clear that they are not the evil they are made out to be. Personally I think that the buzz on HFCS is all just an excuse for an obese nation. Sure, since we started using HFCS the nation has become more obese but it is also the same time that big gulps went from 32 ounces to 64! People keep looking for a "reason" as to why this terrible "disease" of obesity is sweeping the nation. Go drive down a busy road in your city and look at all the filthy fast food you pass by. But noooooo, it cant be the fact that people are absolutely SHOVING calories in there face by the thousands OR the fact that we are so sedentary its pathetic, no it must simply be the HFCS....Rightttttttttt:doh:

I think there are many good points in this post, but I don't agree with everything. There's no doubt in my mind that Creator is right in that things like 64oz big gulps and large overall energy intake combined with low expendature is much more of a problem than HFCS.

Initially, fructose first gets phosphorylated by fructokinase in the liver, which is then split into two three carbon phosphates. The thing about this is that it bypasses the enzyme PFK, and thus uptake in the liver is not inhibited at the PFK step like glucose is (large part why fructose is more readily converted into liver glycogen). BUT, what does happen by bypassing PFK is that this provides carbons which can be added to acylglycerol molecules, thus increasing hepatic triglyceride production(1). It is therefore more likely to cause denovo-lipogenis compared to glucose (2).

It is my understanding that fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion due to the absence of glut-5 transporters in the pancreatic beta cells (these are the fructose transporters). While this may seem beneficial, problem is that this eliminates a satiety response of insulin action in the CNS. It is important to note that there is a big difference between normal insulin responses to consuming high fructose meals in which circulating insulin concentrations quickly rise and fall (short term), and chronic hyperinsulinemia (long term consumption) occurring secondary due to ß cell adaptation to insulin resistance (eventually, type 2 diabetes). Furthermore, fructose does not stimulate leptin production as much as glucose.

I think that there is little doubt that HFCS is certainly something which should be avoided as much as possible... however again Creator is correct, just because you avoid putting ketchup on your deep fried french fries does not mean you're making a healthy choice.

1)Mayes PA. Intermediary metabolism of fructose. Am J Clin Nutr 1993;58(suppl):754S–65S

2) Schwarz J-M, Neese RA, Turner SM, Nguyen C, Hellerstein MK. Effect of fructose ingestion on glucose production (GP) and de novo lipogenesis (DNL) in normal and hyperinsulinemic obese humans. Diabetes 1994;43(suppl):52A (abstr).

BigBen

BigBen

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is my understanding that fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion due to the absence of glut-5 transporters in the pancreatic beta cells (these are the fructose transporters). While this may seem beneficial, problem is that this eliminates a satiety response of insulin action in the CNS. It is important to note that there is a big difference between normal insulin responses to consuming high fructose meals in which circulating insulin concentrations quickly rise and fall (short term), and chronic hyperinsulinemia (long term consumption) occurring secondary due to ß cell adaptation to insulin resistance (eventually, type 2 diabetes). Furthermore, fructose does not stimulate leptin production as much as glucose.

I think that there is little doubt that HFCS is certainly something which should be avoided as much as possible... however again Creator is correct, just because you avoid putting ketchup on your deep fried french fries does not mean you're making a healthy choice.

1)Mayes PA. Intermediary metabolism of fructose. Am J Clin Nutr 1993;58(suppl):754S–65S

2) Schwarz J-M, Neese RA, Turner SM, Nguyen C, Hellerstein MK. Effect of fructose ingestion on glucose production (GP) and de novo lipogenesis (DNL) in normal and hyperinsulinemic obese humans. Diabetes 1994;43(suppl):52A (abstr).

That was the exact point i was going to raise. Nice post IS. :thumbsup2:

Mildredtabitha

Mildredtabitha

Mecca V.I.P.
VIP
It is very true. I also saw in a research report study that fructose causes diabetes and obesity.

If person A drunk coca-cola daily and person B ate chips daily. Person A is more likely to get obesity and be diabetic. This proves that fats have nothing to do with obesity. The real culprit is the fructose which is in the coca-cola.